Dark Souls 2 released

Rennn

i have to agree with a lot in this review, in dark souls 2 a lot of the thought in the game seems to be "BUT HOW CAN WE MAKE IT HARDER!!!! THATS WHAT THE FANS WANT RIGHT!!!!!" and sadly they are right, that is what most of the fans want a harder game. most fans are still asking for a harder game even if the number of cheap death is way WAY higher then DS1. yet the game is quite easy for a ranged toon, like the video says just run to a doorway and kill everything. also is the aiming for the huge weapons broken? or is it supposed to be awful?

i love the game but there are things in this game i completely hate. while in DS1 the only thing i hated was lost lizaith because im not a fan of red/orange hot places.

the original guy who made the souls game says he never made dark souls hard for the sake of being hard. dark souls 2 however is hard for the sake of being hard and i fear DS3 is gonna be full of cheap deaths

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see, the thing is, even going back to Demons Souls, the game wasnt brutal like people think it was, nor was Dark Souls really. it was a challange yes, and it punished you for dieing, but it wasnt purposefully hard. it was purposefully challenging. it required you to learn the game to succeed, to go slow, and pay attention (or die 1000 times before you finally got it, whichever was your approach) however people thought the latter was what the game was trying to achieve, so they screamed more, so the Devs, instead of making the games more challenging, they made it harder. ive noticed in DkS2 that it seems like enemies have more health and do more damage. ive always been of the opinion that if a boss can OHKO you (or two hits) then its not a challenge, its cheap. you should be able to take a hit or two from a boss, learn, and continue. you should not have to litterally avoid every hit from a boss to beat it....some will argue that this requires skill, and it does, but it moves from being a challenge to being boring....DkS2 especially revolves around the one hit roll tecnique. where you get a hit in, then roll. wait then repeat. again, some will argue this is a challenge, but i argue its a boring way to develop boss fights. fights seem to last for 10 minutes or more in Dark Souls, which again to me is boring, because its the same thing over and over.

my opinions on Dark Souls 2 come from not having beat it yet, but honestly im not a fan really. theres a lot of improvements. i hear stuff changes in NG+ which i think is a cool way to keep the challenge, and i like the way boss weapons work in this game. i like the Nexus (Majula) and i like the way Estus Flasks work. and i really like the way weapon upgrading works in this game. but theres a lot i dont like. such as the previously mentioned "one hit roll" fighting style, or the hard hitting bosses with high health requieing 15+ minutes of the "one hit roll" tecnique.

i feel at this point im just repeating and rambling, so this is where i stop. if i didnt make myself clear on any of my points, im sorry. ask questions and ill try to clear myself up in further comments haha.

also heres hoping Project Beast = Demons Souls 2!

Bosses don't require "one hit roll" technique. That is only the safest possible way to play if you don't know the fight. You exploit the frame delays on their actions to get as many hits in as you can before backing away. And some of them have dead zones on their attacks that don't even require rolling or blocking to avoid at all. The best players will maximize the amount of hits they can get in, and pick apart every vulnerability the boss has. You shouldn't be asking "how do I avoid X attack" it should be about what is the most efficient way to avoid it. Stepping back or moving/circling around to avoid an attack is always the most efficient. Then rolling, then blocking. Knowing which attacks you can avoid by stepping back/circling without blocking or rolling is key here. You don't even have to figure this out yourself, you can just watch videos on youtube and see how some of the better players are fighting certain bosses.

Edited by Beriallord

• 1 month later...

The community for this game died. Like over night it just died and no one came back. Most of popular streamers, speedrunners, serious pvp players,etc. Left. I don't even know it the dlc can bring back the community for longer than a week.

It seems that review about DS2 being a good but forgettable game was right.

The community for this game died. Like over night it just died and no one came back. Most of popular streamers, speedrunners, serious pvp players,etc. Left. I don't even know it the dlc can bring back the community for longer than a week.

It seems that review about DS2 being a good but forgettable game was right.

I play the PC version and it's community certainly hasn't died. Except for a couple of nights I've played every night since the game was released. I have characters at various stages of the game and always see phantoms, plenty of summon signs, and I can always be summoned myself without delay...sometimes immediately as I'm placing my "Golden" sign.

Dark Souls 1 was on sale recently, on PC anyway, (I don't know about console versions) so probably a lot of people are trying that out.

I don't have a PS3 so can't comment on Demon's Souls, but have watched some videos. It does look challenging.

I played through DKS1 a few times and if I had to choose I much prefer Dark Souls 2. Neither game is perfect, but a lot of people have rose coloured glasses when they talk about how great DKS1 is or was. Backstab, backstab, backstab to win, no strategy needed. Most of the last 1/3 of the game was cheap and tacked on, especially the Lost Izalith levels.

But I digress...I could talk about the pros and cons of both games for ages, but not here.

he was talking about the internet/youtube community, not its players.

i still havent beaten DkS2, havent even played it in over a month. i wanted to platinum it, like i did Demons Souls and Dark Souls, but the game is just more of the same. its not enjoyable anymore for me. at this point, im not entirely sure if ill even finish it. i was always on the fence about getting it in the first place, now i might not even go back to it, at least not any time soon.

Some of it is because people are waiting on the DLC for the "complete" game experience. Some of it is because Youtube and Twitch are highly dependent on what games are popular as a means of drawing in an endless cycle of new viewers. Some of it is because the Steam sale brought with it an increased population of cheaters which is killing the pvp experience.

Having fewer people stream/record games doesn't mean those games are bad or that people can't still have fun playing them. It does however usually happen because fewer people can make the playing of those games entertaining for those who are watching. For example... DayZ... No matter how entertaining the streamer might be, or how much fun some parts of the game might be, the frequent and long downtimes between meaningful activity makes it hard for people to be entertained.

Nah its dead. The guys who streamed dark souls non stop for 2 years left dark souls 2 before the first year.

And when they do play, they just complain about how awful soul level is.

The wiki writers, youtubers, steamers, "pro" PvP and pve players aka the community is gone.

Nah its dead. The guys who streamed dark souls non stop for 2 years left dark souls 2 before the first year.

And when they do play, they just complain about how awful soul level is.

The wiki writers, youtubers, steamers, "pro" PvP and pve players aka the community is gone.

First - You're so wrong it's funny. Every streamer and Youtube personality I've ever followed for Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is still onboard with Dark Souls 2.

Second - If you think those people represent the entire community, you've got problems. A couple dozen people aren't the community any more than the Congress is the country. There are always multiple summon signs by every boss, and scattered throughout locations, and I get invaded in ~20 seconds if I don't take precautions. There are still more people playing DKS2 than there were in DKS1 and DS combined, likely due to its larger sales figures.

Not sure why you've got a personal agenda to make up lies about a game, but you at least need to say things that any random player can't prove wrong in 10 seconds.

There are still more people playing DKS2 than there were in DKS1 and DS combined, likely due to its larger sales figures.

No? Dark Souls 2 has sold 1.2 million copies in NA/EU (no figure for World Wide), but Dark Souls sold 1.2 Million as well in NA/EU with with 2.37 million worldwide. Demons Souls sold 500k in NA and 200k in Japan. so no, there arent more players currently then there were combined. in fact, for any single console, its probably about the same. and the sales figures for DkS2 and DkS1 are roughly the same. im sure DkS2 will pass it, once its been out for the same amount of time, but still. not a large gap by any counts.