Dark Souls 2 released

Rennn

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=487

This is for anyone who plays the PC version, it's public alpha access to Gedosato, which is similar to DSfix and made by the same guy. Features include significant graphical enhancements and the capacity for texture modding, enjoy.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple things:

1. The latest patch fixed the delays in dialogue and the menu opening that were present on the console version.

2. I am currently downloading the PC version from Steam.

Edited by Rennn

the difference between the PC and PS3 version is astounding. i very well may get the PC version in the future. i would get it right now, but my desire to platinum all the Souls games on PS3 makes me need it for PS3 lol. but once ive done that, if im still interested in the game (theres several builds i wanna mess with) i may just jump on it on Steam if/when i see it for Sale

A few notes after playing the PC version for ~3 hours.

-Icons and menus are finally meant to look crisp at 1080p.

-Mouse and keyboard controls are still annoying, but no longer broken. I'm still using a 360 controller.

-Dodging seems more responsive on the PC version, even capped at 30 fps. I think the framerate dropping below 30 may have been throwing off the invulnerability frames or something on the console version. That's just a guess, but something is definitely making dodging less annoying on the PC version. I'm a Deprived with no extra points into agility, so it's not that. Might just be that I'm more used to a 360 controller than a PS3 controller after playing Dark Souls 1 with it for so long on my PC, or maybe my PS3 controller is dying.

-The FXAA on the PC version is many times higher quality than the PS3/360 FXAA. It barely blurs, it reminds me more of the FXAA implementation in Metro LL or Borderlands 2. Nvidia SGSSAA works well enough, but the FXAA is good enough that I'd rather not risk running into any graphical oddities later with SGSSAA from my drivers.

-The textures seem approximately double the resolution of the console textures.

-Haven't had any of the crashes or non-functioning controllers some people have mentioned.

-That mildly annoying white outline around SSAO in the console version is indeed fixed in the PC version.

-Various switches and pull chains are now much easier to see than they were at 720p.

-AMD owners seem to be getting the short end of the stick in overall ability to run the game as intended, based on Youtube.

-AMD owners seem to be getting the short end of the stick in overall ability to run the game as intended, based on Youtube.

CPU or GPU owners? and why?

CPU or GPU owners? and why?

GPU. I've been seeing a lot more of them talking about crashes on Youtube. Not that the people crashing are a very high percentage anyway.

good. lol i have a Radeon and i may very well get this on PC in the future

because i just gah to grab a new PS3, i lost my progress in Dark Souls 2. i was (if i had to guess) about half way through give or take. but now i have to start over. no big deal, but still a bummer. should go faster though now that i know the areas going into them.

good. lol i have a Radeon and i may very well get this on PC in the future

because i just gah to grab a new PS3, i lost my progress in Dark Souls 2. i was (if i had to guess) about half way through give or take. but now i have to start over. no big deal, but still a bummer. should go faster though now that i know the areas going into them.

Your HDD is probably good. You might be able to plug it into the new PS3, copy the save to a flash drive, then copy it to the new (presumably higher capacity) HDD.

Something stopped me from doing that when my 80GB died though, I don't remember what. Maybe I was just looking for a reason to play my games over. X3

New information:

There's a lot of talk online about using the Diablo 3 compatibility bit in Nvidia cards to make sparse grid supersampling work in Dark Souls 2, but I don't recommend it. The image quality was noticeably higher than the default FXAA, but driver SGSSAA caused graphics artifacts (faint glowing lines, compression aritfacts) around light sources and some water. The people who pay close attention all seem to confirm that online.

SMAA or even just the default FXAA would be more consistent.

not to derail but, a HDD thats been in a fat, cannot be put into a newer model without being formatted. i probably could have found a work around but didnt have the pacience. the HDD was the same size, i had a 320gb HDD in my fat.....i got back most of my stuff because of PS+ cloud storage, but for some reason, my Dark Souls 2 stuff never backed up. again not a big deal.

the worst was i lost the stuff on my subaccount that my girlfriend (and other friends) used when they cooped with me. in my gfs case, Diablo 3. all of her toons were lost. i couldnt for the life of me remember the email i used with it. i went through Sony's live chat several times trying several different things to get it but to no avail. so i deleted all my toons (to be fair) and convinced her to start over with me. luckily we had tried all the toons already, so we knew which ones were our favorite.

lol long story short, its been fine for the most part. got most everything back. the Diablo 3 thing was the worst though, because i feel bad she lost all her progress. me personally idc, ill just play again haha.