Things about Oblivion that make you roll your eyes

Megatarius

I learned to hate the gates when I first saw one in the middle of nowhere near one of the ways...about 6 guards where figthing there but no one of them tried to close the gate and I with a lousy bounty of 50septim seemed to be their greatest problem at the moment 3 dremoras spawned

Also the bounty system gets on my nerves entirely I mean there is a guy attacking me I kill him and gratulations 200o Bounty -.-

Next is the reason I gave up my mage char I mean has anybody thought about why the enemies fly 40 meters with a 5 point fireball but when I throw a 50 point lightning at them they just fall "forward"??? and it seems that nearly every half strong out there has 90% magic resistens after you cross lvl 15 or so

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just completed the King of Worms quest for the first time, killing Mannimarco and returning in "triumph" to Arcane U:

Guard: "Ah! You must be the Arcane University's newest addition! This humble battlemage bids you welcome."

Me: "What!? No, I'm the &*&$#%^& Archmage! Now show some respect before I turn you into a mudcrab!"

That's what's been bugging me lately...

here are the things i hate in oblivion

1.race selection is too small (vanilla)

2.armor and clothing are boring(vanilla)

3.weapons are boring(vanilla)

4.the blood texture is not that great(vanilla)

5.the sky;water and other staff can be more realistic(vanilla)

6.THE ANNOYING TUTIRIAL(vanilla)

7.guards

8.all the npc's are half robots

here are the things i hate in oblivion

1.race selection is too small (vanilla)

2.armor and clothing are boring(vanilla)

3.weapons are boring(vanilla)

4.the blood texture is not that great(vanilla)

5.the sky;water and other staff can be more realistic(vanilla)

6.THE ANNOYING TUTIRIAL(vanilla)

7.guards

The first three and #6 didn't really bother me that much, but the rest really kinda did. Especially the psychic guards part. How the heck do they know you killed that last legionnaire in the middle of the Nibenaen (spelling) forest miles away from any town or settlement?

Do they have instant fingerprint matching or something?

The water looks flat and fake, almost like a return to the old days of Quake 1 and Half life 1. Only just a bit more transparent, but still not nearly enough so to do the game justice.

The blood does look fake, now that you mention it. Even for a 2006 game.

The NPC's schedules are too predictable. Only a couple of them actually do anything besides wander the city all day long. They must be really bored with life to not even be working at all...

Don't forget, however, the almost empty cities as well, and horrible ratio of citizens/city guards.

I have no short list of things that disappointed or annoyed me to no end in Oblivion (having made an entire series in playthrough about it...)

But:

1. The menus. Just everything about them. Being made for console( Fallout had this problem, too, and I still don't know how to fix the console in Fallout.), Oblivion's Menus are big, clunky, and worst of all - I spend way too much time in menus of all kinds in the game. Buying, Selling, potions, potions potions. Just...UNGH.

2. NPCs. I think, as a rule, these games should feature only text with partial voice. I can't tell you how little everyone has to say. How much less interesting everyone is, how unfun it is to talk to people, to even make choices anymore. Go back to text, support it with partial acting.

3. Pot Spam. I hate chugging potions like they are water. Potions shouldn't be like that. It certainly makes a market for alchemy, but I really hate it by now for tons of reasons after so long.

4. Factions. Cyrodil can be more cosmopolitan, and everyone can love each other and be friendly, but I really, really miss Vvardenfell, where everyone hated your guts, and everyone hated each other's guts. That made what you did interesting, and it made your dealings with others important. The factions in Cyrodil needed a lot more work and things to do. You don't go around messing with others lightly.

5. Mods - Everything about mods right now. I'm very disappointed that all these masturbatory mods (from rather silly sex and clothing mods to Recent_FPS_fanboyisms) haven't been offset by mods featuring extensive improvements to content. I can find amazing things like new and original armors that are very well done, to budding ports of previous titles' items, but I can't find anything that restores any sort of substance, dialogue, or depth to cyrodil. I've been toying with writing this content myself, but it's an exhausting and useless endeavor to try to do something like inject the amount of dialogue, choices, contingencies. NPCs, and quests this thing needs. In all this: I really hate dealing with modding oblivion up because it's proven to be the most difficult and of the three bethsoft games to do without reinstalling three times just to get a clean slate. I hate making mods for this game, and I hate trying to find, install, and give a chance to mods in this game. Nothing has redeemed it yet. I don't know why I search. Maybe someday there will be a large handful of mods that will redeem the game.

My solution: Make teams, teams standardize large compendium mods by community. You guys do Bodies and clothing systems, you guys do content, you guys do gameplay, and so on. Would work way better if you took what the FO3 Community sometimes manages to do and take it up a notch.

6. Empty land. "Adventure over every hill". That's my motto. There's so many places to hide things in TES4 and FO3 and none of it is taken advantage of. A Shame. Why walk?

7. No Advantage. This is more of a vanilla thing - since things level with you - your bandits wearing Demon-armor of Doom really makes me feel like I've made no progress. It's fixable, but the entire game punishing you for getting an advantage is kinda lame.

8. For dummies. Annoys me to no end. I'm pretty sure my axe is not a blunt weapon. Who uses an axe to bludgeon people? All in the name of mass-appeal...

That's all for now - I'm sure I could rant all day, but these are the most important peeves.

That's true, but better than 100% robots (in so. . . many RPGs). Few of the few NPCs that's not robot is the companions in the KoTOR series, especially at the second one. They had feelings of their own, they have a heart, they likes/hates you more most of the time when you made choices, they often talk to each other. And the most important thing, they talk FAR more realistic than Fallout 3 or Oblivion (they talk like statues, even with "lipsynch") that was released 2 - 4 years after.

But Oblivion's AI is already good, you just need a few mods.

Ok I've got a new thing that bugs me: The entire Sneak system

What is this Sneak attack bonus nonsense?

It ALMOST makes sense for melee stuff. But I realized how totally artificial and awkward it was yesterday when using a bow.

If I'm shooting at a creature 100 yards away and it has no idea I'm there, what the hell difference does it make if I'm "Sneaking" or not?

If I crouch my damage goes up 300%, even if I hit it in the same place? What the hell?

If I run up behind someone and hit them in the back with my sword before they can react it DOESN'T do extra damage because I wasn't in sneak mode and they 'knew i was there'

WHAT THE HELL? I still stabbed them in their totally exposed back!

Speaking of which, I'd like sneak attacks better if I could actually assassinate people with it. Like, sneak up on a dude and stab him dead in one attack without his friends noticing, that sort of thing, instead of scoring a bit of extra damage before everyone breaks out the broadswords and warhammers.

Speaking of which, I'd like sneak attacks better if I could actually assassinate people with it. Like, sneak up on a dude and stab him dead in one attack without his friends noticing, that sort of thing, instead of scoring a bit of extra damage before everyone breaks out the broadswords and warhammers.
Isn't that part of the featurelist of Deadly Reflex mod? Or... I know that's part of the featurelist of one of the mods out there...pretty sure it is DR, but I could be wrong...

thieves arsenal improves sneaking as well, if i'm not mistaken. you even get a chance to hide again after you've been spotted, as long as the pc doesn't move and stays in the shadows.

yes deadly reflex allows for instantly fatal sneak attacks. sneak up behind them and slit thier throat. or from a distance (with a blade) instant decapitation, (with a blunt) smash thier skul to pieces.