Enemy AI will "shut off" during combat sometimes

Dahveed

Title is self explanatory really... For example I just entered the Imperial City, and some Mythic Dawn cultist attacked me. Holy crap, I think, I'm in trouble... I'm only lvl 3 and I have a hard time beating up Mudcrabs as it is.

But a few seconds into the combat he just shuts off. He stands there in a fixed combat pose, nothing works anymore except for his head tracker. Guards proceed to slice him to bits.

Has this been reported before? Is there any fix for it? It just totally killed all the suspense...

Could be an overload of the AI, this can happen due to too many mods with there own agenda, there is a certain mod which crippled my game until i removed it ( balloon mod)

There is a mod on here that expands the AI according to how many npcs are on screen. The other alternative is that there is a animation missing or overwritten. Maybe if you post your mod list i will have a look for you.

Hi, thanks for answering.

Here are my mods and load order:

GameMode=Oblivion

Oblivion.esm=1
Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp=1
UOPS Additional Changes.esp=1
UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp=1
Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp=1
DLCShiveringIsles.esp=1
Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp=1
USIPS Additional Changes.esp=0
Skyrimized Water HD eng.esp=1
Skyrimized Water HD BLUE eng.esp=1
Skyrimized Waters HD BLUE - SI Addon.esp=1
Skyrimized Waters HD - SI Addon.esp=1
MIS.esp=1
MIS Low Wind.esp=1
MIS New Sounds Optional Part.esp=1
Sounds of Cyrodiil.esp=1
Crowded Cities 15.esp=1
Crowded Cities 30.esp=0
Crowded Roads.esp=1
zzCCAO.esp=1
Knights.esp=1
Denock Arrows.esp=1
Stylish Jump.esp=1
Cava Obscura - Cyrodiil.esp=0
Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp=1
Bashed Patch, 0.esp=1
zzCCAOAuraAddon.esp=1
AltVillageStart.esp=1
Skyrimized Water HD BLUE ita.esp=1
Skyrimized Water HD ita.esp=1
Symphony of Violence.esp=1

If what you say about "overload" is correct then I am guessing that Crowded Cities was to blame.

You mentioned a mod that expands AI? I know Skyrim has something like this (I have it installed), called "More Brains" or something. Perhaps this is what I need.

Yeah my computer is a 12GB beast, I find it hard to believe it's an AI processing issue. (Then again, maybe it's an Oblivion game engine limitiation?) But I can't believe it's an animation issue either, as all my animations work just fine 99% of the time.

It's not happening on a regular basis, but I'm only a few hours into my playthru and this has happened maybe 4-5 times. When it does happen it completely kills any kind of suspense and immersion...

I will try your link, thanks very much for taking the time to help me.

Only need to use one of the crowded cities and only two of those skyrim water mods' esps iirc. Might want to roll that load order through boss too. Also, if you have any hirez pretty people textures or custom armor replacers and crowded cities that'll turn the world's best rigs into 21st century abacuses with this old game.

Only need to use one of the crowded cities and only two of those skyrim water mods' esps iirc. Might want to roll that load order through boss too. Also, if you have any hirez pretty people textures or custom armor replacers and crowded cities that'll turn the world's best rigs into 21st century abacuses with this old game.

Notice in my load orders that the mods you mentioned are all disabled already. However I'll give it a churn through boss, however with this few mods I doubt that would change anything... This is a very random bug, it seems.

Appreciate the help though, thank you.

Yeah it happened again just now, an imp or something that was kicking my butt just shut off. Its animations still seemed to be working (wings still fluttering, headtracking etc) but it just stood there while I hacked it to death.

Getting really annoying.

• 2 weeks later...