Favorite combat style?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Melee:

• Daggers, knives
    • Knuckle weapons (claws, katars)
    • Shortswords
    • Longswords, katanas, scimitars
    • 2h blades (dai katana, claymores...)
    • Blunt weapons (maces, waraxes, flails)
    • 2h blunt weapons (battle axe, great mace, warhammer)
    • Polearms (spears, halberds, glaives)
    • Unarmed
    • Dual wielding
  2. 2. Range:

• Thrown weaponry
    • Bow and arrow
    • Cross bow
    • (other, explain in post)
  3. 3. Magic:

• Fire magic
    • Electric magic
    • Ice magic
    • Holy magic
    • Death magic
    • (other element, explain in post)

I like using 2 handers because it allows me to bash enemies before they can come into range with their 1 hander weapons, and it appears to me they have a higher knockback.

For ranged, apparently there are greater options in Morrowind, but I haven't tried that yet, so I just use bows and arrows.

For Magic, I use mostly healing, leeching or bound item magic.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My character relies heavily on 'hired' companions (I actually pay them in gold and equipment), so I'm less on the front lines, and more in the back, adding in a few blows.

Dagger: I've no skill in any melee weapon, so a dagger (heavily poisoned) is a light weapon of last resort.

Crossbows (from Crossbows Of Cyrodil): Heavy hitting power combined with my ability to spot likely ambush points mean I get off an incredibly powerful, poisonous first strike. Groups of enemies suddenly lose their point member, and end up fighting my hired guardian while I shoot at them from the sidelines.

For magic, I use a great many poisons and potions. With a mod (I forget the name, sorry), I can give my companion (or anyone) a good potion of Resist Fire or Poison so they are not unduly harmed by my bolts from afar. Also, I use Calm, Command and Rage spells to great effect on groups of enemies. I turn allies against each other, I halt an attacker in his tracks, I turn even the kindest traveler into a raging madman, laying about with sword and spell at those around him.

Indeed, that is how I roll.

I'm really a total wuss - all my dungeon-crawling is sneaking around rendered either 50-75% (or more, but I don't really like 100% where I can't see my hands - it makes it really hard to fight) invisible or chameleon and shooting things from behind corners with a well-aimed arrow. And if somethings manages to see me before I see them, or manages to survive my first arrow damage + extra sneakattack damage and comes running at me, I pull out either dual-wielded shortswords or a one-handed longsword. Usually the longsword, so that's what I put up for the poll. Longswords are nice and pretty. I can basically fight with any melee weapons and win the fight, but longswords have definately been the preferred method since day 1 back in Morrowind.

Hmm, I love lances (not horseback) but have yet to find an actual mod that adds one :( so my next best thing to go with is spear, I also like rapiers paired with knuckle dusters... But I guess that is from my "Things I wish the Oblivion engine is capable of"; Stab, stab, punch, punch!

I'd say I prefer using the dagger to backstab people, but I like to use them reversed. I also have a passion for shortswords and shields.

Ranged..? I'd have to vote for throwing gear! Smoke bombs, Smoke screens, Flashbangs, and stuff. Easier to backstab my target if they can't see me coming! ^_^ I know I would have solved that with a bow and arrow, or something of the like, but I like a direct approach xD

Magic is ICE! Ice FTW! Ice is cool, cool is cold. Cool ice. Ice is awesome! Freezing your targets, summoning blizzards, and stuff. Besides I like the color of snow. White, cyan, light blue, crystal ice, and stuff. I like ice.

These days my combat is along these lines.

When I have no companion with me:

First I throw Grand Chain Lightning (Midas Magic) at enemy and keep going until they come to melee range or I reach them to melee range then I pull out my Samson the Claymore (Sentient Weapon II) and whack them until they drop.

While I have companion:

I take my Samson the Bow and a lot of arrows then start shooting while companion goes meat shield. Then I fill enemies with arrows as Grand Chain Lightning may do some friendly fire which is not nice.

When I have to protect somebody:

Easy Samson the Claymore does the job.

So for me it's:

Melee: 2-handed blade (Samson the Claymore) because I prefer power over speed.

Ranged: Bow and Arrows (Samson the Bow) watched too many medieval films so from there they stick.

Magic: Electric (Grand Chain Lightning) like to play the Emperor from Star Wars =P (UNLIMITED POWERRRR!!!! *starts shooting lightning bolts from my fingers*)

These days my combat is along these lines.

When I have no companion with me:

First I throw Grand Chain Lightning (Midas Magic) at enemy and keep going until they come to melee range or I reach them to melee range then I pull out my Samson the Claymore (Sentient Weapon II) and whack them until they drop.

While I have companion:

I take my Samson the Bow and a lot of arrows then start shooting while companion goes meat shield. Then I fill enemies with arrows as Grand Chain Lightning may do some friendly fire which is not nice.

When I have to protect somebody:

Easy Samson the Claymore does the job.

So for me it's:

Melee: 2-handed blade (Samson the Claymore) because I prefer power over speed.

Ranged: Bow and Arrows (Samson the Bow) watched too many medieval films so from there they stick.

Magic: Electric (Grand Chain Lightning) like to play the Emperor from Star Wars =P (UNLIMITED POWERRRR!!!! *starts shooting lightning bolts from my fingers*)

UNLIMITED POWAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Hmmm...

For melee? I love Kaleidoscope. It's my character's elven claymore... with all three elements attached to it. Thank you runeskulls!

Ranged? Bow and arrows. With flaming poisons. xD nobody expects the fire-poison.

Magic? Fire. Fire, fire, fire, fire. Though since I just loaded in Adrenaline Oblivion... I might need to look into AoE spells...

Though I do love AoE ice spells... They look aw

I generally keep my distance with the strongest bow/arrow combination I can get. I use an enchanted long sword or katana when enemies get in my face, coupled with destructive magic. I use summonings to aid me in combat, as well as illusion to paralyze and/or silence opponents.