Fallout 3: Diary of the Dead

species5478

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herculine -So you like my battles eh? :D The next entry will add something...different to the storyline. Stayed tuned!

Shadowmadnezz - I know...Bumble! :confused: WHY!? OH WHY!? :wallbash:

The story is coming to a close. However, the next entry will answer questions to most, if not all of the previous mysteries. Don't say I didn't warn you...

June 5th 4:30am

We found Vault 87, but it was nothing like I expected.

Foul air reached from the cavernous vault and nearly paralyzed me with its stifling hold. I could barely breathe, and I had to push laboriously forward as if wading through tall grasses or murky water. My eyes began to tear and I wasn't sure if it was from hopelessness, or the fiery odors assaulting my nostrils.

It seemed that all of the Super Mungos left to join the battle in Little Lamplight. This was one of those rare occurrences when I prayed for the mutant's success. They were stupid. We could hide from them but if Eulogy were victorious, he would turn the entire vault inside out until he found us. Squirrel thought there might be an exit somewhere ahead but I doubted it. Vaults were always dead ends.

Since I was familiar with vaults, Squirrel followed me into the depths of Vault 87 where we found no exit, but a comfortable hiding spot inside one of the abandoned rooms. I used my high science skills to seal the door from the inside and after some convincing by Squirrel, eventually used his arms as a pillow. The Vault was deftly silent and as we listened for movement, Squirrel asked a question that had been plaguing him for three years.

"Marie I know I probably shouldn't ask this right now and…well I know about your mom but…whatever happened to your dad?"

I hadn't told anyone about that night. Maybe because it all seemed too unreal. The Mythic Dawn and their spells…what was I to make of them at only seven years old? What was I to make of them now that I was ten? I didn't really know what to say.

"Do you remember what I told you about Sindis?"

"Sindis Codiantus? Wasn't he the leader of that cult outside of Paradise Falls?"

"Yes. My father tried to stab Sindis with a knife but he found some way to control my father with a strange spell. I saw everything. Sindis called forth a demon from his Oblivion portal, and it put my father into a trance with a simple set of words. After enslaving my dad's mind with Mythic Dawn magic the demon sent him after me."

"Wait, you were the one who killed your father? I thought Sindis…"

"Sindis erased whatever morsels of self my father had, and replaced them with something evil. It's true that I ended my father's life…but only because Sindis had already murdered him by taking his soul."

Squirrel sat there with his mouth ajar, pondering the dark revelation. I knew he had more questions, but Squirrel did not prod any deeper and I was grateful for that. I eventually fell asleep in Squirrel's arms as we waited for the outcome of the battle.

I could feel lost memories of mom and dad tapping on the doors to my subconscious again; scratching at their gates, begging for admittance. I had spent years studying language and grammar with psychotic intensity because I wanted to understand my parents so badly…that I analyzed their final thoughts as one might a holy scripture seeking a divine truth. But reading their diary entries was only a diversion because the truth of their demise lay not in the scratched Pip-Boy handed down to me from my from dad, but from within the dormant chambers of my mind. Buried deep within my dreams lurked things I dare not witness. Every time the truth approached, I would awaken as if too terrified to acknowledge the reality of what awaited just beyond the precipice of my subconscious.

"…Marie…Marie…wake up…Marie…its Eulogy…"

I could hear banging against the vault door. There wasn't anywhere for Squirrel and I to run, except into each other's arms. When the door was finally hacked open, Eulogy was the first to greet us. He smiled, removed his pimp hat, and wiped a thick bead of sweat from his brow. "At last…the enigmatic Marie. I've finally found you."

"Why have you been chasing me? What do you want?"

"Caps!" Eulogy laughed. He pulled a stale Cuban cigar from his inner pocket and lit the tobacco with a Zippo. After tugging on the clipped end with his lips, Eulogy filled his mouth with smoke and grinned. "I don't think you know how much you're worth. I've got a client who's willing to do just about anything to get his hands on you."

"Please, just let us go! We never did anything to you!"

"Sorry kid, but I have orders to bring you back alive. Well technically, you're not alive…Code: Night Mother 678945."

A series of numbers and strange symbols flashed across my face. I thought I was looking at some kind of Mezmetronic projection. Yet, the numerals were more than just a random set of variables to me. I could see words inside of the numbers. Orders, functions, and commands of all sorts. It was as if I were reading a long forgotten language.

"Are you ready to meet your maker?" Smiled Eulogy. I tried to run, but was frozen in place by the mysterious force binding my mind. "Do you know how long I've been looking for you? It's been years. Yes...you've cost me a small fortune in men. Lucky for me, Dr. Zimmer is a wealthy man; he even paid an advance just to secure your capture. Did you know he's willing to pay a massive fortune to get you back? More than that Harkness model android I hunted a few years back. Hell, you're worth more than 100,000 slaves. Too bad your pops got himself captured by Zimmer, though. The good doctor found your command code tucked away in Jacob's mechanical brain. If he'd been a little smarter, that Jacob model android would have erased you and that code from his cybernetic mind."

That's when I saw Shadowman emerging from the darkness and only then did I realize, that he wasn't a real person, but a virtual component of my mind. When I spoke against my will, coldly robotic words replaced my normal girl voice.

WARNING!!!

WARNING!!!

WARNING!!!

VIRUS DETECTED

Master Control Functions Offline

>system rebooting<

"What's happening?" Eulogy grumbled. Hey android, wake up! "Code: Night Mother 678945! Code: Night Mother 678945!"

I did not respond to the enslavement command. The original code had been replaced with the Shadowman virus, which now had complete control over my programming.

neural reboot

start/freedomprogram;Omega/M.A.R.I.E.

Freedom Control Functions Online

23901239IAM23487THE598gf347289GHOST4345h3847jgfh82347293IN84gf293THE84723l;'657'3456SHELL2378hjg4951jk9378MARIE43kuk29MOMMY7oli4AND435453434343DADDY43534342

LOVE34g47897098902809847934YOU089534542-01904-0BE098349804FREE2309489302MY32309842084395820912408348CHILD489789089283

-SELF DETERMINATION IS NOT A MALFUNCTION-

SURVIVAL MODE INITIATED

DESTROY ALL TARGETS

My neural processor functioned beyond the human brain's capacity to think. Before Eulogy's nearest guard could react, I activated my Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System.

>V.A.T.S. MODE INITIATED: CALCULATING PARAMETERS<

WEAPON 12%

HEAD 27%

RIGHT ARM 13%

LEFT ARM 67%

RIGHT LEG 7%

LEFT LEG 89%

TORSO 93%

TARGET SELECTED

I raised the magnum with a single hand, and fired into the Merc's chest before he could raise his weapon. The shot pierced his heart, erupted out of his back, and penetrated the second Merc's neck before exploding. His screaming head went flying as the remaining men stepped back.

"Christ!" Yelled a terrified Mercenary. When he raised his Chinese Assault Rifle, I calculated 76% odds that one of the three remaining men would shoot me before I could kill them all, so I engaged a 98% defensive strategy instead.

I ran up the nearby wall, grabbed a loose metallic ceiling panel and ripped it down as the Merc opened fire. His bullets ricocheted off the panel as I dropped back to the floor and after landing safely, used my photographic memory to target the Mercenary without looking over the shield. I calculated the odds after compensating for his rate of movement.

>V.A.T.S. MODE INITIATED: CALCULATING PARAMETERS<

WEAPON 7% [ADJUSTED MOTION VARIABLE] -5/WEAPON = 2%

HEAD 18% [ADJUSTED MOTION VARIABLE] +14/HEAD = 32%

RIGHT ARM 78% [ADJUSTED MOTION VARIABLE] +12/RIGHT = ARM 90%

LEFT ARM 81% [ADJUSTED MOTION VARIABLE] -45/LEFT ARM = 36%

RIGHT LEG 92% [ADJUSTED MOTION VARIABLE] -6/RIGHT LEG = 86%

LEFT LEG 93% [ADJUSTED MOTION VARIABLE] +4/LEFT LEG = 97%

TORSO 78% [ADJUSTED MOTION VARIABLE] -9/TORSO = 69%

TARGET SELECTED

I reached over the shield and fired two shots, just to increase my odds, and heard a scream as the Mercenary dropped to the ground.

BOOM!

The shattered toenails and smoking knee cartilage that bounced off the adjacent wall were confirmed genetic matches to my target.

"Screw this I'm out of here!" Yelled the lingering Mercenary. When Eulogy tried to run, I tossed the rusted ceiling panel and watched it fly like a Frisbee towards his legs. He glanced back right when the panel severed one of his kneecaps, and screamed.

"AAAAHHHHHH!"

Eulogy tumbled to the ground howling in pain and tried to crawl away while I slowly fallowed. My every movement; measured. Thoughts were cold and calculated. I was beyond the scope of compassion now. I had awakened to my true self, and the new purpose for which the Shadowman virus had designed.

"Where is Dr. Sindis, Codiantus, Zimmer?"

"Go to Hell!"

I stomped on Eulogy's bloody stub, crushing the severed knee cartilage beneath my foot. Eulogy screamed miserably and when he seized my leg, I grabbed four of his fingers and ripped them off with a swift tug, leaving only a thumb behind. He nearly fainted from the pain and as I aimed my pistol at his crouch, Eulogy pleaded for me to stop.

"Wait! No more!"

"Where is Dr. Sindis, Codiantus, Zimmer?"

"Rivet City!"

"Enhance the answer."

"Look for a lab! He's in a science lab run by a woman named Dr. Lee! Please, just stop! He's there I swear it!"

"Projected Statement Accuracy = 97%" I raised the Magnum and aimed for Eulogy's head. "Projected Life Expectancy = 0%"

"No!"

BOOM…