Playable Fallout Mech

devinpatterson

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

enemy mechs coming? mech arena!

I sure hope so. Little bit more detail about my plans from post #22;

If we're going to have a *wide* assortment of mechs we might be best off using the Military/Dept of Defense designation of AAVs (Armored Assault Vehicles). That way we can have a very wide category that's probably lore friendly since it already uses an established military term. And it would always allow you to use slag or more specific terms as sub categories. For instance if you liked the term "Walker" it could be used for the just the bipeds and quadrupeds (but not tracked mechs), but when you want to include everything you have a wider term.

Also on that subject, I was thinking it might be nice to have a quadruped, tracked, octaped mech/AAV for some variety. I believe that any skeleton with a projectile node could be suitable. I see the OWB cyberdog & the Ceantaur as possible candidates for a quadruped mech. We already have the Roboscorpions as our 8 legged variety (along with the lore for them in OWB. I can add them to my OWB expanded fairly quickly. For tracked, I think the Robobase is our only reasonable bet (although I'm going to change the model significantly).

That could give us 4 non humanoid mechs, add another 3 or 4 humanoid ones and we've got a total of 7 or 8, which isn't a bad start. I'm not sure how many we can fit into a lore friendly mod, but the VR should help a lot in that respect and it's always possible to release a version of the mod that just has the mechs without a backstory or that stays strictly within lore.

i like writing code. got any scripts for me to write

Well I expect someone that's able with scripts will be invaluable. I'll go into a bit of detail here in teh next post, and see what needs to be done.

Oh, before I forget, I thought it might be interesting to make buildings (at least small to medium) destructible by the mech. I can make the new (destroyed/damaged) models in blender and use destruction stages along with a condition (so that only mechs can damage them). That way it will seem much more realistic, figuring that a 100 ton war machine will make a sizeable dent in most structures.

I won't have time to do a massive number of models, but I can get the ball rolling.

Are talking in the ai world or in vegas?

Ai world is fine, but I surspect it would take a huge time away from the mod.

Vegas through might have too many mod conflicts for this.(And if we do it in the ai world, people will start begging us to do it in the vegas world)

I would say wait on this until the quest part done.

Edited by jesterskull25