Playable Fallout Mech

devinpatterson

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not a graphic artist. We need someone to make high res dds files for the mech HUD:

Some ideas for function and visual indicator in the mech hud:
Mine and missile detection alert. need two indicators for this

Radar-we can implement one of the already created radar huds into ours with permission.
Visual indicator for Mech health (like a life bar?) - a visual indicator for the mech, and 'power bars'
Self Healing? Could make it use a fission battery?
Radiation indicator? Like the radiation warning used the world over? a visual indicator here
Night vision-we can implement one of the already created night vision mod into ours with permission. Visual indicator here

So basically we need someone to do these visual indicators. From what I gather we need the visual indicators in .dds format and we also need normal maps.

In addition to the visual indicators we can construct the illusion of being in the mech with a series of panels. Sort of like the frame of the mech HUD.

this picture is what I envision. Tell me if you agree. Is there anyone willing to do this artwork for us, or know a modder who might be interested?

can we limit the plays fov using a variable? I figure when the mech is equipped there should be some obfuscation.

There is a FOV command but it might be a console only function. I'll have to google that.

So basically we need someone to do these visual indicators. From what I gather we need the visual indicators in .dds format and we also need normal maps.

In addition to the visual indicators we can construct the illusion of being in the mech with a series of panels. Sort of like the frame of the mech HUD.

I could see the normal maps for physical panels (since normals provide the illusion of texture), you know, if we don't go with HUD only elements for the cockpit.

is what I envision. Tell me if you agree.

I'd probably go a different direction and make retro fallout type stuff, maybe crt type monitors and give it a 50 sci fi feel

Is there anyone willing to do this artwork for us, or know a modder who might be interested?

Not right off hand I'm afraid. We can advertise and if we don't have any luck I can probably muddle through it.

can I use your mech as a base and mess with this some? will give credit where it is due

No, I don't want to fork the project, especially as a beta is just about ready for release (just need to make the hand canons).

why are all the dds files white/transparent?

Re: transparency, it would be because you have an alpha channel in there. For the HUD, I imagine that's what you would want to so the rest of the screen shows through. But in regard to the white color it's because xml lets you specify a color code (in hex format) that will color the HUD. It's why you can choose a differnt color HUD in settings (blue, amber....was there another one, maybe green? Don't know never mess with my hud).

EDIT: cr*p, accidentally included the pic.

Edited by devinpatterson

Swats Mech Beta revisions:

I have not tested this at all, so things are subject to revision. Script compiles with no errors. DevP I sent you a PM where you can download. You might want to wait for me to finish this part for ammo type damage modifiers against the mech. After that I would like to try my hand at limb damage effects.

Change log:
Disabled VATS key when in "mech"

Disabled mouse wheel when in "mech" (this will be a problem for mechs scope weapons)

Added damage modifier script that makes small arms fire essentially useless, while doubling the effect of energy weapons, launchers, explosives, and mines.

TODO:

-Improve damage modifier script; add projectile type modifiers; add 'random' variability to damage modifier
-Begin implementing HUD features like radar, projectile warnings, and mech suit health indicator.

Edited by irswat

DevP. I made some good progress today related to determining ammo types that are being fired at the mech in order to modify ammo effectiveness against mech armor.

I think the DT adjustment is really quite capable of filtering out small arms fire. It pretty much knocks out everything below the 45-70's, Gauss rifleand, AM rifle etc and reduces those a fair amount. Athough it still allows the rare critical to do a bit of damage. It's also very simple and doesn't use any resources.

I'd hate to see that work go to waste. If you feel the script fairly effecient and doesn't impact performance, we can use it. Personally I just think keeping it simple is a better way to go.

Speaking of criticals a lot of perks that alter damage to the character (prevent criticals) need to be removed while in the mech then added back in on exit. I'll try to make up a little list of them. There are also some movement perks that will have to be removed as well.

At the very least I can use the script as the basis for a new function that gets/returns ammo type. While there was already a get player ammo type function that worked, there is no truly working GetWeaponAmmoType function in NVSE at the moment.

I am wary as to whether DT adjustment is really able to accomplish the task of a weapon effectiveness gradient, based upon weapon type, projectile type, ammo type, etc. The actual damage modification formulas that I put together are rather arbitrary, and can be easily changed. If you want to incorporate DT in there it is certainly possible.

The cost/benefit analysis, and performance related questions are duly noted. I will continue to work on optimizing the code, and getting it to work...

By identifying the weapons, ammo, and projectile types being fired at the player, it is possible to make, for example, hollow tips useless against the mech, while retaining some use for an AP ammo, and make an EMP/pulse munition highly effective. It could be resistance to flame, but weak to energy, as an example.

Please disregard the dropbox link I sent you, and the code above, as it was not even tested. It was more proof of concept for how we could make a weapon effectiveness gradient contingent upon ammo type.

Edited by irswat