Why do you people do it?

Site Bot

Article link: Why do you people do it?

I wanted to use this opportunity to find out something I have always been curious about. I am fairly new to modding and the only reason I do it is for my own personal enjoyment, to make the game to my liking. To those who don’t know what modding is, mods are modifications of a game such as Oblivion. Some mods add content (such as new weapons, NPCs, quests, clothing, faces, buildings, etc.), and others seek to balance issues in the original game, such as making items or NPCs either more or less powerful. Still others seek to improve upon what was already in the game in various other ways. Some go to extreme by changing the game environment itself and adding things to the game which I call master pieces. It is amazing how much work is put into these mods. I have always been curious as why people put so much work into mods and put it on the internet only to be possibly scrutinized and battered. Most mods I’ve seen on sites are stuff you see in games at your local video game store. I want to stress that the amount of work put into these mods is simply amazing. Why do these people do it, what is the goal in putting them on the internet and why put so much work into it. Perhaps these people do it, as do I, for their own enjoyment or perhaps it is for the hope of some day receiving major recognition through the publication of a major video game.

I am not looking for an answer to a question but wanting hear why YOU do it (meaning Modders)

It's a fun hobby. I like to learn and share what I've learned. I have also learned though my years of living that the best way to know your subject material is to try and teach it to others. If you are any bit incorrect or incomplete in what you teach, you will soon find out...which is far better than never being corrected.

Sharing mods and tutorials on creating mods are a way of communicating to others and getting feedback on your own thoughts and ideas...and many times other people will point out things you never even thought of doing which just adds to the excitement.

I'll stop here before this turns into a book the size of war and peace. :)

LHammonds

Edited by LHammonds

I've always liked the idea of creating something and sharing it so that other people can enjoy it. Mods are the best way for me to do this.

My largest project is (and will be for a long time) Kragenir's Death Quest, a very large quest mod for Oblivion which I made together with Malchik. It took almost 3 years to complete and I'm very proud of the fact that we were actually able to pull this off with just the two of us.

It's also nice to be able to give something back to a modding community that has given you so much. One reason why I'm also making a small mod for Fallout 3...

I've always wanted to be a part of the video game industry, but my studies and life in general have taken me in a different direction so modding is probably as close as I'll ever get. I'm currently working on a mod that will add a large number of companion characters to Oblivion, and as I'm testing them I find it very satisfying to walk up to an NPC who has a name and face that I've created. Being a creative person, having an outlet for that creativity is almost as essential as food and water. It also feels good to be a part of this huge, worldwide community that loves the same game I love and I'm anxious to finish my first major mod so I can share it with the community. So these feelings of accomplishment and belonging are why I mod.

There's nothing more irritating than playing your favorite game wishing you had a better save system, or wishing you had more clothes, etc. etc. Sometimes, one missing element is enough to turn me off from a game entirely...

As a mod user, (I'm not a real modder, yet) there's truly nothing more satisfying than looking on the nexus, and then finding that EXACT mod you wish you could make. I can only imagine what it must feel like to create a mod that receives praise. But I think to a deeper extent, it's a gamer's hidden code of acknowledgment...the secret club...a fellowship of like minds who are able to share in the delight of a favorite game. Any contribution, good or small, adds to the community. The scrutiny we toss each others way is a form of constructive criticism, and isn't just delegated to modders. Developers get the heaviest brunt of our opinions. They're triumphs and failures are exposed in a more public venue whereas here, everything is "all in the family." I think everybody wishes inwardly, or even openly, that they could be a part of the Bethesda team. If Tod Howard walked up to me and said, "Hey Ehari, do you want to try out Oblivion 5, and tell me what you think?" I'd say bring it! :biggrin: For me, modding is a similar form of participation.

• 4 weeks later...
I've made a few mods for myself and some of my friends. What really drives us (me at least) is a sense of giving more excitement to someone who is playing the game we're modding. Ever sat down with a friend and discussed what you liked/disliked about X game? now take that, and DO something about it! It's amazing really, to know that you took an idea and made something tangible out of it. It's extremely rewarding and just altogether an awesome feeling when someone says "dude! that looks freaking sweet! I wish I could do that!". But apart from the personal gratification, I enjoy showing people techniques to help them do something just as amazing and hopefully pass me on their way to being the best at it. I love teaching people, and couple that with modding my favorite games with friends...you can see why modders sometimes do what they do ;)