Chargable Spells

grmblf

Hey grmblf, ever thought of using bullet-time when you charge spells? Just like in the Deadly Reflex mod. When you start charging, for a few seconds, the world slows down around you. This would give players a little more time to do a cast, so you might even consider adding more buttons (didn't read the whole thread, perhaps you are already doing that) so for example, in addition, a button for the area or the duration. Or both. Or a button to control any second effects the spell might have :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullet time would be very close to cheating that way. If you want bullet time for casting and all, either get Deadly Reflexs and use its bullet time. Or request someone to make a spell that activates bullet time. For I do no like this idea, for that would be cheating the system in a way, sure in reality it slows down the creatures around you and not time itself, but having this automatic and every time you start casting? No, just no. Now, I could see this more feasible if your charge also slowed down, as the magic in the surrounding area was slowed down also by bullet time, thus your charge rate slowed down, so you would still have the same power but you would have to wait longer just because the magic isn't flowing like normal.

And just to clarify this before you start saying that wouldn't happen. Magic is typically the ability and capacity to manipulate the latent energies in the universe that you cannot see, nor touch, but they are there, and by using magic you manipulate these energies to do your bidding. If its using power from within yourself, than that is typically psychic powers, or spiritual powers, but not magic. Magic comes from outside the body, the other two come from within. But beyond that. a spell that could activate bullet time for a short while might be a neat idea. But that is for a different thread, as this one is about chargeable spells. And I am glad the latest version is out. I'll give it a try asap.

I didn't know that bullet-time is possible in oblivion, really, I've never played deadly reflex yet. I'll study this option but I doubt I'm adding it on every cast, it may end up being quite annoying every time slowing down and accelerating again, and it seems quite difficult to implement right now due to how the script handles the magicka charge process as it really doesn't allow for different rates once it's started. Anyway, as ForgerOfSouls suggests perhaps certain spells with that ability may be nice.

C'mon people I need beta-testers for this mod. All those giving insighful reports will be properly credited.

Seriously I alone can't test it in all it's extension, as every character is different and have different stats, and because every player is different too and has different play-styles and use magic in a different way, so I'd really really appreciate your feedback. If you don't want/don't have time to make an in-depth testing then just leave me your impression, that'd be useful too for future improvements.

I played with it a little.

- I would prefer if the beneficial spells were on self/on target. On target accomplishes the same thing as on touch anyway, except for the magicka cost (which is negligible in my opinion) and the underwater issue, which you already handled.

- Dispel might be too powerful. I was able to cast a 116 dispel self with a character that had 85ish int/will, 170 mana, but only 15 mysticism, and it wasn't even fully charged. Maybe there should be a limit based on your skill?

- When I loaded a different save to another character, my cast key was disabled. I assume this won't be a problem though once you finalize your mod and make it so the quest doesn't have to be activated through the console.

- I would prefer if the beneficial spells were on self/on target. On target accomplishes the same thing as on touch anyway, except for the magicka cost (which is negligible in my opinion) and the underwater issue, which you already handled.

- Dispel might be too powerful. I was able to cast a 116 dispel self with a character that had 85ish int/will, 170 mana, but only 15 mysticism, and it wasn't even fully charged. Maybe there should be a limit based on your skill?

- When I loaded a different save to another character, my cast key was disabled. I assume this won't be a problem though once you finalize your mod and make it so the quest doesn't have to be activated through the console.

Hey thanks for your comments.

1 - Yeah, it's a good idea making benefical spells to be cast on target, and the cost seems to be negligible for me too, with one exception: Dispel! :D It could be a powerful move to play against mages. But I have a plan :D

2 - I can't stop the charge process once certain magnitude has been reached, because that's calc'd once the charge stops, and adding a limit to the effect could make people spend more magicka than what's needed, so instead I'm gonna make all dispel spells cost like if were cast on target, even those played on self. Kinda salomonic decision but it has it's reason: in the new release the spells base cost will be read from your game (won't be set by the script), so it will use either default values or those from magic overhaul mods, if any.

3 - There's nothing I know I can do about it. If the new save you load doesn't run my quest script then it can't enable the key. You can, however, select a non-chargeable spell, exit the inventory screen for a frame (game mode) and then load your game. Or either you can open the console, set the stage and simply don't use the chargeable spells, but I'd not suggest this last one.

3 - There's nothing I know I can do about it. If the new save you load doesn't run my quest script then it can't enable the key. You can, however, select a non-chargeable spell, exit the inventory screen for a frame (game mode) and then load your game. Or either you can open the console, set the stage and simply don't use the chargeable spells, but I'd not suggest this last one.

Yeah, that's what I mean. In your final version, I assume your quest script will always be running, and therefore it should enable the cast key whenever I load a new save. I didn't actually look at your scripts, but I assume you have a getgameloaded check that enables the cast key?