Chargable Spells

grmblf

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah I forgot to mention it requires OBSE, but the code you're writing is right. Seting it as 'Start Game Enabled' neither 'startQuest grmCSQ' won't work it just needs to reach stage 0. Make sure the mod is loaded and check typo, it should work. Oh just in case, wich I see isn't yours, the last character is a number (0 - zero).

Yeah, thats what I thought your math should be doing, but since there is no cap, god-like characters (and my stats was indeed reached naturally, for I used my character that I had raised over a long time for that point, and not the test character, what a difference that made). But I should point out that it doesn't use the exact same formula, otherwise...oh wait, thats only a cap they added into the game, so yeah, you do use the same formula, its just that without the cap I was able to one-shot the end boss... Of course that was tricky, but hey, one shoted boss = OP. But funny! :D

And while it would be fun to cast godly spells...I like to have a challenge at times, and thus godly spells are something I try to avoid unless I make it via Spell Making, and thus even with a 100/100/120 spell (damage, area, duration for the know-nothings) is "god" like in terms of a naturally gained spell...but thats only truely possible to get if you cheat your butt fof (if I remeber correctly to cast the spell requires something over 80k magicka lol). But if you did get that spell legally, then by all means use it. But a spell that with little to no effort to get that can one-shot bosses....that tends to be way OP. So a cap would be a good idea.

And no, I never did make that 100/100/120 spell, I didn't have the magicka (obviously) to cast it. Plus it was damn expensive to make.

And again, a cap would be a good idea, regardless if you use stunted magic or not. That way, even with powerful magic at your command you would still have to actually work to down things.

As for the future perk of not being able to sneak and charge...that would be a cool idea. Same with the noise and light effects! In fact, instead of just one or the other, do both if possible. So beyond the issue of the OPness and the menu/popupboxes problems, I can't seam to find anything else to report. Other than my mouse sucks... XD lol

Haha oh wow I just gave up on making a Reyvateil race, cause I can't do any song spells... Then I find this...>_>

Hmm... I'm not sure if its a good idea or maybe its already stated, but how about some spell eats up health or fatigue points instead of just mana... Casting charge spells stresses one's body in order to store up lots of mana then releasing it in one burst. That's just my theory... hehehe its not like real magic exists...<_< Oh since the spell is also consuming fatigue or health points, the consumption on the mana points can be lowered...>_>

Maybe a casting pose too. XD

All I need now is party friendly spells and the reyvateil race is complete! XD

sorry for the bad english...-_-

nah np my english is worst than yours :P

I'm currently re-working the scripts to put it all togheter better than it was (there was a script for each spell, now I think 10 or 15 will suffice), and also I'm already implementing a perks system that will deal with fatigue loss and movement limitations.

But by the moment I'll do it so non-skilled characters will loose stamina and perhaps minimal health in addition to spending magicka, otherwise it could end up charging an amount of power he shoudn't be able. Imagine a brute warrior with a lot of health and not much magicka, why should he be able to charge beyond his magical capabilities? This could lead to non-mage characters casting huge spells, at a huge cost, I know, but by now I'll leave this as is.

On the 'maths' department, I've been doing some tests and adjustments, I've fixed the exponential factor I tweaked from original formula so now spending 500 magicka or such big number in a spell doesn't make it increases it's magnitude incredibly, I've added a cap to stats of 250 for both the skill and it's governing attribute altogether (ie now you reach your max capabilities in Destruction when both it plus Willpower sums 250 or more), and I've add a cap to the time multiplier too, subject to the skill level, up to a max of 100, but the multiplier itself is still based on the time you've been charging.

About the charging pose, I see a big problem there as poses are static so you'd see you character moving without moving his legs and also it could delay the casting anim for single-tap castings. I guess I'd need a few anims for every position or movement (walking ahead, back, etc, running forward, back, left, etc, sneaking, etc). It's not within my goals by now.

Party friendly spells - what ?? Do you mean spells with a big Area of Effect, or spells that are casted to all members of your race, or friendly companions? Plz explain it a little more, if I like it enought perhaps I'm adding it.

These are the perks I'm adding for the new release:

Novice

- some stamina (fatigue) is lost when charging.

- can't run or walk nor stand in sneak mode while charging.

- can't charge under water.

- can't jump or attack, but stills can block.

- if runs out of magicka while charging, spell and magicka are lost.

Apprentice

- looses a bit of stamina while charging.

- can charge under water.

- can walk while charging or simply stand in sneaking mode.

Journeyman

- minimal fatigue loss due to charging.

- can run while charging.

- can walk in sneak mode while charging.

- if runs out of magicka while charging the spell is automatically casted.

Expert

- stops loosing fatigue while charging.

- can run in sneak mode while charging.

- can jump while charging.

Master

- never looses the charge, even if is being hit heavily.

- can attack while charging.

There will be a constant check to track if the player has been hit, so if he looses some portion of his total life he'll loose the charge. For the movement limitations there will be a transition of 1 second, so for example if a novice is running and starts to charge a spell automatically will start to walk and after a second he'll be stuck until he release the charge.

btw these are the ideas I have in mind but I'll appreciate any suggestions you make.

grmblf

Cool I can't wait for the final version of this! d(*w*d)

As for party friendly spells...Uh... I don't think it can be done in oblivion...XP I tried making a reyvateil spells...>_> Reyvateil spells has a really big area effects... But it keeps killing off my companions too...-_- There was one time in Kvatch, an imperial knight was fighting a mob of enemies, so yeah I had to sacrifice him to kill all the enemies at once...XP

In short party friendly spells, are spell that can tell between friend and foe...-_- Then again it may cause a problem if I wanted to go on a killing spree in the imperial city...XD

It can be done with scripted effects. Like a fireball would have to have a script attached to it instead of just fire damage. The script would then check if they're friendly or enemy and apply damage that way.

Or you could use an activator and if something hits the activator that isn't friendly it gets hit by a fireball.

But that's a tad unrelated to this mod.

Chargeable Spells - Beta version 0.24 is now available to the public!

Click HERE to download it.

I've updated the first post in this thread, it's easier to read there than in the download page.

This new version has been re-written a lot and a lot of it has been re-written (a lot), it fixes some maths, it adds a cap for high level characters not being god-like mages, and adds the entire perks system with even more features than what was originaly intended, including as well some stamina loss while charging and the possibility to loose the spell if you're injuried while charging, all of this of course based on your stats and doing proportional calcs.

There's a lot of stuff to be done yet, but this one has been a big step in this mod's existence, I hope you enjoy it.

grmblf