After playing Fallout 3

Harabec Weathers

Gee, yeah, I prefer a game that's slightly harder than "click here to kill monsters." I guess that's personal preference when you get right down to it. :P

Even Rogues could be overwhelmed if you ran about willy-nilly like you do in D2. Diablo's technical flaws (read: the tile system) actually worked against the rogue (and the mage), often making monsters impossible to hit.

Stunlock works both ways. Mini and Micro-mages aren't as simple as you seem to think. And since you can't figure out the whole stealth thing, I'll spell it out for you: negative light radius. The stealth then cuts both ways. Exploring church in the dark is probably the most memorable Diablo experience I've ever had, hell one of the most memorable gaming experiences period.

And what do you mean you've never heard of The Beyond Naked Way?! Two words man: cursed items. Of course, the mere existence of The Beyond Naked Way shows Diablo Classic is also pretty easy (although myself, I never had the guts to try Beyond Nakedism, I just stuck with plain old nudity). But, at least it's not as mindlessly simple as D2, which removed all of the challenge, flexibility, and atmosphere.

Seriously D2 is so damned easy, I recall once wondering, "Hey, why am I moving so slow?" when playing my Barb on day. Then I realized, oh, there are some monsters I just didn't see. Actually, there were a bunch of them. And I was in no danger of dying. I'm pretty sure that's when I realized how boring the game really was.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was way too easy to level up. I didn't like the fact you got XP for just completing a quest. I think oblivion was better because you had to earn your XP to level up by practicing your major skills. Plus Oblivion was impossible on the hardest difficulty, imo :P

I thought it was way too easy to level up. I didn't like the fact you got XP for just completing a quest. I think oblivion was better because you had to earn your XP to level up by practicing your major skills. Plus Oblivion was impossible on the hardest difficulty, imo :P

Oh geeze at max difficulty it was ridiculous. You did 1/6th of youre normal damage and youre eneies did 6 times normal to you. Lol get stomped by a Clanfear lol.

YOu would be constantly chugging potions just to stay alive lol

Played fallout 3, and have never played any of the other Fallout games so I'm not too familiar with the series. However, I do wish to complain that the ending in the vanilla game itself is messed-up (I'm sure we all know and believe that) and that it took "buying" a new ending for the game when it really ought to have been fixed to begin with, whether they released an update or just altered the ending before release.

I thought the rest of the game was good enough though. Loved the post-apocalyptic locales and Oasis (for some reason) and downtown DC a lot. Sometimes it was also fun to get lost in the subway tunnels and stumbling across a few mirelukes or raiders or something else that could be killed... (I know, I'm evil like that...)

What I hated above all else about Fallout 3 was their crappy power armor. It just gave you slightly more protection and slowed you down. It couldn't completely repel weaker attacks like in Fallout 1/2, it didn't remotely affect your ability to sneak, and they just looked so ugly.

Overall, I like the Elder Scrolls / Fallout type of gameplay, but little nit picky kinds of things drive me crazy, like:

- Accidentally stealing something when you meant to pick up something else, and then the entire community hates you forever.

- Getting physically stuck between walls, rocks, etc.. Hope you're not playing on a console.

- I'm strong enough to bench-press a house yet I can't bash through one flimsy wooden door.

Stuff like this makes me go Postal in the game, slaughter everything, majestically browse through the carnage, and then reload and earlier save so the good little NPCs are none the wiser.

• 2 weeks later...

you know... i think companies like bethesda these days are just...

let me explain..

lets say the uhh.. fallout series theme is a ketchup bottle.

and the game, fallout 3, is a plate of fries.

they just but a little drop, or if you prefer, a milli- second squirt, aka, just a tad bit of fallout on the fries.

Now you have nothing to dip the game in, as in classic gameplay and content.

ok. the fallout 3 fries are almost ready? whats missing? salt.

oblivion is the salt.

THEY POURED A BUTTLOAD OF SALT!!

FOR GOODNESS SAKES THEY WERE TOO LAZY TO MAKE A NEW ENGINE!!!

and whats that? they cut away some of the fries too, to feed as snacks later, to keep you eating the fries.

and i guess our modding community is the buffet. pick your own stuff lol.

without the buffet, you would just leave the resteraunt, and goto another one.

you see, the repetitive nature of video games these days are like what i just explained.

i guess thats all i have to say.

oh yea, i think the golden age of gaming is 1995- 2004

i dunno why.

• 2 weeks later...

After i finished it, i got mad cause i couldnt play anymore because i hadnt the broken steel thing...

The whole game was also a kinda...cold or something. I didnt like the menu and also the monster design (except the big mutant, that is awesome)..

There is nothing about it that makes me say "Hey, i should play it again" like oblivion...

you know... i think companies like bethesda these days are just...

let me explain..

lets say the uhh.. fallout series theme is a ketchup bottle.

and the game, fallout 3, is a plate of fries.

they just but a little drop, or if you prefer, a milli- second squirt, aka, just a tad bit of fallout on the fries.

Now you have nothing to dip the game in, as in classic gameplay and content.

ok. the fallout 3 fries are almost ready? whats missing? salt.

oblivion is the salt.

THEY POURED A BUTTLOAD OF SALT!!

FOR GOODNESS SAKES THEY WERE TOO LAZY TO MAKE A NEW ENGINE!!!

and whats that? they cut away some of the fries too, to feed as snacks later, to keep you eating the fries.

and i guess our modding community is the buffet. pick your own stuff lol.

without the buffet, you would just leave the resteraunt, and goto another one.

you see, the repetitive nature of video games these days are like what i just explained.

i guess thats all i have to say.

oh yea, i think the golden age of gaming is 1995- 2004

i dunno why.

Man I couldnt agree more. I havent played fallout for months now.