Why did the Currency change in Fallout 3?

SpartanChronic202

Because its a cliche idea for money in a post apocalyptic world.

Really there should be no hard currency of any type, since there is no federal reserve to give money a value.

A dollar is just paper after all. But what makes it "money" is that its backed in gold and silver.

So why bottle caps should be anything more than a piece of metal? I really cant say dude. One would think bartering goods and only goods would make the most sense. Can eat a bottle cap, can drink a bottle cap, cant survive in the wild with a bottle cap, cant hunt for food with a bottle cap, so why the hell is everyone in Fallout 3 giddy for bottle caps?

My best opinion, Bethesda couldnt think of anything better lol.

bethesda didn't pay attention, thats all.

Caps where the currency in Fallout 1

in Fallout 2 they make a joke about it (you find like 10.000 caps in the well in broken hill (20k if you kill the midget)) and the description for the caps: "I heard stories that this used to be currency back in the old days prolly just a rumor"

for some reason in Fallout Tactics caps are currency again (only for villagers etc. though, the brotherhood only except $)

I forgot if there even was a currency in the Fallout 3 technical demo (the never released 3rd part of fallout, though apperantly was nearly completed (around 90% or so if you believe what the staff/developers etc. said, yet the demo missed a lot of features))

beths F3 doesn't really fit in anywhere in the timeline of the original game, they mix a lot of events from F1 and F2 into it, it all gets quite confusing. sometimes it feels like you play a 3D remake of the first games (yet all previous games had working vehicles).

and i also haven't figured out why in F3 $bills are worth more than there printed value.

Can't really say why it changed and especially can't say why it changed to bottlecaps of all things (aside from the aforementioned Nuka-cola conspiracy), but the need for some form of currency (regardless of whether it's backed by anything or not) is quite obvious with even a little bit of thought.

Personally I think even in a post-apocalyptic US, people would still use good ol' greenbacks.

Well... this is beginning to get interesting. If we're going to discuss "what ifs" in a post-apocalyptic America and the topic on the table is currency, I don't see why people wouldn't use something that already has some intrinsic value. Gold coins ~ Krugerrands, Canadian Maple Leafs, Mexican $50 pieces come to mind. (50 pesos, the symbol is the same as for a U.S. dollar but only one bar through it)

In general, any civilization or society requires some medium of exchange beyond simple barter which becomes impractical in any society larger than a small village. There are anthropologists who have argued that one of mankind's greatest inventions was money. While money or currency doesn't necessarily require it having intrinsic value one could argue that the "currency" would enjoy a more universal acceptance if it has some useful, non-monetary function or value. (OK, that sort of leaves NukaCola caps out but...)

In a post-apocalyptic scenario the paper currency of a now defunct government hold little appeal. I mean, face it, U.S. Dollars are backed by the "good faith & credit" of the United States of America and it strikes me as asking a little much of the remaining population to entrust much, if any faith or give any credit to or in a government which no longer exists.

So, we need some medium of exchange. It should be readily available, moderately abundant yet remain somewhat rare. Oh and it needs some degree of durability so Snickers bars wouldn't make good money. Probably ought to be some sort of metal objects. Actually I think bullets or other ammunition would fill the bill here. They're durable, easily portable, definitely useful & somewhat rare. Personally I think they'd make a better currency than old bottle caps.