Why did the Currency change in Fallout 3?

SpartanChronic202

It's true... as I said, they have to use something as a medium of exchange and caps work as well as anything else.

Admittedly, they don't have much intrinsic value but they are a pre-war manufactured item and can no longer be produced* which implies some degree of rarity & the populace has accepted them as the equivalent of currency... besides, every time someone breaks open an old pre-war NukaCola vending machine they have a chance to get more caps ~ like buying scratch off lotto tickets.

*Actually NukaCola caps are still being produced in the secret, underground NukaCola bottling facility buried under some ruins in Langley, Virginia that's presided over by the now 330 year old former Vice President & current NukaCola CEO "Rick" Cheney, whose brain was implanted into a custom built RoboProtectron shortly after his electro-mechanical heart failed 9 years before the Chinese invaded Alaska.

Call me crazy but Id rather have 1000 bullets for my gun then a 1000 caps for my wallet

I don't think think the wallet would be to thrilled being stuffed with a 1000 caps either :blink: but with those you could buy the bullets (depending on cost & availability)

Now if bullets were used as currency that would be interesting....

It makes sense as a currency as, similar to caps they can't be easily reproduced (umm....well, that ammo press is something special, wouldn't you agree?). Bullets are a valuable commodity in a place like post apocolyptia. Using them as currency would possible limit wasteland violence to.....well okay people would just use melee weapons and rich guys like Tenpenny would just have too much fun sniping everyone anyways, so that's out. Then you can also just imagine your tough, evil karma character "paying" a merchant a few "caps" before taking all their stuff, if you get my drift

As was posted by Nagaoka earlier, (the link) talks about how bottle caps are abundant throughout the wasteland, and they can be "flattened" for easier (and greater) carrying capacity.

My idea is that (also stated earlier) since the current U.S. Dollar is based off of gold, Fort Knox could have been blown to smithereens. Plus, in the Vaults, there were ration coupons, and no actual money was used. Over the course of 200 or so years, the practice of using paper money was forgotten, and good ol' green-backs would be more likely to be used to light a cigarette or something.

Besides, not many paper bills would survive a nuclear Holocaust, am I right?

Hence the birth of the bottle cap as currency. It would be like us using pull-tabs (little metal peices on soda cans) as currency, if that helps put it in perspective.

Those are my thoughts. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

gman021

Gold doesn't back our money anymore, just so you know, and hasn't in a great many years. Lots of folks still think it does, of course.

True. My mistake. It is based off of Treasury Bonds - perhaps the U.S Treasury got blown up in the war. :unsure: Regardless, that was just my idea about why bottlecaps are used instead of dollar bills.

Gold doesn't back our money anymore, just so you know, and hasn't in a great many years. Lots of folks still think it does, of course.

True. My mistake. It is based off of Treasury Bonds - perhaps the U.S Treasury got blown up in the war. :unsure: Regardless, that was just my idea about why bottlecaps are used instead of dollar bills.

Lol wow I didnt know that one, man I gotta pay attention to current events more lol. I though all our money was still backed in gold and silver. Well look at that, learn something new everyday haha.

I still dont understand why even bother at all with trying to maintain any currency what so ever. It has no monetary backing to give it any value. Anyone see the movie Mad Max: Beyond the Thunderdome? Look at Bartertown lol. Barter being the few word, and bartering is the exchange of goods. To me a bottle cap in useless in all walks of life haha.

Beth would have been better off just saying to hell with currency, FO3 is gonna be pure barter.

Ex: "Hey ill give you 3 stimpacks for 90 10mm bullets" "Deal!"

Being that a currency-based trade system is superior in every respect to a pure barter system, it's easy to see why some form of currency would still be in use even 200 years post-nuke.