Lets allow genetic engineering for humans

stars2heaven

Even it's for healing, we should wait for the right time.

Uh, waiting until the economy improves to pursue gene therapy/genetic engineering instead of continuing the existing research (if that's what you're saying) won't really make a difference... besides, as Vagrant said, you can't just set some geneticists on this and expect results yesterday.

And guys... genetic engineering is not some miracle medicine that you can administer to anyone and everyone. It has its ramifications, and those ramifications are more complicated than you think...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we done being melodramatic?

who's being melodramatic.I responded to his post.nothing more nor less.Have I no right to respond to posts with my thoughts or feelings without being accused of something ?Please tell me I'm curious.

Try not to take things personally.

I was merely commenting on how you phrased the question as if implying that it was some subjective determinant, rather than an objective one.

And when is the right time? Who decides when? You? I? When you or a family member need it? How about some young innocent child? Do we make that child wait for the "right" time? Do we allow the old who are dying relief? Or shall we wait for the "right" time........*waits*

Basically implying that

Especially if we have an economic crisis (wait . . . we do) right now. Even it's for healing, we should wait for the right time.

Was talking about someone specifically deciding when it should happen, rather than it being practical for the time and society in which we live. Adding in additional comments which seemed aimed specifically at sparking some sort of visceral emotional response, as opposed to answering the question. Hence, melodrama.

The theatrical genre of melodrama uses theme-music to manipulate the spectator's emotional response and to denote character types.

Ok, so the definition doesn't really match, my bad. No offense was meant, I was just trying to steer the discussion away from that sort of stuff which undoubtedly might cause conflicts.

That said, I don't think there's anyone here who would say that genetic engineering is a bad thing if it helped cure an illness that a close friend, lover, or family member has been afflicted with. Likewise, most of modern society has already benefited to some degree from a form of genetic engineering that was put in place in the early 20th century, but due to the controversial nature of that project, and the associations that it led to, it has been swept under the carpet and forgotten about by most*. It doesn't necessarily make it right or good, but that really didn't stop it from happening, or happening again when the promise of a healthier, happier future, free of disease (at the cost of a few thousand nameless test subjects) is presented.

This is why an emotional response should probably be consulted long after a logical one has been established. There will always be a cost of human life involved with something like this, and unless humanity can some day move beyond their own selfish ambitions, nothing like genetic engineering can be used responsibly.

Uh, waiting until the economy improves to pursue gene therapy/genetic engineering instead of continuing the existing research (if that's what you're saying) won't really make a difference... besides, as Vagrant said, you can't just set some geneticists on this and expect results yesterday.

And guys... genetic engineering is not some miracle medicine that you can administer to anyone and everyone. It has its ramifications, and those ramifications are more complicated than you think...

The economys fine the fact that is like this THE GOVERNMENT they did this to make an excuse for bribing the banks not to kill them JFK threatend themwe all know what that got him a bullet just in case they have billions of dollars the us government is evil but we need them... anyway you cant give it to everyone just people with cancer and aids hopfully it will eradicate those problems in a couple generations (sorry about the rant got carried away)

I agree if it's for serious healing, but now I'm thinking.

And when is the right time? Who decides when? You? I? When you or a family member need it? How about some young innocent child? Do we make that child wait for the "right" time? Do we allow the old who are dying relief? Or shall we wait for the "right" time........*waits*

I believe that most people will know when is the right time. We just can't take any serious risks. I knew there are many innocent people out there suffering. But we just can't help everyone, and there's quite many rich people who cared for themselves (sorry if this offend anyone) that probably won't help those who really needed, I don't know will they help people even with the genetic engineering tech. The tech surely must be expensive, and who could help everyone that really needs it.

But there's always things we can do. And even if we can, will genetic engineering helps ?

Genetic engineering probably is not the best solution of our problems. There are other things we could do. Many of the diseases now can be cured without genetic engineering. We don't even know how many diseases genetic engineering can cure, and other things can not.

Besides, that's not my original quote. What I said is :

I agree if it's for serious healing, but now I'm thinking.

But I don't think this will be cheap, and if it's not cheap . . .

"The rich will getting a far better life, and the poor will get a far poor life."

Especially if we have an economic crisis (wait . . . we do) right now. Even it's for healing, we should wait for the right time.

What I meant to say is we should wait until the economy heals, and we can use genetic engineering for a very serious disease.

Sorry if this offend anyone.

I believe that most people will now when is the right time

most people lack common sense, but to move on.

Yes.mankind needs it and I believe within the next 50 years it will be widely accepted. I opt for the space travel one myself.To get off this planet full of meatheads would be a blessing.

I opt for the space travel one myself.To get off this planet full of meatheads would be a blessing.
You probably can't. Sure, you could use genetic engineering to stop your aging, but it's not legal or invented yet (I think). Then you must wait until the US or other big countries FOUND a liveable planet, and decides to send a satelitte/machine to take a look at it (after human's spaceship can travel very fast). Then you must qualified to be the first humans to live there.

(Or if you're talking about Mars, maybe 40 to 70 years (Mars isn't open for public).)

Human nature will provoke scientific curiosity into pushing the genetic envelope whether we feel there should be limits or not. Remember Pandora's box? The question really isn't about what to do once we start experimenting with the human genome, because by then it's too late. I think we're all savvy enough to know that a simple alteration to our genetic makeup is all that's needed to alter nature's evolutionary path for humanity. For all we know, taking flu shots may inhibited a future biological evolution of a natural antibody that our bodies were predestined to create. So...we're betting that humanity is smart enough to outpace nature's ability to evolve germs, bacteria, etc. Now with that in mind, shouldn't genetic science engineered towards a more intelligent human be the goal?

Now with that in mind, shouldn't genetic science engineered towards a more intelligent human be the goal?
No, genetic engineering should be the last option for serious healing. If you want more intelligence, you could try hypnosis or something to improve our subconscious brain (it's 90 % of our brain). Do it and you'll be a genius.

Now with that in mind, shouldn't genetic science engineered towards a more intelligent human be the goal?
No, genetic engineering should be the last option for serious healing. If you want more intelligence, you could try hypnosis or something to improve our subconscious brain (it's 90 % of our brain). Do it and you'll be a genius.

You should know, the "we only use 10% of our brain" thing is a myth. We actually use 100% of our brains.

This page should inform you all about it: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

And using hypnosis to improve intelligence is impossible. Hypnosis' applications include pain management and weight loss, but improving intelligence via hypnosis is inconceivable.

. If you want more intelligence, you could try hypnosis or something to improve our subconscious brain (it's 90 % of our brain). Do it and you'll be a genius.

OMG...Please link me to where you found this information,because if its pure conjecture on your part, then this comment is pure"classic" all the way..Links please!