Alpha-Omega

Maharg67

Cool as a cucumber, as we Aussies would say!!! :banana: (Sorry, could not find a dancing cucumber)

FIFTEEN

President Vullumius sat at a great ring shaped table with a special area in the middle of the ring that could serve many purposes. Now it held a holographic project of 3Ddatasymbols floating in mid/air in such a way that all the Councillors could see it. He sitting as the President with the Secretary of Council Affairs, the Treasurer of High Finance and six normal Councillors. Matters were not going as smoothly for him as they normally did. Firstly Emma Tahoe had regained her old position as Director of Security and had returned that position to the President’s Council. Control of the Elite Security Agency had been snatched from the control of President Vullumius.

Beautifully elegant with a very much Cleopatra style nose, she smiled shark like at him. “The sudden mysterious disappearance of Elite Security Officer Angerson has caused a major disruption through out the Elite Security Office. We now have evidence that outsiders managed to infiltrate the inner silo/bunkerplex though not into the higher security areas; we do not know how they did it. There have been unexplained untraceable power drainages from the main power grid causing minor but continuous disruption to important but not vital bunkerplex functions. Super virtual reality sports tournaments had to be postponed for the Elite School. Android regenerative repair programs have had to be postponed. An elevator was stuck for three hours until the five people trapped inside could be rescued; which reminds me that various emergency protocols and procedures have to revaluated. Along with these mysterious power drainages, the ultra high frequency radio signals continue to broadcast to Mars.”

“Yes, the council now knows that you not only knew where the signals were going to and coming from but that you hid the fact from the council. Why else would they so quickly return the Director of Security position to existence, a position you removed only so you could act with less council supervision? Why else would they elect me to the returned position?”

She knew that she had scored some big points against him but Emma Tahoe was no foolish enough to think that he was totally defeated.

President Vullumius nodded even as he gave a profoundly sad smile. “I am forced to admit now that I have been carrying out both a large secret investigation on possible deep treachery in the Elite Families and a series of secret projects to help the Elite Families survive.”

A murmur of shock, anger and curiosity went through the rest of the President’s Council.

Emma Tahoe spoke then. “I suppose you would point to myself as being a traitor.”

He grinned. “I would love to be able to do so but no it is a group of our own young adults who call themselves the Radical Thirteen who are the culprits. Except they work cleverly in three cells of three and one individual. No cell knows the identity of anybody in any other cell and none know the identity of the Thirteen, the leader, except her or himself. The Radical Thirteen wish to open up Megaton to a limited democracy of a Parliament with four levels. At the top would be the Presidium with Elites making up the President and three Tri/Secretaries along with nine other members. Of these three would be representatives of the lower three levels of Parliament. All would get to vote on decisions but only the Elites will be able to hold the four official positions. Next down would be the Special Families Council. Then there would be the Service Families Council. Last of all would be the Outer Megaton Council. It is, I must admit, quite a clever plan. It keeps power firmly in the hands of the Elite Families while giving out more freedom to the rest of Megaton’s population, including the regrettably necessary rubbish of the Outer Megatonfolk.”

Emma Tahoe snorted. “Give me the names of the traitors and I will have security pick them up?”

Vullumius shook his head. “If I do that then how will we learn about the true threat, that is the identity of Radical/13? What we do have is a double agent and the identity of his two cell comrades. We do not know the identities of the other nine Radicals. Of course the name itself could be a ruse. There may be more than three cells and nine radical followers of Radical/13. We need to be patient and continue investigations. As President I move that this be the position that we take for now.”

The irony was that, as far as Vullumius knew, there was no ‘Radical Thirteen’ because he had made them up to distract and otherwise help manipulate his various Elite enemies.

The Director of Security spoke then, knowing as yet she could win no vote and not wishing to prove this. “I agree with the President. Now, what of these secret projects that you have been carrying out with out the knowledge or permission of this council?”

Vullumius smiled. “A project to enhance the genetic strength of the Elites, to enhance our gene pool and expand our numbers. Why, because we are become sterile and sick with too much inbreeding. Elite Family sons and daughters must marry outside of the Elite Families and even outside of the Special Families if we are to survive and we need to strengthen the sperm and ovum of those of us who are fertile.”

Some became visibly angry but there was less resistance than he had expected. With so many of the Elite Children suffering from inherited handicaps and illnesses, the Elites were being forced to face the truth.”

Vullumius sighed. “We must sterialise those amongst us who carry dangerous genes. No, we will do know harm to any of our people but we will place them into special care where they can contribute as much as they can to the good of the Elites and of Megaton. Families of course will have constant access to them.”

The Elite Families tended to lock away their more physically and mentally handicapped and mentally unstable into reasonable care. The irony was that it was Vullumius himself who mainly visited the UnElites, as they were unofficially called, and made sure they were safe, secure and reasonably happy. He protected them from the depraved appetites of some of the Elitefolk. A few in the Elites would have liked to see the UnElites quietly killed off, mercifully of course; this would be supposedly to save vital resources but in truth would because of hurt pride and fear.

Then Vullumius went on. “We need to bring in worthy candidates for breeding with the Elites who would live at the edge of our society and who would have a special status but who would not be of the Elitefolk. Breeding will be through traditional sexual activity.”

He went on. “We need also to investigate the ideas of cloning and other biotechnologies to be found in this amazing bunkerplex of ours.”

The talking went on and became the first round of negotiations but Vullumius was confident that he was still very much in control of what was going on in the Elites and in Megaton.

TO BE CONTINUED

Edited by Maharg67

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmmmm yes, Herculine!

Happy New Year. :yes: ;D :bunny: :banana: :thanks: :thumbsup:

PS had a look at Herculines Ainmhi Companions for CM Partners and I am impressed enough to try it when I put Oblivion back on my computer, which will be soon.

mmmmm yes, Herculine!

Happy New Year. :yes: ;D :bunny: :banana: :thanks: :thumbsup:

PS had a look at Herculines Ainmhi Companions for CM Partners and I am impressed enough to try it when I put Oblivion back on my computer, which will be soon.

Thanks... It's just a little something I whipped up... :blush:

Oh such wondrous modesty, you should blush, really you should.

In truth I like the looks of your stuff. I will soon be adding more chapters to this story but I am kind of reviewing the story and making sure I tie up loose ends and have it flowing consistent and smooth to a fine climax causing a wondrous explosion after a delerious build up. Yep, I think that explains it well enough and I hope I don't fall short while achieving only an anticlimax.

Let me think, did I explain that properly?

New chapters coming soon!!!

Edited by Maharg67

Sexy... perhaps… but also quite criminally insane!

INTERLUDE

President Vullumius is up to some terrible scheming in Inner Megaton that is linked with at least one wonder machine to be found there. Or is there more to it than that?

Jack’O’Man of the Regulators has come to Megaton only to meet a Clanhunter representative in the Brass Lantern. Plans and alliances are being plotted as Clans and the Union of Columbia become involved.

Buffy/Jo Harrington is living in Megaton but she is doing more than just being a dutiful member of the community. What was inside the book that Lucy West lent her?

Bobby is in the Martian tribal settlement of trying to meet with Adam Earthwise. He is with Jane Earthwise, the grand/daughter of Adam.

Star Marshal Hawk/Eye Samuels and FEAR are investigating the reappearance of Bobby of JSET (Jupiter Space Expeditionary Taskforce) and other matters.

Other forces, greater and smaller, are at play.

SIXTEEN

The super/mutants moved in large loose formations across the wild Martian landscape. As they came they came in three general sizes being the bulky human sized super/mutant troopers, the twice bigger super/mutant crushers and the three times bigger super/mutant behemoths. The semiarid Yellow Zones were where full Terraforming had not quite fully succeeded. All wore metallic plated body-armour and were armed with either an autogun, a pulseblaster, a rocket/launcher or a big flamer that varied in size according to the size of the user. With them came robotic vehicles, massive robotanks on tracks and armoured robotrucks on the same but also armoured robosleepers that allowed some super/mutants to sleep, rest and eat while the whole army kept on the move.

John Carter, Commander of the small human majority army sent to push back the super/mutants, wore power armour like many of his soldiers. There were red marmans, human like but like marsupials they lay eggs, and tall green tribelors, Green Martians that each was huge with four great arms. Yet there were also exotic tripocs each with three tentacular arms and three tentacular legs and three eyes all around; their ancestors had been controlled by stupid, brutal warlords who had died invading Earth but these were more peaceful. Except now many were there in power armour shaped for their use and they had eighteen big mechatripods bristling with weapons.

Damned Confederats had provided the super/mutants with weapons, other equipment and supplies. The Federats had provided stuff to John Carter and his army. Neither side could take direct action in the fighting thanks to the Cease Fire Agreement but John Carter did not trust the Confederats to keep their word. He was far from the only ones.

The centuries old John Carter had the army visibly dig in along a wide long ridge overlooking the pass along which the super/mutant army was coming. Autohowitzers, pulselaser cannons, autocannons, missile/launchers, multirocket/launchers, miniguns, recoilless heavy machineguns and more were dug in. But the digging in was not the whole story as it seemed to be. He had hidden reserves positioned to deal with an expected attack from the rear. Scouts, patrols, robotic drones and other means were being used to keep a check on the whole region.

Where had the super/mutants come from? Incredible as it seemed, the answer was most probable that they came from Terra itself, the Lost Earth. But how had they gotten to Mars and what connection with them had the hated newly renamed Solsystem Confederation? It had been called the Peoples Confederation but the new name sounded so much grander to compete with that of the new Solsystem Federation.

John Carter stood in a slit fronted bunker looking out over the pass. Aides were working a holographic projection map/table. 3Dwallscreens and smaller 3Dflatscreens showed data to various console operators. Communications operators worked against one wall in the very large chamber.

Another problem was showing up. Monstrous deformed creatures, including X/humans, were mounting increasingly larger incursions towards the Green Zones of Mars. They also wanted to penetrate down to the Martian Underworld to conquer its ancient refugee cultures that had once dwelt on the surface of Mars. The great Martian Canals once more flowed with clean water, thanks to the Terraforming, but even the increased greenery and other life along those Grand Canals had not pleased enough the Yellow Zoners. Or so it seemed. As far as John Carter was concerned there was another reason for the movement of the Yellow Zoners and that was they were being pushed by an even greater threat coming out of the terrible Amber Zones. But what was making them move? Was something coming out of the Red Zones?”

He then made a decision, a very important one, but it needed to be backed up by the Solsystem Federation, now greatly enlarged and more powerful, to truly work. He turned to his personal communications console and picked up a red handset, his special link to the Solsystem Federation High Command.

But even as he did a voice spoke to him of important matters and it was not the Solsystem Federation. It was the Voice of the Omniplexi and he listened very intently as it told him both what he needed to do and what assistance he could expect from the SolFed, the Omniplexi and others. The voice praised him on being essentially correct about his fears of the Solsystem Federation but gently warned him that the situation between Yellow Zoners and Amber Zoners might not be so straight forward.

John Carter was always a little overwhelmed by the Omniplexi Voice but not really surprised because this was not the first time the Omniplexi had communicated with him.

TO BE CONTINUED

John Carter of Mars?