Guest deleted2159825

Well since everyone is saying what they want to see I will say what I dont want to see.

Dont do a legion mod please. You are great at writing for other factions and characters and I cant wait for B3 but no...not the legion.

Well, since Bethesda Softworks is the worst publisher on the planet (save for EA), they decided to rush New Vegas out the door so it wouldn't compete with Skyrim's sales. In turn, Obsidian underdeveloped the Legion and made them unsympathetic overall. I doubt anyone could make a well made, lore friendly Legion quest mod. In my opinion, the only redeeming quality of the Legion are its lead characters: Caesar, Lanius, Graham, Ulysses, and Vulpes (all of them with incredible dialouge).

It is such a shame they are so under developed.

They could have saved the legion by even some simple changes such as making slavery a necessary evil for there society to keep afloat that members of the Legion regret having to partake in as opposed to them all seeming to enjoy cruelty or they could have make the members of the legion act respectable towards you as opposed to insulting and threatening you constantly or added a settlement to show how safe and crime free their rule is.

Still in their current state they are pretty unworkable for most people and only really fit as quite unique villains.

Edited by flamenx01

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some interesting ideas there, but I can rule them all out.

- I think MSZ Crew is an incredible mod (some users referenced it as an example in that thread), but I've never warmed to the idea of a new faction constructing a utopia. If anything, I'd be inclined to fight them. Black-clad Europeans arriving in spaceships would just trigger my inner redneck to pick up a shotgun and repeatedly mutter, "From my cold, dead fingers".

- Sierra Madre: When I first played Dead Money back in 2011, I got so pissed off that I nearly started work on a ridiculous mod called Return to the Sierra Madre, wherein the player would return and exterminate the ghost people, every last motherf*#@ing one of them. Additionally, he/she could trigger some sort of absurd nuclear device that would annihilate the entire goddamn complex. It was going to be a dumb, completely insane 80's action flick, along the lines of Blood Dragon. Over time I've come to appreciate the writing in Dead Money, but the only way I'd set a mod there is to destroy it.

- Mercenary Companies: Martin's Marines was going to fill that role, but I don't feel like touching it until FO4. It would be limited in scope, more akin The A-Team than anything. Martin sure as s*** wouldn't have any illusions about subjugating the Mojave.

I love the vanilla factions, as well as the tension and balance between them. Adding in new factions that disrupt the original designers' vision just isn't my style (yes, I add new mini-factions, but their presence is usually ephemeral and/or behind the scenes). That's not a knock against MZC, it's just a recognition of stylistic differences. I understand that plenty of players are looking for that experience, but I'd be a poor choice to make it. If I added a faction like TSC, I would probably design it to implode into a civil war and everyone would die. And you would kill them. With a shotgun.

With all that said, the one exception would be if I revived the Desert Rangers in an update for Russell, but even that has problems. As far as I can see it, Russell might actually be the only remaining Desert Ranger who isn't dead or went over to the NCR. I can't envision more than 2-3 old holdouts and possibly some new recruits. Even then, it would only be available to players who align with Mr. House or Yes Man. Furthermore, the Desert Rangers would conduct operations in and around the Mojave, though they wouldn't have any real control. There just wouldn't be enough of them.

By the way, blaze, this a dig at you or your request, which is perfectly reasonable. I get PM's asking me to make new factions and/or work on The Enclave or BoS, both of whom I dislike (to me they're anachronisms). I just feel like addressing some of these ideas so that people know where I stand.

Sorry, but I need to go caps lock for a minute......*Ahem*

PLEASE, PLEASE DO A DEAD MONEY MOD LIKE THAT!!!!!

*Ahem*

I HATED Dead Money, that DLC alone pissed me off more than just about any game I've ever played in my life. I came so close to taking the keyboard and breaking the f*#@ing thing over my knee more times than I care to count.

I would LOVE, LOVE I SAY, to go there and KILL EVERY Ghost there....with a spoon, just because it would hurt more. And then walk away like Chuck Norris, pulling a nuke detonator out of my pocket and say "And this is for me" and push the button.

It would be GLORIOUS.

Well since everyone is saying what they want to see I will say what I dont want to see.

Dont do a legion mod please. You are great at writing for other factions and characters and I cant wait for B3 but no...not the legion.

Well, since Bethesda Softworks is the worst publisher on the planet (save for EA), they decided to rush New Vegas out the door so it wouldn't compete with Skyrim's sales. In turn, Obsidian underdeveloped the Legion and made them unsympathetic overall. I doubt anyone could make a well made, lore friendly Legion quest mod. In my opinion, the only redeeming quality of the Legion are its lead characters: Caesar, Lanius, Graham, Ulysses, and Vulpes (all of them with incredible dialouge).

I don't know... Reading some of Van Buren docments, the Legion were just as much of dicks as they are in NV. The only difference being that the sexism in Van Buren was a little bit more toned down.

I don't know... Reading some of Van Buren docments, the Legion were just as much of dicks as they are in NV. The only difference being that the sexism in Van Buren was a little bit more toned down.

I'm fine with them being dicks in general, but I'm not fine with them being undeveloped dicks. They are like the pre-cum of the Fallout universe.

Guest deleted2159825

I apologise if this has been asked and answered already, but I was just thinking back over the notes and stuff towards the end of NVB II and I couldn't help but wonder, will Penny be making an appearance in the final installment?

Penny? Do you mean Polly? If so, then... maybe :devil:

I apologise if this has been asked and answered already, but I was just thinking back over the notes and stuff towards the end of NVB II and I couldn't help but wonder, will Penny be making an appearance in the final installment?

Polly, you mean?

I think its fitting for them to be using unorthodox items in their armor patchwork, the sexism fits, and plays a part in the Red Rock quests. I think its they are also supposed to seem very inferior to the NCR. That's the point, the NCR is so overstretched and undermanned that people using football and hockey pads as armor are beating them. Its addressed like this many times over in the game. Also boon makes a funny remark about sending a**hole in sports equipment to him.

That being said I do think that there armor seems a little, underwhelming. I think that the recruits should be wearing things similar to what they are, but you have normal legionaries wearing recruit armor. Its less recruit armor than it is standard armor. I think the New legion rearmament just look like they are too...... well made for the legion. I use combat armored legion, I still think that doesn't fit well either. I think it should be like this.....

-Recruits: same or similar outfits

-Standard: these should have low level armors mixed in with there suits, having vault security/NCRCF vests, stolen NCR plates (vanilla ones), back-plates from those small metal office chairs, large metal vent covers, etc... Anything that looks more defensive than sports pads, but not as muck as actual armor.

-Veteran: This should be made up of salvaged combat armor plates, maybe have combat helmets, wasteland chainmail and any assets from the standard armor needed to get complete protectiveness.

-Pretorian: These use armors that are patched together from their fallen foes. As such I like the original, but there should me more renditions of this armor, it should seem like every Pretorian you come across is different than the others. there are many ways to do this, having 3 or four renditions of the Pretorian armor, and having color changed variations of each

-Explorer: should use a mix of things from the recruit and standard armor, it just needs to look more light and survivalist friendly.

-Others, Now if I remember correctly Caesar and his guards look the most roman out of everyone. I think that fits as-is.

When I wrote that I did not want to see a legion mod I meant as in Someguy should not do one since he is not passionate about them. The legion are underdeveloped but there is still enough information there and from outside sources (New Vegas Collectors Guide and J.E sawyer) that plenty of mods can be made surrounding them.

What I notice when it comes to the Legion is people either hate them or they do seem to be capable of accepting them as the game presents them to us. People who mod for the legion often go off and change the lore surrounding them. This is understandable of course since there are not many sources of information on the legion ingame but as I said before there is enough to make mods out off without breaking the lore.