Steam problem

Nintii

Ok so I've bought the Skyrim Legendary edition today (I already have Skyrim), so that I

can play the DLC's.

After inserting the disk a pop up screen appears asking me if I want to reinstall or uninstall

so I choose "reinstall".

Then it begins to "validate steam files" ... when it completes this task, it gives me an error

message, "1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired".

After this it leaves me only one option and that is to "close".

Any ideas on what I should do to get the game installed ?

Any help will be highly appreciated, thanks.

@Georgiegril ... What really irks me is that yesterday I managed to track down the last remaining hard copy

in our country after searching every possible avenue. I then got my best friend and travelled a couple of 100 K's

with her to another province to buy the damn thing and then had to drive home.

And then the miasma hit the fan when it wouldn't work.

So yes, it's a bug of the most annoying kind.

Btw, I did as you suggested ... still no luck.

@ Lord Garon ... please I beg you kind Sir pray tell how do I do that ?

Edit ... Right, so I started Steam went to the game, right clicked and went to "view downloadable content"

then went to "DLC" and it was empty.

Would that have been the route you were going to suggest ?

Edited by Nintii

It sounds to me that by clicking "Re-install" Steam is only downloading what you already owned, and not installing the DLCs with it. Because you can't re-install something that isn't installed in the first place. And because Steam is a massive douche. Try uninstalling the base game, then re-installing with the Legendary disc.

After that, before you run the game through the SKSE launcher you have to first run it through the Steam launcher, so it can create the configuration files that govern the game's settings. You only have to do this once though, generally speaking. After that you can run it from SKSE like normal.

Edited by Hyacathusarullistad

.........................................................................PROBLEM SOLVED..................................................................

First of all thank you to everyone for all your advice, I appreciate your time and effort.

1) WHERE I WENT WRONG ...

I loaded the disk and it began it's setup launcher, and after I followed all the prompts and choices I ended up with

Steam error "1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired".

I uninstalled and reinstalled Skyrim a dozen times but still no success.

2) WHAT YOU SHOULD NOT DO ...

Do not uninstall Skyrim.

Do not uninstall NMM.

Do not uninstall your mods that you've lovingly built up over time.

3) WHAT YOU SHOULD DO ... STEPS TO A SUCCESSFUL INSTALLATION.

a) Start up these two things ... Steam, NMM and then insert the disk.

b) Then the autorun of the disk will begin ... CANCEL IT.

c) Open Steam and go to "Games" you will find it right above STORE, LIBRARY, COMMUNITY ETC.

d) Click on "Games" and choose "activate a product on Steam".

e) Follow through >> "Product Activation", "Steam Subscriber Agreement", and finally "Product Key".

f) It will then begin downloading the main game including the DLC's (if like me you want to install the

Legendary Edition).

g) Once the wait is over go to NMM and check under the "Plugins" tab you will find the DLC's unchecked

somewhere on the list ... check/tick them.

h) If you're using SKSE click the launcher and start the game ... ALL the DLC's will now be up and running.

Lastly a big shout out of thanks to Lord Garon for his advice ... all it took was a few seconds of my time and

google to show me where to go and what to do in order to get the ball rolling.