Mods for low-end PCs

xxsuperasianxx

My PC is very weak

Specs

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Processor 2.80 GHz

Ram: 4.00 GB (3.75 usable)

Graphics card: Radeon 3200

I am trying to boost performance by removing demanding mods. Will these mods work for my PC?

Requiem

Frostfall

Realistic Needs and Diseases

Is there a general guideline for figuring out which mods do not hinder performance or significantly impact fps? I have been told to avoid mods that add new actors, high-res textures, but does that mean armor mods, city expansion mods and custom follower mods are out of the question like Vilja or mods that let you have multiple followers like UFO?

Thank you for any help on this matter.

-Check on the nexus for lower resolution textures.

-Get grass on steriods, and follow the description for that mod to tweak the skyrim.ini for best performance.

-Get Dynavision and Increase the dof to 1.1, then reduce the vanilla skyrim veiw distance settings for everything down to 75-85% from 100%. The dof blur will hide the fact that you cannot see grass/actors that far out.

REMOVE MODS THAT INCREASE SPAWNS, add massive amounts of npcs to cities, roads, more.

Here is a good EXAMPLE: Immersive Creatures increases spawns. Go into mcm menu and disable anything that increases spawns.

Another example: SkyTest adds little passive creatures all over the exterior MARKET. These little creatures mean nothing until OF COURSE,,

you install immersive creatures in conjunction with its added spawns... add in some ASIS,.. CIvil War... lets GET IN SOME ZOMBIES TOOO!!!

KAAAAABOOOOM>@!!!!! CTD. FPS DROP..

Using these mods increases the risk of CTD's in bed with females, spreading the CTD disease.. to san franscisco. Also reduces fps.

The other thing is scripts.

You have to start a new game to remove old scripts, sure there are other ways, but I don't support them.

Check out every one of your mods websites and look for people saying its "heavy" in scripts.

make your own descisions on this.. some mods are worth keeping even if heavily scripted and that opinion

is up to you./

I don't know what I talking about . DONT LISTEN TO ME.

Despite what you may heard, Vilja is a bit less cumbersome than a vanilla follower (a lot of scripts, but are not used at the same time and performance is always a priority). Other custom followers may be more combersome, but even then we are talking about a single extra NPC for the game in each case. What you should avoid is travelling with too much followers at the same time (if you want to travel with various of them, just try increassing the number until you get a performance loss or reach the number you want. Play a bit with each number before increassing it, as the performance loss may not be so noticeable in certain areas).

One of the best strategies I have found for my lower-end GPU is to use a texture optimizer for dds. It improves performance and barely affects quality.

You might look into SMCO or Texture Optimizer. (they are programs, not mods, even though you will find them with the mods.) Read all instructions carefully, of course.

colorful lights - it fixes shadows and lighting in interiors, zero loss of quality and a performance boost.

Hialgo boost - gives a boost, but it shows it's colours when your system requires more, for example, a big fight or a scene where a lot is going on, it halfs the games resolution and you can barely tell, except for the odd fuzzing now and again but that goes as quick as it arrives, a must have for low end computers.

use all the unofficial patches, make sure you clean your DLC's with tes5edit to minimize ctd's and in some places improve performance, use SKSE 1.7 (it gives me a slight boost over skse 1.6 but they implemented the SSME in 1.7, probably explains it)

as stated in the post above, use the texture optimizer, it streamlines the textures so your g-card doesn't have to train so much and there is a mod on the nexus called skyrim optimisation, or something like that, does wonders, too.

Look for "grass on steroids" mod too, it helps when adventuring to raise the fps by a few notches

Unpark your cpu's ,google it.

use a registry cleaner, i personally use wise registry cleaner, because it comes with an inbuilt optmizer. The registry cleaner will generally iron out any glitches out of game so they don't effect performance. also use a program like wise game booster or razor game booster.. They don't do anything you can't do yourself, but just in case you have missed something,fire it up and they will stop any unnecessary processes,to give you slight boost.

Generally avoid anything that uses Bloom,enb's tend to be guilty of this more than most, but bloom and low end pc's aren't the best mix, that and ultra quality shadows.

Also get the skyrim configurator, also on the nexus, fiddle bout with the settings, but the shadows on low and every box that says "threaded" tick.. this will mean that the game will make better use of multi processors and reduces lag/improve fs by quite a bit depending on your system.

with the above and afew other things (can't remember off of the top of my head) i took a 15 fps max skyrim to a 30 fps max with 22 fps in battles. I have an i5 processor with 6 gig ram but an intel hd chipset.. so i feel rather chuffed about the huge boost for my laptop :)