Having Problems Logging In?

Dark0ne

Most people are not having this problem. We need info to find what is common to those who do have the problem.

If you can, please let us know anything you are doing differently - such as are you using a proxy? A particular Anti Virus? A particular firewall? A advertising blocker? A script blocker? Are you logged in on an Admin account? Have you installed all of the Windows patches? Do you have all of the .net framework versions installed? All of the patches for the programs such as Java, Adobe etc? Or anything else that is not standard off the shelf and fully patched Windows.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Operating System and version are you using? Windows 7 64-bit
What browsers and versions have you tried? Firefox 22.0
Are you running any browser plugins that might be blocking cookies or JavaScript like AdBlock or NoScript? Yes, Adblock Plus & Ghostery (both latest versions. Even disabled and browser rebooted, cookies cleared, problem persists)
What anti-virus software and version are you using? McAfee Total Protection 12.1
What firewall are you using? McAfee Personal Firewall 13.1
Have you tried to login on a different computer? Yes
What URL / Link are you having a problem with? http://newvegas.nexusmods.com
What is the exact error message being displayed? None....I just get tossed back to the NewVegas.Nexusmods.com page, but I'm not logged in.

Also I am a HughesNet satellite internet user. HughesNet does use something called "Turbo Page". It is not a proxy, but it is some sort of caching system. It works by having HughesNet keep a cached version of web pages stored on their end in order to speed browsing for users. I am not certain of the technical aspects of it...but it's not just a simple cookie. Anyways, we as HughesNet users do have a way of 'resetting' our Turbo Page settings by accessing our modems configuration settings and resetting Turbo Page. But even that is not a total fix. That dumps the page on our end, but the cached version on the HughesNet end....the 'end' in their Germantown, MD. servers, still holds that original cached version. Supposedly those caches do get dumped too. I just do not know how often. So it is possible that HughesNet users might just have to wait awhile until HughesNet caches get flushed on the ISP side.

Oh, I'm also using NetFramework version 4

I have been wondering if blocking cookies may have something to do with these problems. Try allowing 3rd party cookies as a test - then if that works, most browsers have a way to allow certain sites to set cookies while blocking others.

Try disabling Windows UAC ( for testing only) to see if that is blocking you.

A look at your browser add ons might show something also.

Be sure to run these programs with administrator privileges (NOT the same as being logged on as an admin - thank MS for that mass confusion)

Help for that here: http://s1.zetaboards.com/bbenlibrary/topic/4912979/1/

I use Firefox, Adblock plus, Ghostery, Comodo internet security on a fully updated Win7x64. My ISP is a smaller privately owned regional operator - And I have no problems. ALL of my programs are legal, either purchased or open source licensed. I do clean my system every once in a while - remove junk, run a different AV from a CD (Kaspersky Rescue CD) use Revo to remove unwanted programs, run Ccleaner and remove a lot of trash cookies ( there is a place to tell it which cookies to keep) as well as cleaning the registry. and then a full defrag on all except my SSD drives.

There are a lot of trash programs that will sneak onto your system with free downloads - It's possible one of these is causing problems. - ASK search engine is one of the worst. Also, look for one called conduit (it hijacks advertising and substitutes its own - AND it has been known to change your browser settings for things like the default search engine) - it hides itself very well and is difficult to completely remove - these are not viruses. But I still consider them malware because of the way they try to fool you into installing them, then make it difficult to remove them. I have a suggestion on where the people that make these kind of programs can put them, but it would be impolite to post here.

Help removing Conduit: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-search-virus/

What Operating System and version are you using? Win 7 64

What browsers and versions have you tried? Firefox 22.0 & Chrome 28.0.1500.95 m4

Are you running any browser plugins that might be blocking cookies or JavaScript like AdBlock or NoScript? Firefox: Adblock Plus (Nexus is on the exceptions list), NoScript & Better Privacy. Chrome: No.

What anti-virus software and version are you using? Microsoft Security Essentials

What firewall are you using? Windows firewall

Have you tried to login on a different computer? No

What URL / Link are you having a problem with? http://morrowind.nexusmods.com//? & http://skyrim.nexusmods.com//?

What is the exact error message being displayed? No error message. If I delete cookies / history in Chrome and reload the page, I'm allowed to login most of the time. I need to do this every time I logout and return. edit: Third party cookies are allowed in Chrome, Do Not Track is usually checked in Chrome, but same result checked or unchecked.

Hey Bben46, Thanks for the reply.

I generally run a fairly secure PC. Everything gets dumped when I close my browser, CCleaner runs at start up everyday, as well as RegVac registry cleaner. I also use Spyware Blaster, plus those FF plug ins. (All with Admin priveleges)...and yeah, I know the difference between an Admin account and Admin priveleges for applications. :-) As for UAC? I keep it off anyways...

I'll set my browser and plug ins (for a test) to accept 3rd party cookies for the site and have the plug ins set the exceptions. I'll post back with my results.

Can you guys check on something as well? From my understanding, from a member who posted in another topic trying to help me.....regarding the News section on the Nexus...He shared a link for the News section on Skyrim. I've been playing Fallout New Vegas as of late, but the news on Skyrim has been updated, as well as quite a few other nexus sites. But the news section for New Vegas is still displaying the latest update as being 2 weeks ago. But when the member was helping me, he explained that all of the News sections get updated all at once??? Dark0ne posts it, for instance on Skyrim, it auto updates all of the Nexus news sections. Is that correct? OR does he have to manually make a post on all of the nexus sites? Like I mentioned, that last news update on New Vegas has been 2 weeks ago.

The same for me : unable to login anymore in the Skyrim nexus.

Edit > Tried into the Morrowind Nexusmods : the same.