LCD Monitor for Gaming...Suggestions?

There is some debate going behind the scenes about the 16x10 and 16x9, being that last the one used in most movies and media and the former mostly used for games. The concern is over a possible standardization which would almost certainly drives the monitors toward the 1080p already used on HD TV, what would render the actual 16x10 out the native resolution. Nothing is certain by now.

Tbh i don't even see why you need two.
Yes, these monitors a quite wide!!! Right now, I only have one on my desk (well, OK, it is just a white Sam's club fold-up table). It would have been simply ridiculous to have 3 of these babies on the table...you'd have to swing your head 45 degrees to see end-to-end!!!

These screens are big enough to have two window apps running side-by-side on each one. This opens up some new opportunities for me in several ways.

3D Modeling - Screen #1 can use the entire thing for Blender and have room internally for more views to fit comfortably. Screen #2 will have a file explorer window and my painting application...all visible at the same time!

Gaming - Screen #1 will have the game running on it, screen #2 will have my temperature-monitoring application (CPUID HWMonitor) and possibly a page with all the useful console commands / cheat codes / secret locations / etc.

hmm...I was going to list more but apparently, I don't do anything else on my rig at home. :D

LHammonds

3D Modeling - Screen #1 can use the entire thing for Blender and have room internally for more views to fit comfortably. Screen #2 will have a file explorer window and my painting application...all visible at the same time!

Well yea i do the same exact thing, exepct that i have my second monitor on a desk that's 1 meter away from the Samsung. Sometimes i use it for texturing while modelign on the biggy but mostly it is busy displaying some reference images and/or itunes :)

Why have 2 of them, i would go with one large samsung and my 42inch Sharp Aquos witch als have a refresh rate of 120hertz, and put them is duel mode :biggrin:

or just use the TV as monitor. Witch looks fantastic, but unfortunately the 9800gtx's don't have a refresh rate of a 120 hertz, So you get that blur effect on the tv.

Another reason to wait for the 300gt :biggrin:

Question does the 295 support a refresh rate of a 120 hertz?

many applications, including some games, allows spanning the view across more than one monitor, one become literally immersed in the game's world with three these babies.

How can i do that? i mean having two displays on one computer? does it work with laptops too?
You have to have a video card that can support two monitors or have two video cards. You can then configure your windows desktop to "extend" your desktop to use both. I don't think you can use two monitors at once with a laptop unless the video adapter was designed for it (not likely). You can hook up an external monitor but it will show exactly what your laptop LCD screen is showing...usually has a 3-way toggle so that only the Laptop screen is showing, or just the external monitor or both at the same time.

Why have 2 of them, i would go with one large samsung and my 42inch Sharp Aquos witch als have a refresh rate of 120hertz, and put them is duel mode :biggrin:
I described a situation above where a single big screen could not replicate...going into a game and having the 2nd monitor showing your PC temps and/or text related to that game.

or just use the TV as monitor. Witch looks fantastic, but unfortunately the 9800gtx's don't have a refresh rate of a 120 hertz, So you get that blur effect on the tv.
The problem is not so much refresh rate as it is resolution. You typically have to drop your desktop resolution quite considerably to be viewable on the screen and even more in order to read text. HD TVs are cheaper than PC monitors but at the cost of resolution. If you are primarily wanting to watch movies via your PC, an HD TV is fine but if your primary use is playing games, modeling or anything requiring high resolution, then stick with a PC monitor.

Even though I have a Blu-Ray player/burner in my computer, it won't be used for playing movies...if anything, it will be used for creating data backup discs. :)

LHammonds

No its not the resolution, the blur effects in every scenario, very noticeable in games. It is the refresh rate, my video cards cant match it.

I don't see why i should get a resolution higher then that, something that would match my tv's refresh rate and contrast ratio witch is very close to the Samsung monitors also looks fantastic. If you ever need of a tv, get one with a refresh rate of a 120hurtz. Its worth it.

model

http://www.sharp.ca/products/index.asp?cat=78&id=819