CTD when using "Large" textures... despite an amazing computer

Dahveed

I have a 12 gb beast of a machine I bought in november 2013,and a 2gb nvidia geForce GTX 770.

I have a pretty stable game in general, and I have many texture mods,all of which have been optimized using a texture optimizer. I get a smooth 40=60 fps everywhere.

But for some reason I just can't get the oblivion engine to use the full extent of the texture mods I use.

I mean the engine uses the textures, but since they are on "small" or "medium" size they look pixelated and not at all optimal...

However, if I try to change the settings to use "Large" textures, I CTD when I try to load my game, every time.

Is there any kind of known issue with this?

I would provide more details but honestly I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting something like this. Google gave me nothing, forum searches gave me many different CTD issues but nothing resembling my problem in the slightest.

I really don't know how to even have a clue what could be causing this.

Any tips would be appreciated, thank you.

Something to remember with most games, some of them can't always use the fullest of your computer, skyrim for example has a 4gb ram limit, so if you overuse the limit of the game it will ctd, this is most likely why you crash.

I'm not sure about oblivions limit though.

Something to remember with most games, some of them can't always use the fullest of your computer, skyrim for example has a 4gb ram limit, so if you overuse the limit of the game it will ctd, this is most likely why you crash.

I'm not sure about oblivions limit though.

You are absolutely right.

You reminded me that I hadn't yet used the 4gb .exe patch yet... modding 101 :/ Can't believe I forgot to do that!

Kudos for that - my load times have been hugely reduced, and the large textures work now :)

Thanks!

BAH!

I spoke too soon.

The 4gb patch seemed to work at first, but after playing for less than a minute i would CTD again. Even reducing texture sizes, the 4gb patch is problematic, it would seem.

Anyone know about this?

Have you tried vanilla with large textures? If yes,do you still get CTDs?

Other than that,your load order would be helpful. We can mod oblivion's brains out,that's a fact but I don't think that it means the game will be able to take everything and keep on going. I could be wrong but that's what I think.

The problem is the oblivion's code and ctds due to memory limit are a very known problem. You can have the better pc in the world but oblivion is not optimized to use it. The only way is using a purger like my mod Memory Purger - extended. You can find it on nexus.

Oblivion is an old game and was born to use plugin but it's not ready to use them in an heavy way like today.

• 1 year later...

The problem is the oblivion's code and ctds due to memory limit are a very known problem. You can have the better pc in the world but oblivion is not optimized to use it. The only way is using a purger like my mod Memory Purger - extended. You can find it on nexus.

Oblivion is an old game and was born to use plugin but it's not ready to use them in an heavy way like today.

I'm having the same issue as above, even with a vanilla game I can't use large texture size without frozen loading screen or CTD at the end of a loadbar. I'm using Oblivion Reloaded (I wanted to use OBGE with ENB and got more than I bargained for) and I mean, with textures on medium size it seems okay. But turning it up to large is required, as stated in the description. But it just refuses to work and I followed the installation instructions to the letter.

You mentioned that Memory Purger Extended is integrated into OR, and my Oblivion still isn't letting me use large textures. I'm using an AMD Radeon R9 200 series and 16.0 GB of RAM.

I'll put my LO below in a spoiler, in case that's any help.

Also KA_dachshund is my own mod, it's just a companion so I don't think that would be relevant.

EDIT: I used the 4GB RAM patch and although it did allow me to load my save, the world is an empty gray space and when I open my inventory my character has no animation another than blinking.

0 0 Oblivion.esm

1 1 Lattamerv3.esm

2 2 All Natural Base.esm

3 3 Cobl Main.esm

4 4 Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

5 5 Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

6 6 DLCShiveringIsles.esp

7 7 Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp

8 8 Knights.esp

9 9 All Natural - Real Lights.esp

10 a Book Jackets Oblivion.esp

11 b Sounds of Cyrodiil.esp

RustyItems.esp

Cobl Bookjackets.esp

VA_BetterGold.esp

12 c FenrirTheWolf.esp

Real Lava 1.3.esp

Symphony of Violence.esp

13 d RealisticForceMedium.esp

14 e Fishing in Cyrodiil.esp

15 f All Natural.esp

16 10 Cobl Glue.esp

17 11 Millstone_Farm_COBL.esp

Grass Overhaul.esp

18 12 24HrArenaAliveV2.esp

19 13 24HrArenaAliveV2Towers.esp

20 14 Enhanced Water v2.0 HDMI.esp

21 15 Immersive Interiors.esp

22 16 Immersive Interiors - Landscape Addon.esp

23 17 Better Bell Sounds.esp

24 18 RAEVWD Cities.esp

25 19 Falling Leaves.esp

26 1a Ducks and Swans.esp

27 1b Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp

28 1c Slof's Horses Base.esp

29 1d RAEVWD Imperial City.esp

30 1e Zira's Horse Stable.esp

31 1f Slof's Dogs.esp

32 20 Clover the lucky pig.esp

33 21 Zira's Clydesdale Horses.esp

34 22 SnowGusts.esp

35 23 RidableWolf.esp

36 24 FarmAnimalsofCyrodiil.esp

37 25 autosavertest.esp

38 26 Zira's Horse Modpack - Heavy Legion Horses.esp

39 27 Zira's Horse Modpack - My Horses.esp

40 28 PersonalPackGuars.esp

41 29 Camping.esp

42 2a RangersFoxV1_2.esp

43 2b em_packrideponies1.esp

44 2c Zira's Horse Modpack - Friesian Horses.esp

45 2d Zira's Horse Modpack - Shadowmere.esp

46 2e DAWoolyWarMammothMount.esp

47 2f Maigrets Pet Fox.esp

48 30 EM_FarmAnimals1.esp

49 31 Lobo_the_Wolf_v101.esp

LadyDeadlock_LoveYourHorse.esp

50 32 Benjamin the Donkey - pimped up version.esp

51 33 Alluring Potion Bottles v3.esp

52 34 Alluring Wine Bottles.esp

53 35 RenGuardOverhaul.esp

54 36 RedBag - Friendly Animals.esp

55 37 OblivionReloaded.esp

OblivionReloadedArenaCombat.esp

56 38 Cute Leather Dress.esp

57 39 Folk Dress Collection.esp

Enhanced Water v2.0 HD - SI Addon.esp

58 3a HAZeatanimations.esp

59 3b Tavern-Goers 2.esp

60 3c Idle Dialogue.esp

61 3d LoadingScreens.esp

62 3e EM_Packdonkeys.esp

63 3f All Natural - SI.esp

64 40 Basic Primary Needs.esp

65 41 RAEVWD New Sheoth.esp

66 42 Cobl Si.esp

MaleBodyReplacerV5.esp

67 43 Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp

Cobl Tweaks.esp

EVE_KhajiitFix.esp

EVE_KnightsoftheNine.esp

68 44 Cobl Silent Equip Misc.esp

EVE_StockEquipmentReplacer.esp

Improved Fires and Flames - Increased Sound.esp

69 45 Harvest [Flora].esp

Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp

70 46 WindowLightingSystem.esp

71 47 KA_Dachshund.esp

72 48 kuerteeHorseCommands.esp

73 49 Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Edited by Zodiark10

• 2 weeks later...

The 4GB patch did wonders for my recent FO3 reboot with lots of mods and retexts. Before: crash every 5-10 minutes. After: crash every 20-30 minutes. And though FO3 was built using the Oblivion engine it does not seem to do that great with Oblivion. If it helped at all I barely noticed.

if you are using the 4gb patch I would recommend using oblivion stutter remover and play around with the heap setting. somewhere between 750 and 1000 seems to work best for me and stops ctds when fast travelling to open spaces. There is also a stand alone heap mod on the nexus somewhere which is equally as good although does not have some of the extras of osr.

lately I have given up gaudy lush mod & Qarl texture replacer mod, also all texture related ... until I find this new simple mod >> Oblivion halfsized

it works superb for me, in exchange for reduced beautification so this option is not for everybody for sure.

with a very sad heart I let go Lush Gaudy mod for all the greenies & Qarl for more detailed texture..... :pinch:

usually I start at RAM 290 - 340 mb (depend on area),

but using that Oblivion halfsize now it is about 170 - 230 mb. To see RAM usage use command tdt then command SetDebugText 13 in console mode

I wonder if quarter size will free up some more RAM for me... but still no user that upload it (complete texture pack) like that Oblivion halfsized

longer gameplay, longer fun. yeah you know, in exchange reduced texture quality. I can tolerate that anyway

Edited by lubronbrons