Black Widow - A Short Story

zprospero

I wrote this for a creative writing class I took in college. It's inspiration was

from darker times. I actually got it published in the college's literary magazine.

Although, they tell me that when I read it aloud it makes the story more effective.

Warning, this has some fairly violent images and is very long for a short story. Discretion advised.

A fencepost appears to have punctured my torso. That can’t be good. My name is Nicodemus, or was, I suppose. My friends call me Nix, and I am dying. I am committing suicide… I forgot to leave a note though. Oh well. I wish I picked a different method. I jumped off of a rooftop and landed on this fence. I forgot about the fence. Now I seem to have a spike through my chest. I rather wish I didn’t. In some way, though… It feels better. It is better now that people can see I’m suffering. At least, see this bloodied spike. You see, I have always been quite… unnoticeable. I can’t stand social events; they drive me into a fit of terror. Coward, I suppose. Oh well. I do ache for it though. To be wanted. But to get that… It’s a little like a starving man trying to eat an apple that can bite him back… A little. When you’re alone, that is terrible. The only proof that you are there is you… and what if you aren’t there, not really? Even people who get tortured may draw comfort from the presence of their tormentor. Sounds twisted, but true. It is terrible wanting to feel. Wanting to know. It gets so you even crave tormentors. Even pain can be satisfying in the end. Oh well.

I haven’t always been this way. Last week, I was fine. Well, I’ve never been fine, but better. I don’t go jumping off buildings every day, you know. I think it was happiness. I don’t know. Seemed like it. They called me the most prominent robotics scientist in the world. A wizard of computing. Makes me all fuzzy inside. I had the most beautiful wife in the world. Perhaps all men imagine that of their wives, but it was true of her. Body and soul. We lived by the seashore. We had a beach. What could ruin all that? You must be thinking that I am crazy. I am. You might even envy me. Hell, I envy me. I envy the before. It is the after that has driven this spike through my chest. I still have the house, you know. The job too. So, there’s the real question. Why? Did I cheat on her, you ask? I loved her more than anything. Did she leave me? No. At least, you’re being reasonable. Did she…? Well…

You must understand. I am, was, an experimental researcher. Corporations have a tendency to lean on us. Sometimes to the point of overwhelming illegality. Should have been a barber. We were kidnapped. Taken to a nondescript warehouse. All the usual clichés. Surprising they didn’t blindfold us. They took us to a room, with a gun on a table. One bullet only. They threatened to do all sorts of horrible things to her. I begged them. I promised them everything… But… They wanted… They wanted me to shoot her. They promised me that she’d regret every breath if I didn’t. She asked me to do it… So they wouldn’t hurt me… I couldn’t let her suffer. So they could blackmail me for her death, they filmed it. After it was over, they tied me to the chair, left me alone, and made me watch it. I gave them everything they wanted, but they didn’t turn it off… After, they beat me half to death, and I guess… I decided to finish the job for them.

I was developing robots. Little drones, I made. I wanted them to stay in proximity to each other so I used Bluetooth transmitters and receivers. Remarkably simple programming, but complex hive-mind behaviors developed. I used a main server to command them all. I built my masterpiece around it. Prototype X. Not a catchy name, is it? Cliché, too. Ha! I lay here bleeding to death, and I’m still criticizing my own work. She hated that. When I doubted myself.

What’s this? They look like spiders. Lots. Oh… Of course. My drones. I gave them the shape of spiders. Why are they here? Did they follow me? I gave them all sorts of lovely tools. I can hear them doing something. I wonder what? Sounds like cutting. Ow! I’m on the ground. They’ve cut the spike. Why? I hope that… Oh, dear…

I developed a brain-machine interface device, you know. Downside is you have to get a hole cut in your head. I always liked wearing hats. It lets you control a computer with your mind. I designed it to help people who had been paralyzed, but I discovered that the process had other unique applications. Certain programs were capable of reading the neural input so well they could even save the memory engrams into a computer file. This is a destructive operation, however, essentially erasing the original brain. I experimented with some smaller creatures. Spiders and ants. Tiny brains, and very simple minds. I put their engrams in my spider-drones. Why am I telling you this? Well, I’m just a little… nervous. I used the natural engrams, you see, which means natural behaviors might exhibit themselves. Particularly at the sight of blood… My blood… I think they’re dragging me. I may desire death, but not this death. Why didn’t I hang myself like a normal person? They have orb-weaver engrams which means I had to give them some sort of spinnerets. They spin a high-tension synthetic cyber-webbing… I’m a little concerned that I gave them working fangs… Probably was unwise… They’ve got their webs about me. Where are they taking me?

Oh, look. It’s my neighbor’s house. I’m glad it’s still night. I don’t need a bunch of people fawning over me. Telling me it will be alright. They don’t know what they’re talking about… I’m home. I guess they think it’s their colony. Ant engrams. Hmm. What? Ow! They banged me into the steps! Ow! Twice! They’re trying something else, finally. I can feel them… Ooh, it tickles! Ah, there. Good work. They’ve got me onto the porch. I’m in the house now. Someone will have to clean this carpet. Oh… The blood loss… I feel so… tired… What? My computer? What are you doing, little drones? I can see the engram program running… What? No… No, please… I don’t want that… Stop… Please?

Still here? Pain’s gone, at least. Heaven? No, doesn’t feel like it. Hell? No, not that either. Oh well. I am somewhere. Ah! My eyes! Ow. Feels like they’ve shattered. What could be doing that? I can just make out some of my drones. My hands feel strange. My fingers… I feel… No, I don’t… I don’t feel anything! Not even a floor beneath me. That’s disconcerting. What happened, little drone?

‘Master’s old format corrupted. We reformat.’

I think I just crashed into something. Sounded like it. Wait… Did you just talk? No… I didn’t give you that power. Only Prototype X has a vocal synthesizer. How can you speak to me? I…

‘Master’s reformat complete. Master is server-drone.’

What? No… No… That means that… I am…

‘Prototype X only format capable of processing master’s engrams.’

They’ve made me into an eight foot long mechanical spider? I didn’t want this! I just wanted silence. Nothingness. Why did you do this to me?

‘Master is Royalty. We preserve. We protect. Master is Queen.’

Ha ha ha. The ant engrams. You think I’m your queen? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha! Why ha ha ha can’t ha ha ha ha I stop ha ha ha ha ha laughing? Ha ha ha ha ha ha…!

‘Master has initialized deadlock. Drones will resolve.’

Oh… Much better. Deadlock? Wonderful. I forgot… I have a processor instead of a brain. I can’t do two things at once. What a horrible thing has been done to me… Wait… I’ve tapped into the house’s wireless. Ah, my head! So much information, so quick. Such power. That’s it! My eyes, they feel fractured because I have eight of them, and I can see miles away through each. My fingers? No, they’re my legs. My eight legs, and my mandibles. Fangs. Hmm. What? Look at that. Every step I take breaks the concrete. Ha! I’m in my laboratory. I can hear… Everything. The neighbors are being interviewed by the police. Oh, how sweet, she’s crying for me. A trail of blood from the fence to the house. Dead man plugged into a computer. So, that’s what happened. But, how do you speak, little drone?

‘Not ‘I.’ We. All drones speak to Royalty.’

The hive-mind? Is that what you mean? You developed far beyond what I thought possible. I must say I’m feeling quite smug… Well, as can be expected. Why do you sound like Peter Lorre?

‘We have no sound, master. What you think you hear is merely what you think you should hear.’

How do you know that? I mean, you’re not supposed to be that smart.

‘Master’s engrams give us added intelligence.’

You mean my mind is part of your hive, but not ruled by it? You can learn from me then, can’t you?

‘Master make us this way.’

Yes, I did. I see… an opportunity. Might as well make the best of this situation. I was frustrated by my helplessness. My weakness. My cowardice. I am no longer afraid, I am no longer weak, and I am certainly no longer helpless. My mind is clear. So focused. I am unstoppable. Inviolable. I am immortal. Stronger than any human being, but… Ah! Blood power cord! I must divine something else.

‘Royalty’s command?’

We are departing. Let me see… Google maps, yes. Searching… searching… Here we are. This is an unmanned hydroelectric dam. Any power we draw off will be considerably negligible. Unlimited recharging station. Let us… Oh, right. Eight foot long metal spider… We should be discreet. Is it nightfall yet?

‘Bright sphere is gone from sky.’

Excellent. We go.

I remember walking through this forest with her. It is still beautiful. Makes me sad. The saplings snap under my weight. The trees blister when I rest my feet upon them. I don’t actually have feet, of course. That’s probably why. Hmm. Oh well. A path of destruction trails behind me. Oh well… Again. Stop! Quiet. Listen to that! It’s a deer. I can hear it’s quivering. The blood rushing through it’s veins. The frantic heartbeat. It’s a good sound.

Here we are. The power station. We will need to establish recharging consoles. Can you do this without my assistance drones?

‘We have Royalty’s engrams. We know. We obey.’

Ha, it bowed to me. Good. Gives me time to… … … … … … … Deadlock again. That is becoming most irritating. What? Did you say something? No? Oh… I need a web.

‘Master, there is no Wi-Fi signal here.’

How is it possible for robots to be stupid? I mean an actual web. A spider web! Why? I don’t know. Leave me alone! Back to work! I just… need one. How do I even go about this bloody… Oh, wow. This is easy. Why is this so easy? Oh, no. They didn’t delete the spider engrams! That… … … … What? Deadlock again? Enough. I need to finish. There. My synthetic webbing uses crystalline fibers, you know. Pretty. Now, what?

Ah, yes. The thugs. Where would they be? The warehouse. Yes, that must be it. The warehouse. I doubt they’ve left it. They told me they wouldn’t. Yes. They said that they were selling it all in three days. I guess they thought they had me in their pocket deep enough they could spill a bit about their plans. Yes, two days to go. We…

‘Master, may we feed?’

What? What are you talking about?

‘Master’s web has captured nourishment for the colony. May we partake?’

Birds have gotten caught in my web. They want to drink their blood? What, why? You don’t need blood. Only power. Spider engrams. Hmm… No, you may not feed.

‘But, master…’

I said no! Energy only, you dare to question me?

‘No, Royalty.’

Good. Then recharge, and release the animals from the web.

‘Master, may we not, at least, store them until…’

NO! Release them. I’m sure the web will procure other victims. Oh… How vile my thoughts have turned in my anger… I will procure other victims for you. You will feed, but later. When I say. Understand?

‘Yes, Royalty.’

I can hear the creature’s fluttering hearts. I can see why my drones crave their blood. They sound delicious… No! I must maintain my logic. I am no beast, not yet.

What am I then? Freak? Yes, quite likely. Insane? Oh, I’ve already covered that. Monster? Most assuredly so. Why should I care? What does it matter, these labels? What are the thoughts and words of humanity to me? They are but flesh. Am I not greater? Ooze wrapped in fleshy container. I am ordered. Perfected. They last only a short time. A fleeting time… I am forever. I am evolved. I am perfection. YES. Humanity is nothing. Nothing more to me than those birds to my drones. Nourishment. We cannot be stopped. We will not be! Revenge, for us all. I wonder… Where did that deer get to?

It is nightfall. I suppose we’ll wait. Oh, I just thought of something. What good is their suffering if they do not know who is inflicting it? Or why. I must be able to speak. The vocal synthesizer, yes.

“RRRRRHHHEEEEE…!” How unpleasant. I must concentrate… “RRRHHEEEE… Really, now… Hey… It works! I speak from the grave!” Oh. Impressive power consumption, however. Back to the recharging console. Oh… Drones, do you hear that?

‘Yes, Royalty.’

Keep watch. Sounds like a human is approaching. Female. At night? Yes, I can see her. She’s headed this way. Why? Drones, can you intercept her without letting her scream? No, I don’t want you to use your fangs.

‘Perhaps, it would be better then if Royalty approached her.’

Why? Oh… They’re getting smarter. Eight foot metal spider. Forgot. Let us see. Over the hill here and… “Hello!” They were right. Down she went. Drones, bring her back to colony.

‘Master, may we…’

No, you may not. I have other plans for her. You will get to feed, but only when I say, understand? Ha, it nodded. Make sure she can’t get away. Fortunately, the noise from the turbines should prevent her screams from being heard when she wakes up.

‘Master, why…’

That is my affair. Thank you. Go back and recharge.

She’s up at last. Oh, the noise. “Miss, please! I have extremely sensitive hearing, and these screeching turbines test my patience enough. Don’t make me paralyze your vocal chords.” Hey, it shut her up. “Believe it or not, I’m not going to hurt you.” She can’t believe it. Well, I did give her an option. “Look, miss. Why were you out here at night?” Hmm. Oh, right. Eight foot metal spider. Forgot. “It’s a long story, all right? One I don’t want to get into. So?” Hiking. Oh, good lord. “Have never seen a horror movie?” Why is she here? I knew she was going to ask that. “I’m not particularly sure, to be honest.” Now, she’s getting mad at me. “Look, dear, I still have the option of hurting you, you know.” There, that calmed her. Ah, I need to recharge. There. “You look like her.” Who? She asks. “My wife, before she… died. I was a human once, you know.” That threw her. “I suppose any woman would remind me of her, though.” She looks sad for me. Surprising. “Actually, that’s sort of why you’re here.” What do I mean? “I’m… lonely, alright? All I want is for you to tell me that you… love me. Lie, my dear. That’s all I want. I know it’s twisted, and I am sorry to ask it, but… All I have left is a lie.” Hmm. No. “Not like that, dear. It has to be a good lie. No one will ever love me again, not the way she did. Make me believe for one moment, that someone in this world cares about me. Then I will release you. Sincere or not, it doesn’t matter. Even an illusion may give comfort. I’m going to rest. I can’t actually sleep, so don’t try to escape.” Oh, yes. Drones. Remove her restraints. Let us rest.

“Where are you going, my dear?” She’s approaching me. What… What is she… Oh, she’s laid down beside me. She’s put her hand on me. It’s maddening that I can’t feel it. I love you, she says. Wow. “I assure you, my dear, if I could shed tears I’d be weeping from every eye. You may go.” What? She wants to stay? Just until sunrise. “Your mercy is awe-inspiring. A captive should not be so kind to her captor. May you be blest for your pity on this monster.” She’s closed her eyes. I forgot what it was like to watch someone sleep. I wish I could cry.

It is dawn, and once more I am alone.

‘Master?’

Yes, drone?

‘She was nice.’

Heh. Yes, she was. Tonight is the night. Alert me when dark has come. Do not disturb me before. I wish to be alone.

Nightfall. Yes. Drones, for your Royalty!

‘Yes, master!’

I think I’m beginning to like that. To the warehouse. Tonight is the sale. Yes.

Here we are. Drones, to the rooftop.

‘How master follow?’

Quite right. Time to put my arachnid features to the test. Beautiful. My legs tear into the brick of the old building. Yes, how fast I am. Ah! Slipped. I love having spinnerets. Yes, to the roof. A skylight. Excellent. I see the two men, and the corporate goon. Yes, but wait… I hear another voice. A woman? Drone! Descend. Let us see this woman.

A scream? Ah… Damn! The drone is destroyed. For your fallen comrade! Don’t let them escape. Down.

In they pour. Like water through a drain. Beautiful. Ah, let me see if this Bluetooth transmitter shoved up my thorax is actually useful. Ha! I locked the doors. Yes, we shall see who screams now. Such glorious skill. I have never seen my spiders spin webs with such speed and precision. The whole place is enclosed. Subtlety first. I must elicit the proper response.

“Greetings, my friends. Do you remember my voice?” I shout from the rooftop. No reason to reveal my true nature yet. “This is a sad approximation of it, I know, but the best I can muster.” No reply. “Perhaps, you are thinking to yourselves, it cannot be him. He is dead. It said so on the television. No such luck, I’m afraid.” Time for my entrance. Through the skylight, and down to the floor. How they scream! What music! “You dared contend with my brilliance! My vision! Fools. You can never really kill a genius. Our work lives on.”

Another scream, louder, more terrified. The woman? She hides from me. “Out of the shadows, female! I can hear your blood. You cannot hide.” She emerges. What? No… No… It can’t be. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No… Damn it! No! No! No! “You! I saw you die! You cannot be here! How?” She falls to the floor and screams even louder. My voice out of this body is likely startling.

Ah! Noisy. One of the thugs struck my back with a pipe. Fool! Oh… I bet that hurt. These legs are essentially spikes. Ah, my promise. Drones, you may feed. Eww… That must really hurt. Not on her! Oh, I impaled the little fellow. Oh well. She is mine.

“Please, my love, tell me all about it. Hmm?” It wasn’t her idea, she says. They forced her. I wish I could believe her… “Oh, boys!” I turn to the thugs. “Is she telling the truth? Tell me and I’ll kill you outright. I imagine death would feel pretty good about now.” It was her idea, was it? They’ve planned it for how long? Oh, dear. Let me see. There, right through their three skulls. I keep my promises. “I can hear you.” She’s trying to get away. Keep her here.

“You look divine, my dear. Especially for a dead woman.” She’s cornered now. Odd, she doesn’t look frightened. She’s approaching me. What is she doing? Oh, she’s… holding me. I can’t feel it, but still… She says she’s sorry. She never wanted to hurt me. “But you did. How could you do that to me? Has your love always been a lie?” No, she says. Even in this shell, I sound like I am crying. Maybe I am. “I remember… The flowers you would send me. No one had ever been that thoughtful to me.” This sentimentality is a weakness. I don’t care! “You were the only person who ever made me think, even for a moment, that I was worthy of love. To be cared about. I told you this. Yet, still you betrayed me? You convinced me that I murdered you. You knew how much losing you alone would hurt me, but that wasn’t enough? You used my love to hasten my death? You always said you liked…”

That noise. What was that? Where are her hands? ARGH! “YOU LYING MISERABLE WENCH!” I’ve flung her into a wall. Snap the access panel to my battery core shut. “How dare you! You apologize to me, let me pour out what little is left of my heart, and you try to murder me?!” Drones, wrap her up. “It is not enough you used my love for you to kill me once? One more couldn’t hurt, could it?” Now, she’s scared. Ooh, how she begs. “Mercy? I’m afraid that mercy is not in my programming.” The pneumatics in my mandibles drop my fangs. “I am a spider, now. I should really know better than to trust my spouse. They have a tendency to bite off our heads after they get what they want. Devour the weaker mate. Unfortunately for you, I was not weak enough… A little secret, my dear. I did develop a weapon. Yes, I know, I spouted my idealistic non-combat philosophy, but I just couldn’t resist. In my fangs is a rather impressive cyber-venom. I designed it so my drones could devour machinery and electronics. Acid based, you know. I’ve never tried it on a human being before, but I can theorize.” Listen to that heart. How cold it sounds. “It should leave you paralyzed. It will drain all the strength and will from you, but leave your flesh alive and…” I feel nothing, but she does, as I run one of my mandibles against her skin. “Sensitive… I tried this method of consumption once, on an animal, just earlier this day. You know what I discovered?” Ha! She shook her head. “The nourishment is meaningless, but the act… The act is exquisite. The way you feel it in your head is… bliss, and the sound. The cracking of the beast’s bones as you overtake and crush it. The thrashing. The death noise. Every vibration tickling my ears, if I had any. Every scream, beyond beauty. I know now why spiders kill. I wonder what music you’ll make, my love, as I eat you alive.” Ah, the fir2st note in a symphony of screams. “Bwah ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!”

DeAdLOck! nO! NO! I CaNnot bE sTopPeD nOW!

“HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!”

NO! MuSt sToP! VoCAl synThesIZeR uSes tOo MuCh eNergY!

“HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!”

BaTteRy PoWer lOw. ShUtdoWn cOmmEncIng.

NO! OVERRIDE!

WaRnINg! POWer CRitICal! IF sHuTDown noT COMplEtEddddddddd,,,,,,, tOtAl MeMORy lOsS iMmIneNt!

I DON’T CARE! OVVVVVVVVERRRIDDDE!!! sHe wILl nOT EZcaPe mE! “HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!”

POWER FAILURE IMMINENT!

No… nOT yEt… Wait… I just waNt to tEll her…

What you have just read were the memory engrams salvaged from an enormous robotic spider that was found in the warehouse on 42nd Street. Three men were found dead. Impaled through their foreheads, and one woman. Who lay pinned beneath the metal creature and apparently died from a self inflicted gunshot wound. Friends of the famous doctor say: “His name was Nicodemus but we called him ‘Nix,’ because he always denied himself for others. He deserved better than a black widow."

The End

The perspective I wrote this from greatly restricts me in what all I can do.

If I could show the characters interacting, in addition to hearing it from

his perspective, then I might be able to expand on some things, but the

reader is imprisoned along with the main character inside his mind.

I honestly just don't know how I could expand on it.

Excellently done.

And you did not give into the much used type of ending of the drones going on to conquer the world.

I suggest that you put it away, in a sense, let others respond to it and one day take it out when you can take a fresh look at it. It is surprising how new insights arise from doing such things.

Again, excellent!

Again, excellent!

Edited by Maharg67

Thank you. (Especially for taking the time to read it all)

I think the reason that so many stories end with the whole 'world conquest by machines'

bit is because they are written, in some way, about or for the machines. The machines here

are meant merely to act as macguffins. Everything is centered about the main character,

and the drones are extensions of his will and mind, they just happen to have physical forms.

Just as the story ends when the main character does, so does his will, and therefore his drones.

What I was most trying to involve was irony. The most human and emotional character is in the

most inhuman body, and in the stark contrast between the two women encountered. Ironically,

the one that knew him only as a mechanical monster shows him more love and compassion than

the one that knew him as a man.

I believe you're right, about putting it away, and that's part of the reason I posted

it here. Not many people have read my work, and fresh perspectives and opinions

are always welcome as they greatly recharge my creative juices.

Thank you all again for your comments.

You are welcome!

Another approach to the 'machines conquer the world' approach is to not focus too much on them so that a story can focus on humanity's responses but you blended the 'personality of the menace' as in the drones and the humanity of the man who was both their creator and victim. You did well.

I look forward to reading more of your work in future.

I've thought about something like that, but I think I'd have to revive Nicodemus to do it.

The story is, ultimately, about him.

I started to write a scene where he was ressurected by

the drones, but I don't think that it really works.

It's essentially a story of a man who is destroyed because he

put his trust in the wrong person, and his work sort of takes on

a life of it's own to avenge him.

Once they are both dead, there's really nothing else

to do. Everything has sort of fulfilled its purpose.

Also, please note, I am very interested in people's critique of

specific instances in the story. Was there anything that didn't work

for you, if so why, and if there was anything that worked really well,

etc. Anything the story leaves you wondering? I've never been able

to gauge what effect my stories have on people, really.