Grimoire - New spell package for role-playing

steelfeathers

Steelfeathers, I've got to say, your mod is looks very impressive. That said, I was hoping to make a few suggestions if you don't mind. I have been conceptualizing a magic mod, and while I used to deal with spells, I've found that I would rather keep it focused on magic items and mechanics. For that reason, I have discarded all my spell ideas but I would absolutely love it if you considered implementing a few them in your mod.

Wrath of Magnus: Release a concentrated beam of shock that does exponentially increasing damage at an exponentially increasing cost. This spell is meant to serve as a dragon killer for high level mages playing on master/legendary difficulty. However, it is a waste of magicka on most all other creatures. The values I played around with were damage=60+40^(rootx) and cost=105+14^(rootx) where x is the time in seconds that the spell has been channeled for. A mage with 750 magicka could take out just under half of a high-level dragons health on legendary difficulty before his magicka runs out.

Greater Mind Control: This could be a really fun spell. It would act like the mind control from "Spellmaking in Skyrim: The Last Altar" -- that is you lose control of your character for the duration and gain direct control of the your target-- but unlike in that mod, your targets former allies would not be hostile to him. For example, you mind control one bandit in a group of five, but unless you have the controlled bandit attack some one, the rest of the group doesn't register him as hostile. Ideally, any crimes committed by the mind controlled target would not be attributed to the player. And what would really make this spell awesome (if you plan to add it) would be to make it upkeep based (like ward spells), so instead of having a strict time limit on how long you could control a target it would simply last until your run out of magicka or purposefully stop. And bonus if the mind controlled target can steal things for you. This could open up a whole lot of role play opportunities as an illusion mage or magical thief.

Dark Crystal Scroll: Out of curiosity, is there any downside to this spell other than scarcity? A nice way to balance it would be to reduce the players magicka, health, and stamina by a certain percentage to represent the stored portion of your soul.

Medusa's Stare: Any chance of making the health buffer (that 50% thing) a function of the casters alteration skill and his targets health and magic resistance? Something like minimum health percentage to turn to stone = (Player Alteration Skill^2)/[(0.3*Target Health)+(Target Magic Resistance)]. In this case, a vanilla bandit could be turned to stone at 100% health, a giant at 50% health, a mammoth at 35%, and a Dragon Priest at 22% health. It would also be nice if the spell could affect multiple targets for its duration. On a final note, I think it would be interesting if it wasn't strictly 10 seconds but instead drained a large amount of magicka per second to maintain. Say, 300 per second before reduction. This would reward investing in magicka. I'm pretty sure all this is possible since the Requiem overhaul made some complicated formulas of similar effect in the Illusion school.

Anyways, I'm adding your mod to my list of "must install mods" for when I get a computer that can actually run high-end games. Even if you don't consider any of my suggestions, I would appreciate some of your thoughts as I am an aspiring mod creator. Good luck!

Edited by IThreeDawgI

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@threedawg: Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look at them in more detail when I have time - I'm in a bit of a rush right at the moment. But I'm glad you like my mod so far. ^^

Good idea about Dark Crystal. I'll do that.

Mind control sounds cool, but probably more complicated than I want to try to tackle before the first release. I'm in the 'test and bug-fix' phase right now.

Wrath of magic: neat idea, but I'll probably change it to be a non-elemental spell (or maybe fire, ice, and shock combined into one).

Thanks for the suggestions!

@Mindwork2: I like electric burst, thanks.

Edited by steelfeathers

Maybe "Ice Dagger?" I think it's similar to conjuring a dagger made of ice, right? I know I should check in game but I haven't even been playing much, just testing mods and stuff.

I think Mind Control is a bit excessive. There's already Bend Will as a shout and as a spell which kind of serves that purpose for roleplaying.

Instead of making a new Wrath of Magnus spell, would it be possible to make Lightning Storm function like that? I mean, that spell is the defacto dragon-killer spell for mages, and people don't use the destruction master spells often as it is.

Mind Control is also in Apocalypse.

I think the two (the one in apocalypse and the one suggested in my comment) are slightly different from a mechanical standpoint but I don't know what limitation there are on mind control spells and how much 'control' the player can actually get. What I suggested could be impossible, I don't know.

Edited by IThreeDawgI

One new spell, and a work-in-progress spell:

Challenger (Illusion adept) > Challenge an opponent to a dual, forcing them to fight you for 60 seconds. *Done

Mirror Wall (Alteration master) > Creates a wall of energy around the caster, which reflects all hostile spells back at the attacker for 60 seconds. Your hostile spells are also reflected back at you.

I've also changed Electrify, Molten Core, and Icy Veil - the secondary effects (lingering cold, searing pain, static charge) are now applied both when the caster is hit and when the caster does the hitting. Electrify is no longer an AOE spell, to prevent effect spamming. (When applied to an atronach w/ Infusion, however, these spells ARE AOE. Hehehehe)

When I get back from vacation, I'll put up a new beta version for download. There'll be lots of new spells and bugfixes in this version.

New beta version uploaded!

Jolt > Zap

Time Lock > Time Warp

Ice Shiv > Ice Shard

Change log:
-Fixed Plague Bringer
-Fixed Shatter
-Added Flame Infusion
-Added Frost Infustion
-Added Lightning Infusion
-Added Featherlight
-Added Wyvern Scales
-Added Quiet
-Added Challenge
-Added Heat Lighting, a mixed-element Destruction spell
-Added blessings for Boethiah, Vaermina
-Removed Volatile Mixture, due to an unfixable bug
-Removed Enthrall, due an annoying aggro radius bug that seems unfixable

-Nerfed static charge, for balance (now only 10% chance to electrocute)
-Electrify, Molten Core, and Icy veil now only apply secondary effects when you hit or get hit in combat, to prevent effect spamming.
-Edited Jolt and Light the Tallow - should now work as intended
-Nerfed jolt > sneak boost decreased to 3x.
-Upgraded bone servant equipment/spells - equipment/spells will now get better as the player levels
-Dark crystal now reduces health and magicka by 10 while active. Depositing the crystal removes the effect, and makes you mortal again.

Edited by steelfeathers