Modernized Computers

Rakkal

Alright so I looked around the site trying to find something that made the computers more believable and all I found was some minor updates of the Pipboy and a retexture of the terminals into laptops. I dunno about you, but I find it hard to believe that in two centuries from now where they have laser weapons and giant robots that we still run DOS. Anyone know what it would take to change at least most of the more modern areas into more modern computers and such? Or would that entail alot of work?

All OS's have command-line interfaces. I would venture to guess that many of the "utility" computers / robots will never have a GUI in order to preserve processing / battery power as well as making it more difficult for the average passer-by to hack / interface with the system.

Let's assume Linux wins the OS war as the primary platform for robotics...most of the functionality must still be done at a command prompt or at least an ascii-like interface.

It all depends upon the purpose of the device and I'd venture to guess that if a computer was used for "surfing the web" and just home-type stuff then it would have an attractive / enticing interface.

LHammonds

well, we could advance into the discussion how the 22nd century's most used OS would look like or how it could come to this, but...

Rakkal and some others (like me) would like to see DC's museum's exhibition information terminals and home computers have Windows-based OS's installed, however. Now throwing out a few questions into the modder community (cover your heads)

1. is it even possible?

2. how hard would it be?

3. anyone up for the job?

It's very easy to believe. Damn near all the computers you encounter are dumb terminals with little to no resources of their own. As for the rest, bearing in mind the diverged World of Tomorrow setting of the Fallout-verse, which intermingles futuristic and anachronistic (to us) elements freely...

It would be interesting to see if it could be done, and it certainly would require an arseload of scripting if it could be, but I'd sure be curious what it would look like. I think it'd take a well-trained eye to make a GUI fit in in a way that's not jarring, not to mention picking out--if possible--which machines get the GUI and which retain the text. I'd download it just to see it for myself, that's for sure. Whether I'd keep it or not, that's another story.

I don't think it's a mod we'll ever see, simply because I suspect it'd involve so much work with little motivation to do it.

I had a thought!

Going on a windows idea, why not make it a color background, and then move the selectable links into like a word file, notepad or EXE. If it's an EXE, make the screen black simulating a DOS screen, white for the notes/word files. That might be doable, but I have no idea how to do that kind of stuff :P

I don't know about you but, computers in the future are unknown in many ways, bu what is predicted and projected as to how they operate is essentially practical in many fields.

Future computers:

1.Highly energy efficient ~ 25 watt usage that can perform 30 times more powerful than a typical modern pc.

2.Ultra thin, being made of superior computer hardware that is the size of a penny.

3.Extremely fast.. (As fast as it can get.)

On the subject of a modern pc, the style of Fallout 3 is supposed to be retro-futuristic in concept. The bombs dropped in 2070 (60 years from now) where the world was made with a style of 50's futurist concepts like light-bulb vacuum robots, and CRT monitors. The game is supposed to be built in the eyes of someone who lives in the 50's and is only known to 50's retro style and future thinking. Of course, in modern society our standards for what is high tech is at a higher magnitude than before.

However, it would not hurt to see a Modernization mod for Fallout 3 where everything gets a complete overhaul to match that of a early 21st century appearance. There are already modernized mods on the Fallout Nexus databas. I have requested before that someone or many compiles a modernization mod effort to make Fallout 3 seem more futuristic. Though it still wouldn't match because our robotics isn't sophisticated like these tin can robots with target identification (Without human selection). Nor is there a hover robot, and Helicopter drones don't qualify as a Mrgutsy.

Someone who put effort into a modernization mod would be greatly rewarded with endorsements and kudos, at least from me.

We need a modernization mod indeed!

fallout 3 was on a different track from our world from roughly the late 1940s, after world war 2 there are basically no real similarities between fallout 3 and our own world in terms of historical events (read the bible). Miniaturisation and the digital age never really occurred to the extent that it occurred in our world, instead their nuclear age lasted longer and they made greater advances in nuclear fission/fusion technology, hence why you have fusion powering pretty much every electrical device in the fallout universe. The fallout universe was just about entering it's own digital age when the war happened, hence why they have that "DOS" and not windows.

I'm not against your mod idea though, just pointing out that it's not our world.