Staff account compromise. What's happened and an apology.

Dark0ne

These things will happen from time to time--reminds me of how many years ago my son once quite unintentionally (eh? of course...;)) sent me an email with nice little worm attached--it was one of those robot replicators that made headlines nationally back then. My A/V program at the time (that was when Norton's still worked pretty well in that department) caught the thing and squashed it immediately, but when I contacted my son about it and he checked he was royally infested--had to do a bottom-up format:c & reinstall exercise (ah, the joys of the old days!)

You guys were on top of things very quickly and squashed it like I squashed that worm so many years ago! Good Job! Can't ask for any better response than that. Yea, the guys with deeper access to the system need to be doubly vigilant against infection on their ends--it can sometimes come from the most unlikely of sources, the devil of it is!

Were you guys able to isolate it to the extent that you could make some good guesses about what it was supposed to do? Think it was just a garden variety "replicate endlessly, everywhere" type of vermin, or maybe something a bit more target specific? The former variety would be a lot more common, certainly.

Again, great job! Thanks for the heads up!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, NMM showed an update to SkyUI earlier. I was too lazy to update though. Dodged a bullet, I did. Thanks for the news and apology accepted. Edited by akkalat85

I'm getting an email claiming to be from Nexus to update to version 0.50.0 with a .zip file included in it. I haven't opened the email itself, only scanned the contents and sender. Something doesn't look right about this email and the sender doesn't appear to have nexusmods attached to their identity aside from the topic name. I don't know if this is legit seeing how I have never received an email from nexusmods to ever update my mod manager. I would like an official response on this before doing anything with the email.

Edit: Ok, seeing the previous posts about this and the corresponding thread. Considering changing my information and creating a new unique password for the Nexus site since it seems rather compromised at the moment and possibly taking some security measures on my computer to see if something is infected.

Edited by Guest

Wow, lucky I didn't download any of those files during that time lol. Condolences to the mod authors who uploaded those mods for having to re-upload those mods.

Is the site still having files removed or something? I have been browsing mods for the last hour or so, and now all the pages, just say "E" at the bottom, with no content aside from the name of the mod and it's screenshots.