Vanity Slots

JangSunHee

I don't know much about modding myself, only what I've picked up from INSTALLING mods, but I actually think I know of a way to do this that would be VERY lore friendly and work well within the mechanics of the game.

I got the idea from T3nd0's Perkus Maximus actually. The idea is instead of adding slots that override the look of armors visually, which could work but I believe it would have to use the games misc slots which would run the risk of messing with mods that add to those, you directly copy and paste the stats from one piece of armor and the visuals from another to create a new third piece of armor. Before I go into what I mean let me briefly talk about the inherent flaws in the available mods I've so far found.

This seems similar to the Transmogrification - Copy Armor Sets mod, but the way in which that seems to work is it copies and pastes the stats onto the original piece of armor which means any NPC you meet with the same armor will have the same benefits. Also it's much less lore friendly, being handled through MCM menus and not in game. Not a flaw for all, but certainly one for many.

It also shares similarities to the Vanity Armors mod, but that mod author SEEMS (correct me if I'm off base) to be hand creating combinations by himself which is extremely slow and means your modded armor wont be showing up anytime soon. Or likely ever. Especially since he's since quit modding as far as I can tell lol. Upside is it's quite lore friendly, being done in game.

Now Perkus Maximus adds a perk to the smithing tree that allows you to create far improved versions of any armor. Vanilla and otherwise. This is because it uses a Skyproc Patcher which is a nifty little java tool that looks through your installed content and creates all the variants required by the mod. It then gives you a patch that you add to the end of your load order. Some people may be seeing where I'm going with this now. I'm proposing a Skyproc Patcher mod which allows you to take the aesthetics from one piece of armor (or weapon, jewelery, ANYTHING really) and the stats from another and craft a third new piece at any forge. The Skyproc Patcher would look through all your installed mods and create variants of every piece of armor so this could be done. What's more is it wouldn't needlessly clutter your smithing inventory because it would only show things which you had the recipe for. Hell it would be really cool if this idea was able to reach T3nd0 himself because I believe it would work well in his smithing perk tree.

Sadly I have absolutely no background in mod creation, or else I would happily tackle this myself, but I think it's a system that would work very well and is demonstrably possible when you look at these three other mods which have done the same things just not aimed at this particular subject.

Edited by SirStylus

It might be possible to equip and override more items than body slots by using the exploit that Anton0028 found when making his mod Animated Dragon Wings. The actual wings in this case is an Art Object, which is attached to a Magic Effect, which is added to the player through drinking potions. Theoretically, the magic effect could be applied to an enchantment, which in turn is applied to a piece of armor that has no body slot determined. The item should be equip-able and the enchantment should apply, adding the dragon wings to the player through an item. If it works with dragon wings, it should work with armor. Getting the armor to override already worn gear may be an issue, and setting up the meshes is definitely beyond me, but it should be possible.

• 5 years later...