Outcast became ticked off...why?

LoneRebel85

Okay, look, I bought FO3 the first week it was released, played it for awhile, then my PC crashed and long story short I just got around to playing it again. So basically this is my first time playing through the entire game and I just started doing the MQ line (125hrs and I just finished Water of Life heh heh)

Anyhow, I had been doing the "Collection" quest with Protector Cassidin at Fort Independence throughout the game, on and off, just I could get inside the fort without them going hostile.

I haven't bothered them in quite some time though but I also haven't done anything to make them hostile. Now, after completing the Water of Life quest I got the distress call from Vault 101 and headed there. Soon as I got to Vault 101 I got ambushed by Outcast! I thought this was strange so I ported over to Fort Independence and sure enough they were all hostile as well. I checked the Vault wiki and it doesn't say anything about the Outcast becoming hostile towards you unless you attack or try to enter the fort.

So yeah, do they become hostile towards you after you gain access to the Citadel? This could make sense to me but I didn't know they would.

The reason they become hostile is because of the rivalry between the Brotherhood and the Outcasts. Towards the end of the main story, Sarah Lyons allows you to join the Lyons Pride team, then a couple of missions later, Elder Lyons promotes you to full Brotherhood Knight. This makes the Outcasts see you as a Brotherhood soldier, an enemy.

EDIT: I originally got these instructions from an article on the wiki.

Remove player from the faction Outcast Enemy: player.removefromfaction 00033089

Clear crimes committed against Outcast parent-faction: clearfactionplayerenemyflag 0001d3ff

Clear crimes committed against Outcast sub-faction: clearfactionplayerenemyflag 00030520

Reset Player-faction and Outcast parent-faction back to allies: setally 0001b2a4 0001d3ff 0 0

Reset Player-faction and Outcast sub-faction back to allies: setally 0001b2a4 00030520 0 0

That's what I was thinking. But I haven't actually become an official member of the BoS, and I haven't done anything that you mentioned like being inducted into Lyon's Pride or Elder's accepting me into BoS as an official member. That's what made it seem strange. I guess after completing Water of Life quest the game just sets your alliance with the BoS faction, huh?

But no big deal really. I guess I can just fight my way into Fort Independence later if I get the urge.

• 2 weeks later...
The reason they become hostile is because of the rivalry between the Brotherhood and the Outcasts. Towards the end of the main story, Sarah Lyons allows you to join the Lyons Pride team, then a couple of missions later, Elder Lyons promotes you to full Brotherhood Knight. This makes the Outcasts see you as a Brotherhood soldier, an enemy.

EDIT: I originally got these instructions from an article on the wiki.

Remove player from the faction Outcast Enemy: player.removefromfaction 00033089

Clear crimes committed against Outcast parent-faction: clearfactionplayerenemyflag 0001d3ff

Clear crimes committed against Outcast sub-faction: clearfactionplayerenemyflag 00030520

Reset Player-faction and Outcast parent-faction back to allies: setally 0001b2a4 0001d3ff 0 0

Reset Player-faction and Outcast sub-faction back to allies: setally 0001b2a4 00030520 0 0

WoogieMonster has the right answer. Having karma no matter high or low will not affect the outcasts. Even if they did turn hostile and attack you if they witness a crime made by you, they should go back to normal in a few days.

I am both Lyon's Pride member and a Knight of Steel and the Outcasts never become hostile towards me. I'm constantly trading in power armor to Casdin for ammo and they have never turned on me. Maybe your Karma is too low, have you been killing innocents and stealing stuff?

According to the wiki, they are not hostile to you because you've been trading with them.

If the player is caught trying to enter their base or killing Protector Henry Casdin , the Outcasts will become hostile, unless the player has delivered enough technology to them to be considered a friend.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Brotherhood_Outcasts