Another note on site security, your security, and a malware email doing the rounds

Dark0ne

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #15571860. #15573005 is also a reply to the same post.

I got the email on 6/10/14. The link in the email directed me not to an outside source but to the nexus mod page. So I figured it was safe. The installer was signed by black tree gaming. It said that I had to uninstall current version to update, did and then I had some issue with system instability shortly afterward. A virus scan today identified the trojan. THE LINK WAS TO THE OFFICIAL DOWNLOAD PAGE SO I THIN THE OFFICIAL FILES MAY BE CORRUPTED.

*EDIT* THE LINK TAKES YOU TO A FAKE SITE THAT ASKS YOU TO LOG IN. IT THEN REDIRECTS YOU TO THE OFFICIAL SITE. SO IT MAY BE JSUT TRYING TO GET YOUR LOGIN INFO? Edited by rwillia157

In response to post #15571860. #15573005, #15579840, #15580350 are all replies on the same post.

its a phisher that steals your username and password if you logged in then change you account password as soon as possible because your account is at risk!

one thing that i wonder is why are some people getting emails while others arent? cause i havent gotten any emails about NMM or from "nexus sites" i guess its a good thing for me but this could also mean the hackers are targeting people (possibly people with lots of mods in there name or admins idk but everyone be careful so this can stop spreading) Edited by SpaceCoder

In response to post #15571860. #15573005, #15579840, #15580325 are all replies on the same post.

If the download was actually on nexusmods.com, and it's signed to Black Tree Gaming Ltd., and no one else is reporting this issue (considering NMM is downloaded thousands of times a day) you can safely assume it wasn't NMM that did anything wrong to your PC.

Maybe someone got banned, and decided to hack the site, either themselves or from hired help (if those are the right words to use), to get payback, and/or to gain access to downloading again, since non-members can't really download much. Maybe an IP ban list is in order, to block certain banned members from doing this sort of stuff (if thats whats going on, of course)?

In response to post #15580615.

It is unlikely that someone would go to these lengths for revenge. More likely, it became apparent to a cyber criminal that nexus could be a valuable target due to the size of its audience and users trust of file downloads. By planting viruses on the site, they could infect computers with malware/spyware that could attempt to steal sensitive information from your computer and online activity.