Another note on site security, your security, and a malware email doing the rounds

Dark0ne

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, a big "Thank You" to the staff of Black Tree Gaming for not only staying on top of situations like this to contain damage, but also letting us know up front what happened right away.

So many corporations just do not understand (even though we are well into the second decade of "social media" ) that silence is more damaging to their public reputations than admitting that something went wrong. They still live in the priorities of the previous century that mandated: " Don't say anything! Get the situation under control first!" Unfortunately, this corporate mantra doesn't fly in present day social and mass media. It simply results in customer base anger and distrust. Just look at the reaction to the way Sony handled the Playstation Network hack fiasco.

So, Thank You again guys. You may have to wade through the drek and quagmire for us, but know that we really appreciate your efforts to keep us informed and safe.

Edited by LeddBate

Thanks for your transparency about this.

I gotta be honest, the number of Nexus users that have never been to the forums and have no idea where to find the password reset page is probably a huge percentage of users. It might not be a bad idea to add a link from the user profiles (rather than the forum profiles). Right now, a casual/infrequent user of these sites is very likely to just give up and leave their old password because they wouldn't think to check the forums or can't find where to change this setting.

should post a link to password reset to be safe for all new users.

ALSO

can you say specifically how many attacks theres been or if its mostly in a specific gaming section "borderlands, cod, skyrim, oblivion or etc?)

3rdly.

files should be scanned for virus or worms and buggys when people upload.

4thly when someone uploads a "mod" or anything NOT pictures but any type of mod people upload or saved game they should have to enter in a random number or say what the picture is in words below (captcha)

idk if any of this is already implemented since i have never uploaded stuff to nexus only downloaded O.o

anyways thanks for the update please keep us posted :)

In response to post #15515910. #15516205, #15520770, #15523705 are all replies on the same post.

That allows you to change your preferred region but not to go back to the old way of choosing the specific server you want to use. I don't mind that, but the problem is that some of the servers are incredibly slow even when they're not being used by a lot of people. For instance I just went to download a file that was 25,407kb in size. The first server it selected for me said it was going to take 13 mins to download. I waited about a minute to see if the download would speed up, and when it didn't I canceled it and started the download again. The next server it selected only took 2 mins.

Thank you to the staff for keeping us up to date on what's happening and warning us very quickly about possible threats. I wish more sites were as responsible.

Looks like the person uploaded keylogging and rootkit programs. If that's the case I'd recommend people who downloaded infected files to reformat your computer. Yes that means wiping everything clean and reinstalling the OS. Keylogging and rootkits are extremely difficult to find, your anti spyware and virus protection software will not be able to find it. Keyloggers will have access to all of your information that you have typed, so not just your email accounts. If you are a person who stores a lot of information online, than I will suggest you to reformat your computer.