Would this be considered a good gaming pc?

Zediious

I've been running this setup for about a year now, and I think it runs pretty well. I just want other peoples opinions on it. Here are the specs

Motherboard: ASUSTeK G750JW

CPU: Intel i7 4700HQ Quad-Core

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765m 2GB

Memory: 8GB DDR3

This is not just for Skyrim, but any game, Is this a good rig overall?

I don't really understand why you're asking this. You have run this rig yourself for a year, you precisely know what it's capable of and it's not like you mentioned upgrading. If you're happy with it, there is no need for that. It's good for a laptop. 4700HQ quad is efficient enough. Gpu could have been 780m, but you will have to live with it.

For huge performance boost you should get 1.500-2.000$ desktop rig, with parts designed for overclocking.

I know it is a good rig. I just want opinions on what could be changed, etc.

You named the title "Is this considered a good gaming PC?"

Then asked in the opening post "This is not just for Skyrim, but any game, is this a good rig overall?"

Yes, it is a good pc.

And about the new question you are posting, about what to change... I honestly wouldn't change anything in it... it's good enough on the way it is right now.

Edited by CookieDynamics

And about the new question you are posting, about what to change... I honestly wouldn't change anything in it... it's good enough on the way it is right now.

He can't really change anything. It's a laptop not desktop. He would have to buy used gpu from a broken laptop and gamble on compatibility. Usually it's easier and cheaper to sell old one in order buy new model.

He can't really change anything. It's a laptop not desktop. He would have to buy used gpu from a broken laptop and gamble on compatibility. Usually it's easier and cheaper to sell old one in order buy new model.

"Usually it's easier and cheaper to sell old one in order buy new model." I definitely agree with you.

I would just like to add, however, that even though I'm not a fan of laptops, the last one I bought (about 5 years ago or so) had a list of compatible GPU / CPU at the "support page"... and an open slot for a new HD .

I'm almost sure that GPU/CPU list was more like a "Ok, you didn't buy the highest setting laptop possible, but you may want to upgrade it a little towards our top-tier model by purchasing the following hardware". So , in a way, I wouldn't be able to upgrade my "2009" laptop into a "2014 version"....but rather only from "2009 midtier" to "2009 toptier".

So, even though there is a margin for upgrade, I agree with you that it's a lot more narrow and expensive when compared to desktops.

Edited by CookieDynamics

"Usually it's easier and cheaper to sell old one in order buy new model." I definitely agree with you.

I would just like to add, however, that even though I'm not a fan of laptops, the last one I bought (about 5 years ago or so) had a list of compatible GPU / CPU at the "support page"... and an open slot for a new HD .

I'm almost sure that GPU/CPU list was more like a "Ok, you didn't buy the highest setting laptop possible, but you may want to upgrade it a little towards our top-tier model by purchasing the following hardware". So , in a way, I wouldn't be able to upgrade my "2009" laptop into a "2014 version"....but rather only from "2009 midtier" to "2009 toptier".

So, even though there is a margin for upgrade, I agree with you that it's a lot more narrow and expensive when compared to desktops.

It's never a problem with ssd, hdd or ram if there is a free slot (I have replaced those myself). The issue is with purchasing compatible gpu. It's not like you can go to nearby tech story, buy it and replace like with desktop. I got custom cpu in my laptop, but that's only because xoticpc has arrangements with manufacturers. Gpu's are always locked to the laptop model they sell. In case of upgrading parts you are responsible for shipping whole machine to their service yourself, including insurance and taxes. When replacing cpu you might end up buying new power brick. Total cost will most likely be not worth investing in used machine.

You might not have considered it, but the most issues laptops have are with drivers and bios. If you don't have a set up that receives updates fairly often you will curse it each time you want to run new program/game/peripherals.

Edited by BlackRoseOfThorns