Mod Suspended; questions

marthgun

I uploaded a tutorial and just added a text file for people to download if they wanted to endorse; apparently thats against the rules, but in the wall of text that popped up it said something about uploading a file before i put the mod back up.

the tutorial are youtube videos, what exactly am i supposed to upload?

i want to make sure i dont have to go through 15 pages to upload the tutorial

Either upload a copy of the video itself directly or a text version of he tutorial, or use the video share section.

Quite on the contrary even you will find increasingly more visitors to your file pages inside the Video category trying to very impolitely tell you how much it doesn't belong into there but into the new Video Share instead.

The new feature on the file sites was introduced only some months ago in a huge news article with a lot of comments, but already we've had an abundance of reports regarding either the wrong categorization of a totally valid video file upload inside the Video category instead of just linking to the lesser-quality YouTube video in the new Video Share, or the 'people' all so impolitely telling the author about his mistake and 'demanding' its removal.

Needless to say the latter in regards to a valid video file upload page simply constitues trolling and is a bannable offence, if reported. The first is just ignored in most cases. But the mob squad is out there and only waiting to swarm the next video file page not made in the new Video Share instead. So it's safe to say your last line (sadly) doesn't hold water by far, and rather the opposite is the case.

Basically either add your video as an upload to the file database or add your video as a link to your YouTube video in the Video Share, but don't add a file page that only links to your YouTube page (or similar online video service) in the file database because it doesn't belong there. The file database is just that, a file database. If you want to showcase a video that you don't want to upload here then use the video share.

its just bizarre i've seen old tutorials on here with out any files to download. just written text on the main page.

all this talk about banning is unnecessary, why would i get banned for uploading a tutorial? You dont want it in the file page, that's fine, would you please direct me to where this video share thing is?

The Video Share is in the Videos menu at the top of the main Nexus pages.

Oh lol silly me, there it is, i just clicked on it and saw the giant button that says UPLOAD VIDEOS HERE.

can't believe i missed that

edit: i mean ADD Videos, its been a long day. I seriously didn't see that videos tab at the top of the page;

maybe you should add a note to the files upload section because i wouldn't have put the video there if i had known there was a videos section

Edited by marthgun

its just bizarre i've seen old tutorials on here with out any files to download. just written text on the main page.

The saying goes "Only because you see others did it and got away with it doesn't mean it's allowed. It simply means we haven't been informed about it, yet."

all this talk about banning is unnecessary, why would i get banned for uploading a tutorial? You dont want it in the file page, that's fine, would you please direct me to where this video share thing is?

I was the only one talking about banning, and it was about banning the trolls coming into a valid file page with a video file "upload" and impolitely informing the author it didn't belong into the files but into the Video Share instead. Those risk their accounts, not You. It was rather aimed at not-so-innocent eavesdroppers stumbling into here as sort of a warning than at You.

Nobody will be banned for creating a file page for a tutorial and only linking to a YouTube video without any file uploads or mirrors at all. The only thing that will happen is the removal of the file page, and maybe a warning, if it's done repeatedly or not for the first time.

It was just your blanket statement that nobody ever heard of Video Share and that linking it from there would mean the same as not posting it which I aimed to correct. Quite on the contrary many people definitely know about the new Video Share, and we know they know, because some of them made it their own little crusade to shortly after its public announcement go around and tell every video file uploader that he should've used the Video Share section instead, while uploading a high-ql video file here definitely isn't the same as linking to a lower-ql YouTube page instead, and some even tried to involve staff into their 'rightful' war, needless to say, in vain, of course.

'We' (whoever that is) want tutorials in the file page as much as everything else. It just has to have an actual 'file' to download or linked to, or it won't be a valid 'file' entry. :thumbsup:

As you found the Video Share now it's definitely better situated for your tutorial video links than an empty file page without files. Hopefully in the near future the video links will also be as comfortable to browse as the files are now and will give them the same exposure a file page would.