ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Noble Wedding Dress/Shinglescat's retexture replacer mod

Katy420

I LOVE Urshi's Noble Wedding Dress mod, and ShinglesCat's retexture. But the dragonborn doesn't wear dresses :( Also as beautiful as they are they predictably have clipping issues when running. So they aren't really practical to -wear-. Sure you can put them on your wives and mannequins but I really wanted to see more of them in game, especially on (young) noble female npcs, who just sit/stand/walk where clipping would be nil. And the fine clothes/female jarl clothes are SO UGLY on anyone not a million years old (has bothered me since I first saw them). It seems born to be a replacer.

So I commented to both authors about it because I'm so n00b. They're both busy (stupid RL, I hate you!), but Shinglescat says it's easy to make a replacer and you can probably do it yourself in a few minutes.

I've only messed with TES5Edit and Wrye Bash to "help out" with existing mods, usually just to tweak one or two files. But since it's supposed to be so "easy" I figured this was a good place to start getting my feet wet trying to make my first mod in CK. I was wrong :( It seems way harder than any tutorial on the subject, I keep running into problems. I only wanted them on certain NPCs (I like the jarl's clothes/fine clothes on the older women, plus it's nice for variety), so I'm just going in and editing their outfits individually. Should be easy. I've been using Elisif as a guinea pig (Is that a bad idea or something?), and either she's naked, I get immediate CTD on entering the cell, or I have black textures (yes I DO have the right texture files there, they just don't show up). My keyboard will break if I smack it again :(

If anyone who is not so n00b wants to pick up the idea, my endorsement and eternal gratitude are waiting for you :) Since it's so "simple" anyone can do it but me. Why isn't there already a mod like this??

In theory, this should be a very easy thing to do. If you use the data from the clothing mod's ESP files, you should be able to simply swap the outfits of the characters over to an outfit created for the dress. Keep in mind that unlike previous TES games, Skyrim requires you to create an Outfit item, put the clothing in that item, then assign it. In previous games, you could just put the clothing directly in their inventory; it doesn't work like that in Skyrim.

As for testing; my advice would be to make sure you use a clean save and don't intend to keep using that test mod. When I want to learn something different, I tend to create a test file, do all the testing in there, and when I'm comfortable with it, I then repeat the process in the main mod file.

Yeah, when she was naked I figured out it was because I had messed up "assigning" it.... But now that I have that down the damn black textures showed up just to smack me in the face. Lol, I was like "screw it, you're not cut out for this, to the request forum we go!" If I can't get it right on ONE, sheesh. How long is it gonna take me to stumble through ALL of them. Ugh.

I'll probably give it another go later. But right now it's just frustrating. And annoying since it SHOULD be so easy (I could make small mods like this in Oblivion no problem :confused:-- Just take the files from the mod in question, copy them over, done, MAYBE rename some stuff, right?), not sure why I am running into this problem. For testing I'm using a quick start mod (which I don't use in a real playthrough because it messes the later game up), maybe that's screwing with it? And I'm not even using a save, I'm starting fresh every time. Meh. I'm only moderately interested in getting into modding Skyrim, I won't have time for anything when summer ends (I take a lot of classes) and don't really need another gaming addiction :smile: Really I just thought it would be a good introduction to CK, which is new to me, help me better understand my mods. But it's not as easy as I thought. (EDIT: still having texture issues :mad: Just a different flavor of crap. So done for the day)

So if it's really *that* easy to make one of these for an experienced user, maybe some bored modder (lol, I know they're all busy) who's CK literate can take it and go with it. Urshi and ShinglesCat seem fine with it, but busy with other stuff.

Edited by Katy420

Shouldn't this just be a matter of copying and renaming meshes so they'd be the same as vanilla dresses, and placing them in the proper directories? Maybe I'll try out later and see how it goes.

Edited by Jokerine

Lol, yes, it SHOULD be that easy :( I think it must be one of my mods, I didn't want to like.... disable everything but the unofficial patches or anything, just to make such a seemingly small and simple mod. I don't run a ton, my CPU can't handle dem hawt grafix mods or anything. But I run quite few (~150-170), and I do have a few that modify armor/clothing, immersive armors comes to mind, and the vanilla armor CBBE conversion. Does it edit female jarl's clothes? IDK, I'm eye crossingly frustrated with it right now. :wallbash:

Maybe some other time I'll snoop in my mod list and see what's causing it. Or maybe I have a bad CK download and ought to try redownloading, I hear it's buggy, right. This is annoyingly frustrating, I kind of want to figure it out on principal now.

Meanwhile, request stands and you would be my hero if you did look into it :cool:

I'll work on it tonight and get back at you later.

EDIT: I gave it a try, and it works, but since the game reuses some meshes and gives them new textures through the CK, a simple mesh replacer works but the textures get warped in the color variants, so an .esp would definitively be needed. I could do it if you're extremely desperate, although it's kind of a hassle to do this kinda thing :laugh:

Edited by Jokerine

I'll work on it tonight and get back at you later.

EDIT: I gave it a try, and it works, but since the game reuses some meshes and gives them new textures through the CK, a simple mesh replacer works but the textures get warped in the color variants, so an .esp would definitively be needed. I could do it if you're extremely desperate, although it's kind of a hassle to do this kinda thing :laugh:

Lol, well how "desperate" can you really be for a mod.... (OK, really desperate, I know) Yeah I think I'm there. I'm not averse to learning, but sheesh that is not what I thought I was getting myself into. I mean, amiright? This used to be a lot easier in Oblivion :ermm: Especially such a simple mod. Am I retarded or what??

I'm sure by blind luck and googling eventually I'll figure it out. But how long is eventually? How much fiddling is worth seeing dresses instead of horse blankets on rich NPCs? That's kind of why I was putting the post in "mod requests" :) I think I may be out of my league, judging by the number of problems I'm having. I know, it's sad to have this mod out of your league.... But for me, eh. I guess I'm just that n00b! Anyways, I know I'm not the only one who wants it. I would feel weird imposing, like asking for a specific mod. But if anyone reads it and thinks it's a good idea please do it!

Honestly, I really don't get why this wasn't like one of the first mods for Skyrim-- better noble female NPC clothes that is.

Anyways yes I've reDLed the CK, looked through my armor mods, and everything else I could think of since posting that. But I still fail :( Either black or purple textures. I think Skyrim modding might be too much for me.

If it's black/purple textures, then I'd wager it's either something to do with the models (not being in the right place, not having appropriate textures assigned, etc.) or something within the CK making it not work, such as not assigning the model to the item data properly.

I may have a look at it myself sometime soon.

It's not, it's because the noble variants use their own texturesets instead of meshes, so the game is forcing the textures (made to fit the vanilla meshes) into the new meshes. Of course, it does not fit, and the textures come out all distorted.