Site updates: stability, premium donations, endorsements, downloading, apostrophes and full-stops

Dark0ne

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #15832705.

I mean no offence, but you're making this comment on the very news article in which it states this:

We've changed the way we serve manual downloads to you via the pop-up. While before when you went to download a file manually you would be presented with a list of file servers to choose from we are now moving to a quicker, more automated system that will pick the least over-loaded server from a geographic location you've specified in your preferences. If you haven't specified your preferred location then the first time you go to download a file you'll be asked to pick one.

We're monitoring this system closely to ensure it's working properly. If you set the wrong location when the system first asks you, or if you want to change locations for any reason, you can do so from your preferences area.

It's slightly ironic as it says right here, in this front-page news post, what's happened and how you can sort it out!

In response to post #15832035.

Never ever working properly? It's been working fine for quite a while now, and then the Steam sale comes along and doubles our traffic and quadruples the number of concurrent downloads. Our system can handle plenty of slack, but the file servers can't handle a four-fold increase in download traffic. Which is why it hasn't been nice this weekend.

Thank you so much for all the time and effort that you have put into giving us this information.

The only problem that I have, is if I go to try a mod, and then go to download another mod that is a manual download, it will not let me download the manual mod until I endorse the other 2 or 3 that I tried and did not like. Hope that made sense.

I do not feel comfortable endorsing a mod that I did not like and only used for about 5 / 8 minutes. Hope that made sense also.

Ashley

Edited by ashleyclark

Can't say I'm very thrilled with this latest change. Now, being unable to select a server to download from, means that roughly half my download attempts time out with the Google "oops, did you mean nexus blah blah..." error message. The only way I have managed to get these downloads it to go into my preferences every time and temporarily switch to the Eastern European servers until the download starts, then swap back to good old USA. Now, the nexus sites are awesome, but the Skyrim Nexus has always been unstable and glitchy as hell. A few weeks of stability with you all patting yourselves on the back does not change the years of verifiable instability. I understand the legitimacy of your excuses, but they are excuses. All popular high-traffic websites have had to deal with similar problems, your not unique in that regard. As I said before, the website is still awesome, so I will just grin and bear this latest round of Nexus glitches, and keep coming back for more awesome user created mods. Edited by darkfrost5

Generally I do my downloads via the manual way and then pick them up via NMM. It's just the safer and essentially faster way. The new system of getting them from a random server works fine for me.

I'm pleased with it.

Also with the Endorsement reminder. Still I have my selection of what I want to endorse and what not. But it really made me startled to see how many well done mods I simply forgot to endorse. :blush:

Edited by EMS60

This is probably not a right place to report issues, but since it is related to this update...

The reminder which show up during preparation of download is telling me to endorse files which I have already endorsed. And I still cannot omit from download history mods for which author has disabled ratings, in spite of it was said that it was fixed. Apart from that I think the reminder works as it should because I already gave 1,541 endorsements just to shut it off ;) (don't be mistaken, I gave about 900 endorsements prior to this).

It would also be nice if the reminder was showing the game for which the mod is, to make it easier to find.

Edited by starfis