Fallout: New Vegas Info!!!

DirTek

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You only need to be online to install. After that you could unplug for all it cares.

Steam is annoying, but it's not nearly as bad as some of the alternatives. I just hope it doesn't make things like FOMM and FOSE impossible. The Steam version of Fallout 3 didn't, so I think it's unlikely.

I recently installed Steam when during the free Portal thing. It can fairly easily be made unobtrusive.

For lazy people, here's the relevant bit:

What does Steamworks mean to you? Senior producer Jason Bergman explains:

"Fallout: New Vegas uses Steamworks for achievements and other features (such as friends lists, cloud storage of user preferences and so on). Use of Steam will be mandatory at retail. So what does that mean? We’ve implemented Steamworks in as light and unobtrusive a way as possible. Yes, you will have to install Steam when you install Fallout: New Vegas if you don’t already have it. And yes, you will have to be online at the time of that initial install. However you can install the game on as many systems as you want (with no restrictions!), and you do not have to be online to play the game after your initial activation. Not only that, but once the game has activated on Steam, you can throw out the game DVD entirely and just download the game over Steam. If you don’t even have a DVD drive, you can just take the CD-Key from the box, enter it into Steam, and download it without ever using the disc at all.

For those concerned, this will have no affect on mod development whatsoever. Modders will still be able to create and distribute their plugins the same way they have in the past.

We made the decision to use Steam after looking at all the various options out there and decided that it provided the best, least intrusive experience for PC gamers. We think you’ll agree."

You only need to be online to install. After that you could unplug for all it cares.

Steam is annoying, but it's not nearly as bad as some of the alternatives. I just hope it doesn't make things like FOMM and FOSE impossible. The Steam version of Fallout 3 didn't, so I think it's unlikely.

I recently installed Steam when during the free Portal thing. It can fairly easily be made unobtrusive.

For lazy people, here's the relevant bit:

What does Steamworks mean to you? Senior producer Jason Bergman explains:

"Fallout: New Vegas uses Steamworks for achievements and other features (such as friends lists, cloud storage of user preferences and so on). Use of Steam will be mandatory at retail. So what does that mean? We’ve implemented Steamworks in as light and unobtrusive a way as possible. Yes, you will have to install Steam when you install Fallout: New Vegas if you don’t already have it. And yes, you will have to be online at the time of that initial install. However you can install the game on as many systems as you want (with no restrictions!), and you do not have to be online to play the game after your initial activation. Not only that, but once the game has activated on Steam, you can throw out the game DVD entirely and just download the game over Steam. If you don’t even have a DVD drive, you can just take the CD-Key from the box, enter it into Steam, and download it without ever using the disc at all.

For those concerned, this will have no affect on mod development whatsoever. Modders will still be able to create and distribute their plugins the same way they have in the past.

We made the decision to use Steam after looking at all the various options out there and decided that it provided the best, least intrusive experience for PC gamers. We think you’ll agree."

yeah I read that but with steam involved does that mean we lose the ability to choose which version we want to use? like if one patch really messes up New Vegas will I be able to rollback to a pre-borked patch?

yeah I read that but with steam involved does that mean we lose the ability to choose which version we want to use? like if one patch really messes up New Vegas will I be able to rollback to a pre-borked patch?

If my experience with Garry's Mod is anything to go by, not easily.

I didn'i read the 4 pages between this and the OP but the "Big gun with backpack" is the new gernade launcher minigun >=)

Also, hard core will make the game so much better, and the NRC ranger is a quest giver to get revenge on some one who killed his wife i think. once you do it, he joins you and he is a sniper =D

What are the alternatives to Steam that could be worse? It's one of the most irritating things installed involuntarily on my computer, topped only by Warden and SecuROM.

As for the graphics: I don't think they really matter all that much. I played through Half Life recently, which was so old that you could play 'count the pixels' on the walls. It still was the most fun I had that year, because it was innovative and showed something new in FPS games other than the usual plot that FPS games have: "Point the gun at enemy, press mouse to kill it."

If Bethesda manages to do that, they'd have a winner, regardless of graphics. Although if they do include modding, I have no doubt that within a week a graphics extender would be released by the community.

What could be worse? Let's see:

1. Beth tries to make their own home-brew version and fails badly. Steam is NOT that bad. Seriously.

2. Ubisoft's you-must-be-online-OR-ELSE DRM.... which if they went with that I'd absolutely refuse to buy New Vegas and urge everyone I know to avoid it as well.

3. Direct2Drive is worse -- FOSE doesn't work with it.

4. StarDock's content delivery system is said to be worse than Steam, though I haven't experienced it personally. I bought GalCiv II to support their decision not to use invasive DRM but never got around to installing it. XD

Hmm.. I wonder how someone else could give your their pip-boy. From the two times in the game I've seen info about them being removed, they can't. "Garry!" comes to mind from Anchorage.

They can be removed, but not easily. If they couldn't, vaults would run out of them. :wink: Also, remember what that one guy said about getting them off the old folks.

4. StarDock's content delivery system is said to be worse than Steam, though I haven't experienced it personally. I bought GalCiv II to support their decision not to use invasive DRM but never got around to installing it. XD

I've tried Impulse (the content system you were describing), and I thought the client was fairly rubbish. However, you don't need to open the client to launch your game, which seems to be its unique selling point (despite the likes of Gamersgate doing something similar).