What game would you design!

LordWushin

Lately friends have told me about games that they would design and would play. Games that they would play instantly also was a big one.

In this thread give ideas for good games or show enthusiasm for game you cant wait to come out.

First I absolutely cannot wait for elder scroll 5 to come out. For some strange reason I keep finding myself saying that it will just blow my mind and fulfill my deepest gaming desires. :) I just hold my breathe!

As for a new idea for a game I will wait for some reply posts before I realize myself further!

Let your imagenation run free!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would need to make several, as no one game can possibly be all things at all times even to just one person. You wouldn't load up Mass Effect when you're just in the mood for the cathartic pleasure of mindless mayhem, now would you? No, you'd load up Saint's Row 2 (beats GTA by far) or Painkiller, or even the Ur-example of mindless mayhem, the granddaddy of em all: DOOM.

I'll expand later... it's time to sleep now.

I'd make a Steampunk RPG, with primitive firearms and airships(dirigible airships, not like the ones in Final Fantasy). World Of Warcraft has done this to some extent. As for as sequels go, I wouldn't mind seeing another Xenogears/Xenosaga title. I would very much like to see a Spelljammer title come out(D&D in space, woot!). To me, it seems like modern gaming technology can exploit a lot of concepts, but don't.

The cost involved in bringing out an entirely new game are astronomical (to coin a cliche) The big name companies will beat an old concept to death rather than do something completely new that may flop. I would like to see something like spelljammer also. But it may require reworking a game engine to handle the 3 dimensional combat that would be needed to make it work properly.

There are several open source game engines out there that show some promise for indie developers, OGRE for one. But they are still in the development phase and you need a degree in programming to do much with them. I hope they get simplified enough soon for the average modder to use soon though. Once they have a viable game made on one, I expect the popularity to take off. An open source Oblivion type world would be nice. If it is truly modular, you could have a Fallout type world, a Space war type game, and many others. The biggest hurdle will be that too many of the developers want to make MMO type games - which are not good for modding and will require a server somewhere to play. If they would concentrate on single player first, get that working well, then move it into MMO it would work better. You cant run before you walk.

A realistic role playing game. Probably set in a current or made up future war. You would be a mercenary, and could choose what nation to side with, or whether you want to fight for all sides. But it would be free-roaming, and set in Scotland. There would be huge battles in the highlands and you could stealth through the trees or you could attack in tanks. You could create any character you wanted. You could make a merchant and have people fight for you by buying Mercs or you could be a one man army. Or a sniper. Or a spy. Or a pilot. ANYTHING.

Also, it would be open ended and have vehicles and it would be completely moddable. And there would be a co-op online mode. And there would be DLC. And there would be a CS. And etc etc...

They already made it. It's called Battlefield 1942

For years, I wanted the ability to fight on foot using various classes of soldier/support, drive vehicles/aircraft/watercraft, lay ambushes, setup defensive lines, attack strongholds, coordinate using in-game communication systems, online or offline, etc.

Battlefield 1942 was the 1st game that brought all of that together in a nice, tight package.

Of course, it could be improved upon (such as that Modern Warfare mod that added new tanks, helos and jets) but it was still a very satisfying game platform. I glad it was popular and took off with future iterations and spawning alternatives (Star Wars Battlefront).

Now we just to move it up a notch...kinda like what Savage tried to do where you can play at various levels...as a foot soldier, squad leader, battalion commander, strategy general and financiers (iPhone text-only support players!)

Play it as a 1st person shooter, RTS or just an MMO resource management game...but all in the same worldspace.

LHammonds

EDIT: To jaysus' point below, Mass Effect hints to that kind of direction with critical decisions that affect the storyline later...even in future versions of the game! My buddy at work is playing through the game as a total paragon and trying to imitate what commander Sheridan (from Babalon 5) would do. The next time he plays through it, he will do a WWKD...what would Kirk do...most decisions ending up in the paragon side but still with a cowboy flare.

all good and fine,

however what games are imo still missing is what movies achieved since their early days, namely social critique, mental experiments aka art, stuff that makes you really think and not just grind or follow stupid tasks, games that open your mind to new points of view

few questlines actually do such things but it aint fullfilling yet as i see it

atm games are mostly really just time killers, they are good at that but i want more, let the joy of playing enable the user to learn, to experiment and to create, let them grow their abilities and not just hand eye coordination, strategy and how an m16 looks like...