GECK landscape editing; WACOM tablet suport?

SayinNuthin

Hey SN!

The way I used to set EXEs to Large Address Aware was to use this:

CFF EXPLORER

It allows you to jump in and change the File Header to "App Can Handle >2gb address space".

1 - Install CFF

2 - Allow it to integrate into right-mouse menu

3 - Right click on GECK.EXE and select OPEN WITH CFF EXPLORER

4 - Once CFF is open, in the LEFT column, select FILE HEADER

5 - That will display a table in the RIGHT column, from which you find CHARACTERISTICS

6 - In the CHARACTERISTCS -> MEANING, you'll see CLICK HERE

7 - So... CLICK it!

8 - That opens another window which reveals the APP CAN HANDLE >2GB ADDRESS SPACE. Go ahead and enable that.

9 - Hit okay, close it out and CFF will ask if you'd like to SAVE.

10 - Sure you do! SAVE and either overwrite or make another as you like. I usually overwrite.

In theory, GECK.EXE is now Large Address Aware.

The mod you're thinking of is the GECK POWERUP - A FORK. I used it all the time with no issues, but that's up to you - as there is some logic in not "changing" tools midway through a mod. I do think, to use your analogy, that you are about 1.5 feet off the ground and using the Powerup is safe.

Go get 'em!

- David

There is no downside using the CFF method, just backup your program before you fiddle with it.

The GECK is a buggy piece of crap, it always crashes if you mess with Navmeshes or Landscape. It wasn't designed with the sturdiness of the game's dev-kit. It doesn't save any bugs or glitches into your mod, it just likes crashing. It'll even crash while saving, but save your file without error (sometimes, most of the time it doesn't save it, but never has saved it with errors). Making it 4GB aware does a lot for it, it'll last longer without crashing, as it sucks up a lot of memory just loading itself and the files.

Make sure you get the Powerup for the GECK, you can't go wrong, especially if you plan on scripting.

I'll certainly give this CFF trick a go,

http://static.rogerebert.com/redactor_assets/pictures/52b9359696d0e7ee3500003a/still-of-sam-shepard-in-the-right-stuff-large-picture-1600x799.jpg

I've crashed in the desert more times than Chuck Yeager by now...

Update. Huge improvement with the CFF device. I haven't tried the paths yet but the Landscape tools crash-on-exit seems to have been dramatically reduced.

Nice one, thanks everyone.

Edited by SayinNuthin

Better to recycle this thread for another quick question than start another?

Region Editor- Object Tab - Sink Variance "Specifies the range, in units, for which to modulate the Sink value" etc.etc. And the link take you to the Units page. Which explains the difference but doesn't tell you WHICH units, 'Height-Map' or 'In-Game' the Region Editor is using...

And anyone can tell me that might be able to tell me where is zero (in either) because some random level low ground comes out at around Z >> 5000 plus in game units. And as I'm attempting to use Landscape-Textures with the Regions / Objects tools, and as half the Object tools don't function for textures, then the precise height becomes a biggie for making terrain effects.

I particularly like this from the Bethsoft page on Units;

"Also, the game seems to round height values down to the nearest 4 units, so this gives a vertical resolution of 5.7cm (2.25 inches). But when you load your terrain into the game, it seems to scale the height by 2"

Seems??? Don't you know then, your writing the damned book! :confused:

Thanks to everyone for the help so far. The CFF trick has made a 60 or 70% improvement in overall stability.

Edited by SayinNuthin

To answer my previous (in case anyone was actually interested) Z >> 0.000 is going to be around a 150 units below the basemesh's lowest point which corresponds to Badwater Basin, Death Valley which is not far off the west of the Pb map around latitude +20 or so.

Next question(s), 1st, why is the region outline tool going all squiffy when you try to make 250 cell plus regions, the line disappears and the map wont zoom in or out.? The rest of it is fine, close the region tool and it's business as usual, so is there a hard limit I haven't come across in the reference material.

2nd can I save or export my lovely 'DPat-landscaped' region settings (that I've worked so hard on), throw the current .esp away, then import the regions as some form of preset to an earlier version of the .esp? Or if I ditch the .esp all my latest breakthroughs have gone with it?

Bethsoft's GECK guide refers you to a non-existent TES4 CK page on the 'Export' functions..