Animal Manslaughter?

species5478

@Trandoshan

Hey bro, I can't continue this in good faith. Seems the lone voice of dissension isn't welcome here and when that happens it is no longer a debate but a pep rally for one side. I've enjoyed bantering with you and maybe we can cross swords in another debate.....

....and as a parting shot to you, "Animal Manslaughter?, Should Owners Be Charged?"

YES they should. :P

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's understandable ms. maad, debates like these go off topic because it isn't a real debate. Since we're already waaaay off topic, it would be best to debate something else that relates more to the subject. By no means am I attempting to curtail your authority, but as it stands nothing is really getting debated here other than the debate on what is or is not a debate. Which is a good debate no doubt, but it truly is hindering the debate.... yes....

I think you said it best....

On that point it's nearly a unanimous consensus.

So then where do we go? Do we continue the fight, move on to something more interesting... or is it safe to say that this thread needs to be closed?

One thing on-topic that I unanimously agree on... is this opinion from yours truly.

But this debate, I think, is not about what the animals knew when. But more what should humans do to protect the animals and the humans. On that I think we had some agreement.

This is where the debate should continue, it brings the direction of the thread closer to topic... if the thread has not died from cancer already.

@Kendo 2

There are many more ways to rack up posts, friend. I hope to see you in another debate.

:wallbash:

I think I see a certain amount of attempted forcing of ideology in this thread actually, by all the animal lover/human haters who "know they are morally right"....

No one has stated that. We are debating.

Oh really, Balagor? Did no-one say that?

I may be passionate in my views, but what people don't seem to realize is everything is a choice. I choose to be different and not engage in activities I know are morally wrong and will give me nightmares every night.

Don't worry, I've been told before that I'm not a sheep who follows the herd (or team player in modern speak) and that's how I like it, although for work purposes I do the team spirit thing because it's expected. To a point.

My life hasn't been adversely affected by caring and I daresay it won't in the future.

Someone seems to absolutely know that others (like me ) are morally wrong because we indulge in certain activities, and by dint of that, that she is morally right because she doesn't.

I said "morally wrong in my view" which by no means you are being forced to adopt. You're reading things into my posts which don't exist. I suggest you don't pick out certain phrases to press your argument. It doesn't help.

For example - the dog fighting comment. I never implied you had a part in it, but compared it to the fox and if that's the impression you got you are wrong. It amounts to the same thing. If fox hunting was still legal would you be taking part? It a fact making things illegal or hiding them from view only makes it more desirable and stops nothing.

I also do not apologize for having an opinion that differs from the bullies either in this thread or in real life. I'm entitled to my beliefs just as everyone else is.

If you see anything I've said as a personal attack by all means report me. I know what I feel to be right. For ME. If you don't agree do something about it. But be up front about it. Let me assure you it won't be the end of my world.

Anyway, it's pointless trying to debate with people who are so blind to alternatives and either this thread should be closed or the subject matter diverted.

EDIT:

@ Trandoshan:

This is absolutely true, and illustrates what I try to say exactly. If read with open eyes.

The hunt has always been a pastime in ancient culture, whether for food or sport, it has always existed. The problem with hunting today is that people hunt for some of the wrong reasons, and really have no respect for the kill. People in more ancient times hunted, and venerated the animals at the site of death. They then asked their god/gods for forgiveness, and thanked the animal for whatever parts that they used.

Lately though, Man-Kind has become less thankful for the food that they get to eat. (Probably because the food now resembles a circular disk, or a nugget, hehe.) I dislike bashing my own species for a reason, but it's safe to say that in this age of stressful lifestyle that we have found other ways to take our aggression out. Hunting just happens to be one of those ways. It isn't for the food, after all, even the poor can buy themselves a decent meal at a local Taco-Bell. This holds true for most developed countries. Animal abuse is another way we take the stress. I prefer to stroke my cat with my hands, while my neighbor may perfer stroking his with a bat. It's a result of the new-age lifestyle. I might be missing the point again, but I must put the blame, not 'on humanity', but on the situation of life humanity is in at the moment.

Anyway, it's pointless trying to debate with people who are so blind to alternatives...

This is a debate. Everything said in this debate (or any) should not be taken seriously completely at heart. This applies to everyone. Calling everyone ignorant is not a good way to go, my friend. Be specific. :thumbsup:

Or better yet, don't do it at all.

...and either this thread should be closed or the subject matter diverted.

Amen, this is what I have been saying.

Edit:

This is absolutely true, and illustrates what I try to say exactly. If read with open eyes.

Actually, I was hoping that it was the point you were trying to make.

Thanks for confirming! :thanks:

Anyway, it's pointless trying to debate with people who are so blind to alternatives...

This is a debate. Everything said in this debate (or any) should not be taken seriously completely at heart. This applies to everyone. Calling everyone ignorant is not a good way to go, my friend. Be specific. :thumbsup:

Or better yet, don't do it at all.

Absolutely. I agree, however everyone's view on any subject is heartfelt to them. I did not call anyone ignorant or imply the fact and if that's how it looks you've read into my posts something which isn't there.

What is the point of debate at all if neither side can see the point of view of the other? I can see both sides, I just don't have to agree or be told what I should believe. That's also not my intention, but my opinion. I'm not forcing anyone to see my side, but I do have the right to express it.

Believe me, I see what Ginnyfizz and Kendo 2 are saying and as they don't agree with me, neither do I have to agree with them.

I think I have now been specific enough.

EDIT:

@ myrmaad

As far as I'm concerned it's dead. I saw your comment while previewing my post.

I hope it's OK for me to speak my mind on this topic.I've read every post and being new I've no wish to offend anyone.

First of all my heartfelt thanks to anyone that goes out of their way to rescue abandoned animals, it shows a true heartfelt connection with what we as humans deemed acceptable to let into our lives.I detest those that abandon and or brutalize their pets.

Wild animals are just that, "wild" and to treat one as a domesticated pet is folly and asking for tragedy.No matter how much you may "love" that animal,true love would have been to leave it in the wilds and not presume that you know how to care for it nor that it will be a safe pet always.The rash of deaths and maulings in the past few years have shown that wild will always be wild no matter how much someone may wish otherwise.Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion on this interesting subject.

@Blue Morphos

I welcome your opinion, as being very honest, and aside from most, taking the weak in defense. Kudos

thank you.I love animals and find them to be caring,lovable,trusting creatures. They fulfill a nitch in many lives( they do in mine) and should be treated with love and compassion for a pet depends on its owner. I found your responce most welcome and very sincere. :)

My question is this…

Some people acknowledge that humans are animals. We are in fact, mammals. So let's assume we’re the smarted mammal…does that negate the intelligence of other animals? What I mean is this…does another mammal, which is less intelligent; get a murder pass because it’s not as smart as a human? Is that fair?

Example: One of my dogs stole a brownie off the kitchen counter yesterday. The last one too! So I scolded him, and when I tried brining Smokey back to the scene of the crime, he held his head low, pouted, and acted genuinely remorseful. He didn’t even want to enter the kitchen. Any other time, he’d come running. This is just one instance of Smokey displaying emotion, and behavior. (Had to be deceitful to steal the brownie, and was intelligent to know that it was wrong)

So it seems that some people think we should respect animals as intelligent beings, but they don’t want to punish them for acts of cruelty. Isn’t that like having your cake, and eating it too? Can’t a dog, pig, whale, horse, monkey, etc…just be bad? And can’t they commit “crimes”, like any of us? Understanding of human law withstanding; some animals know when they’re doing wrong. Isn’t that enough to justify punishment?

Let’s just say for the sake of argument…that the smartest kinds of sub-mammals, like dolphins or dogs, match the intelligence of a mentally handicapped person. If a mentally handicapped person purposely murdered another person, they’d probably go to prison. So shouldn’t one these animals be scrutinized in a similar fashion?