English - Official Language of the World ?

AncientSpaceAeon

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible ?

• Possible
    • Possible, but extremely hard.
    • Impossible
  2. 2. Do you think it will happen ?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Is it a good thing or a bad thing ?

• Good thing
    • Don't effect much
    • Bad thing

Well, English I think is the most common language used now. But is it possible for the whole world (at least 90% or 95%) to change their language to English ? How hard will it be ? Is it a good thing or a bad thing ? Do you think it will happen ?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, English I think is the most common language used now. But is it possible for the whole world (at least 90% or 95%) to change their language to English ? How hard will it be ? Is it a good thing or a bad thing ? Do you think it will happen ?

Without seeming too provincial, yes to all above. English is the primary language in aviation, engineering and science; though our French brethren would wish it otherwise. To be fair it is not an easy secondary language with all it's irregular verbs, so those that learn it as an additional language show more talent than many of it's native speakers.

Although English may have its advantages in certain fields, it also has many limitations when it comes to explaining certain concepts simply because there is either little variation between meanings or because doing so with the same clarity could require several sentences.

The funny part is that although most of the world is learning more and more English, Americans are learning less and less.

I would still say that other languages should retain their role on the local level as it is the most natural means of conveying cultural beliefs and practices, but that English, Chinese, and Esperanto should also be taught so that people within that culture can communicate in the languages of Science, Business, and Extraterrestrial Relations (blame it on Shatner).

To whole world chance to English it's possible difficult but won't happen, mainly for reasons it's forbidden to discuss in this forum and cultural languages aren't a mere code but a identity ( only surviving thought a Navy and Army according some-people).

But as a common diplomatic-business-"internetical" way of communication yes (as it's happens).

I would hope that all regions maintain their own local languages and dialects. These should always be their primary language. A native language defines local culture as nothing else does. If everyone spoke the same language it would make the word a less interesting place.

Then, later in life - possibly beginning in school at least one other language should be learned. English - especially American English is actually a poor choice as a universal language for reasons already expressed by Vagrant. Presently, English is the preferred choice for international communication. But that is always subject to change over time.

Esperanto was being pushed as an alternative at one time. However, for some reason it has fallen out of favor. The concept was to teach Esperanto as a second language in all cultures so people worldwide would only have to learn one second language. ( I actually had a US Army Esperanto manual at one time).

There's a decisive difference between closed inner-cultural and networked international interactions. It makes less sense to try to trade with a Chinese supplier from the steppe hinterland in Hebrew - this would end up in helpless gestures. That's why a linguistic consensus sometimes is needed and sometimes it is not. For the moment we have such an international consensus - the English. Though it could be Mandarin in a few generations as well, one has to be distinctly aware of this as a linguistic phenomenon in progress, always dominated by the leading country of a commercial and military circle. Today it is a globalized, worldwide circle and the leading country are the USA - so learn their language not to become segregated from the show. In ancient days it was, on a smaller scale, Latin by the same reasons.

On the other hand we see a virulent degeneration of culture language as such, the ability to speak and to write the mother tongue without a bunch of errors. The international consensus with the internet as catalyst seemingly has a negative influence on culture language - unreadable slang appears that sometimes even hurts the ears, the horror of all teachers and parents, cos they don't understand the young generation anymore, at least not really.

Food for thought.

http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_unknownauthor_lady.gif

The international consense with the internet as catalyst seemingly has a negative infuence on culture language - unreadable slang appears that sometimes even hurts the ears, the horror of all teachers and parents, cos they don't understand the young generation anymore, at least not really.

Food for thought.

Except that only posers use l33t speak these days... And poor grammar amongst the younger generation is an epidemic is most parts of the world.

Basic l33t is just replacing vowels with numbers and I guess the users of the code that follow a kind of group pressure aren't even aware of that. What I've meant is the linguistic bouillabaisse, to use an euphemism.

actually the l33t was meant to fool automatized searchers for keywords inside the Internet, that no noob would resist to use in the day after day life :rolleyes:

On topic: History shows many languages were at a time used as universal mean to communication. Some to specific areas, for instance German among philosophers.

The most spoken languages in the world are

Chinese Mandarin 1,1 billion

English 375 million

Spanish 360 million

Figures are from Wiki, and are estimated. One sixth of world population allready speak the same language, would be easier to teach the rest the same language.

Never the less, we are in the western world, and it looks like English just came sneaking through the backdoor. And that´s good, I think.

It is the most easy (for a Dane) language to learn. I speak Greek, Swedish, Spanish, German, French and English. The latter was absoluty the easiest to learn.

However I would never support an idea of having just one common language. We need to have our local laguages and dialecs in order to preserver our cultures, our diffrenties and what makes us who we are.

What we need, and I think we allready have is a common language or two for making business together, education, research, etc, etc.