⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Heavy moded Skyrim - requirements

kseon12

So, i come to choose one of this mb:

1) GigaByte GA-Z97X-SLI

2) GigaByte G1.Sniper-Z87

3) Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER(only one option from ASUS. But it cost much more - 1.5 times )

So i would be really grateful if some of you can help to choose.

P.S.

Today i try to monitor my PC resources and i find one interestin thing: in Skyrim i have 18 fps. CPU usage -50% and video card - 100% or 50% (first - GPU-Z, second System monitor-> System information from Microsoft). Ram - about 4 gb. VRam - full(1gb) + 500-700 GPU System Memory(System monitor info).

Then goes freeze and usage of CPU and GPU fall down to 10% and 0%. And this goes by round.

So, is this shows that i have not enough Vram memory ? Or this freezes caused by something else

Edited by kseon12

• 2 weeks later...

Not too clear on crossfire / sli configs and such. Never had that kind of money to build a pure gamers rig (which is why I will always favour AMD over Intel unless pressed to do otherwise). I do know that Asus MB are the best that you can get.

The two Gigabyte boards are really good, but if you switch the Asus to the VII Hero then you may be better off.

The freezes may be caused by a combination of things. Low Vram is definitely one. Also remember that Skyrim has a Ram limit also. (3.1Gb). Some later ENBs may have raised this closer to 4gb, but that is a major point to consider. If the mod combination is loading more data than this in any specific area e.g. areas between Riverwood and Whiterun, then you can get stuttering, freezes and CTDs.

Not too clear on crossfire / sli configs and such. Never had that kind of money to build a pure gamers rig (which is why I will always favour AMD over Intel unless pressed to do otherwise). I do know that Asus MB are the best that you can get.

The two Gigabyte boards are really good, but if you switch the Asus to the VII Hero then you may be better off.

The freezes may be caused by a combination of things. Low Vram is definitely one. Also remember that Skyrim has a Ram limit also. (3.1Gb). Some later ENBs may have raised this closer to 4gb, but that is a major point to consider. If the mod combination is loading more data than this in any specific area e.g. areas between Riverwood and Whiterun, then you can get stuttering, freezes and CTDs.

Around a week i bought XFX radeon R9 290X. And the freezes are gone :D. I got stable average 60 FPS on my curr system. CPU usage around 80%

Glad to hear that. I have been thinking of upgrading my GPU as well. Either a GTX 760 4Gb or a GTX 770 4Gb.

On the begining, GPU memory usage i had - 2.2 gb

So, i changed my graphic card to R9 290x and suddenly came up to 60 FPS(or 40... can't remember). So don't know any reasons to change platform to Intel, or am i wrong ?

In addition, all saying that my CPU would not "release" all the graphic card power(aka bottleneck), but i have only 80% load of the CPU.