Non-parent form?

As Vagrant says, a little more info would help.

What are the warnings for? What mods are the .esps from? If they are custom mods, what are you trying to do?

Non-parent form warnings generally are not severe. Note the generally in there. Sometimes, as with everything thats usually "not severe" with modding, they can be absolutely fatal to a mods playability, and even to the game's stability if you enter cells that contain them.

Unless I'm missing a guess (which I'll freely admit wouldn't be the first time) its usually created when someone creates a copy of something, doesn't save it with a unique ID (therefore the CS still associates it with the parent object) but changes something about it so its NOT the parent object. Or some craziness like that.

I think the last time I saw this was a custom scripted Sigil Stone that I had made. All I ended up doing was changing it so the game/cs didn't know it was a Sigil Stone, it just used the mesh, texture and the icon. Though if I remember correctly, it worked as it should have in the game either way, so not fatal.

Jenrai

More info?

It gives me that warning when I load up my mod I am working on,it says

there are 4 non-parent forms contains both something.esp and something1.esp,for example.

One esp is from a resource I am using and the other is my mod esp.

I did all like the 'book says',nothing is added in the mod without changing the editor id,so it is all unique.

After the last save i made in CS and after that warning,I got one more warning about missing object for a reference,too.

As result,I can't delete 3 npc's at all from the mod,and I can't add pieces from this resource.everything else works fine,all the other items are available from all the other resources I am using.

:sweat:

So it is just that one resource,and those npc's which makes a problem.

I don't see a reason why would those npc's become dependent on this resource,they have nothing from it,and there is no connection between the two. :confused:

Thanks in forward

:thumbsup:

Captain Moranda

What are the warnings for? What mods are the .esps from? If they are custom mods, what are you trying to do?

Non-parent form warnings generally are not severe. Note the generally in there. Sometimes, as with everything thats usually "not severe" with modding, they can be absolutely fatal to a mods playability, and even to the game's stability if you enter cells that contain them.

Unless I'm missing a guess (which I'll freely admit wouldn't be the first time) its usually created when someone creates a copy of something, doesn't save it with a unique ID (therefore the CS still associates it with the parent object) but changes something about it so its NOT the parent object. Or some craziness like that.

I think the last time I saw this was a custom scripted Sigil Stone that I had made. All I ended up doing was changing it so the game/cs didn't know it was a Sigil Stone, it just used the mesh, texture and the icon. Though if I remember correctly, it worked as it should have in the game either way, so not fatal.

Jenrai

You know,I haven't come across nothing fatal when I jumped to the game to check it out,thank goodness,nothing wrong in that cell.

But as I described to Vagrant,the only problem is that I can't add nothing from this resource I am using,and I can't delete 3 npc's I added,they always come back,because,apparently,they are somehow dependent on this resource,and I don't see how they could became,as I added as usual,I made no mistakes there,all the names and ID's are unique,the ones which required to be.

Thanks for the answer,friend. :thumbsup:

Jenrai

You know,I haven't come across nothing fatal when I jumped to the game to check it out,thank goodness,nothing wrong in that cell.

But as I described to Vagrant,the only problem is that I can't add nothing from this resource I am using,and I can't delete 3 npc's I added,they always come back,because,apparently,they are somehow dependent on this resource,and I don't see how they could became,as I added as usual,I made no mistakes there,all the names and ID's are unique,the ones which required to be.

Thanks for the answer,friend. :thumbsup:

Deleting something you created or edited in CS is done selecting the mod (do not tick it nor set as active, just select) and click "Details".

navigate to whatever you want, mark it and press the "Delete key" at keyboard... that will put a "i" flag in that resource which means it will be ignored and not loaded. Once you are done, click 'Close'. Mark your mod as the active file and load the CS as normal... save the mod and voilà.

PS: That's the same procedure to "clean" mods which gets that "*" meaning something that shouldn't was marked as edited. Better saying, vanilla resources that got hooked in your mod.

That parenting option is confusing to me. I thought it meant the object (child) was made a part of a bigger object (parent) but in a physical sense. Like attaching a planter to a sidewalk so it would stick and not fall down. :ohmy: I was wrong. The planter still fell down. I'll understand it eventually.

That parenting option is confusing to me. I thought it meant the object (child) was made a part of a bigger object (parent) but in a physical sense. Like attaching a planter to a sidewalk so it would stick and not fall down. :ohmy: I was wrong. The planter still fell down. I'll understand it eventually.

As you know, there are parent and non-parent objects. This is just what CS is using as information about object ID, so, when it says 'error with non-parent', it means you should search for something that has no 'children', makes it easier to find the problem, so you don't have to search forever. This is how I understand, more experienced modders can tell you if I'm right or wrong. I hope you understand me, since my english is not perfect.

The problem is because you are using objects from one .esp within another .esp. This is one of those major no-no's of Oblivion modding. All forms used by a mod must exist within that mod. Making a duplicate of another mod's object within the active mod does not work 90% of the time, so the object should ALWAYS be either made from scratch (best choice in most cases), or the mods should be merged (and cleaned (does not always work well)).

In order to fix the problem, you'll need to remove the .esp parenting and delete those forms with TES4Gecko.

Or, if anything inside the ressource .esp is unique you can simply make it an .esm.

The way you can circumvent the "parent" thing, is the same how you do it with the CM partner mod and adding custom race content. Read the readme of CM partner how it's done. Basically you convert the mod you want to take ressources from to a .esm, then you add the content inside your mod (which should be dependent of the .esm) and after that you use Wrye Bash to get rid of the dependence. One more save and all you need is to have the meshes and textures.