requiring dlc's

MacSuibhne

Fairly new to modding....

I recently installed a mod on the vanilla game. When reading the description and preparing to DL the main file I noticed that the mod required both Dawnguard and Dragonborn. I was planning on buying Dragonborn but not Dawnguard.

I asked the author of the mod what I should do if I wanted DB but not DG; which mod variation should I install and would the file for DB and DG work if just one of the DLC's was installed; and why was I being forced to buy both in order to be able to add and play just the one.

I didn't get a very responsive answer and wondered if someone in the community could explain it to me....????

And are there very many other mods that require both or none?

mods require DLCs if they use assets (textures, models and so on) that are part of the DLC or have quests in an area that is part of the DLC or were changed by the DLC. There can be many reasons why you would need a DLC. If the mod really needs a DLC you wont be able to use it properly without the DLC (either you cant play a quest or textures are missing, NPCs are stuck in positions they are not supposed in... or your game just crashes).

next: you are not "forced"! the mod author does not force you to install his mod and therefore buy both DLCs!

Its his damn right to not provide a version that doesnt require DLCs

If you can tell us what mod you are talking about i can have a look at it and maybe ther is a another mod that does almost the same but doesnt require DLCs?

If you really want the Mod and it really requires both DLCs then your only way is to buy them.

Edited by h4n4

Which DLC's are needed to play a mod is dependant on which were loaded in the CK when the mod was created.

Sometimes DLC is needed because the mod relies on content from those DLC's, sometimes they are added so that the mods content will be added to those parts of the game. In the latter case, the modder sometimes makes a version that doesn't rely on the DLC's.

And yes there are many mods that require one, both, or none.

Which DLC's are needed to play a mod is dependant on which were loaded in the CK when the mod was created.

Sometimes DLC is needed because the mod relies on content from those DLC's, sometimes they are added so that the mods content will be added to those parts of the game. In the latter case, the modder sometimes makes a version that doesn't rely on the DLC's.

And yes there are many mods that require one, both, or none.

I'm fine with needing one of the DLC's...either/or....I understand why a mod might have an optional file that requires one of the DLC's. The problem is that requiring both at the same time forces a user to buy/acquire/activate both DLC's in order to play just one of them. There's no choice...except not use the mod. It may be the mod authors right to limit choice but it's short sighted at best and maybe even a bit arrogant at worst--"my way or the highway."

I believe that I am suitably grateful to modders...I am aware and appreciative of the terrific work they do and the fact that they offer it to the community free of charge. Ideally, theoretically, every mod is an expression of generosity. I know and acknowledge that.

But is modding about showing off...showcasing your talents...or about offering options (choice)?

And yes, I can choose to not use the mod...and probably will.

Edited by MacSuibhne

"Arrogant?" Really? That is a truly impressive level of ironic lack of self-awareness you've got going there. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. The modder offers you an expansion on the game that he or she has likely invested hours into. Your response is to go the forum and groan about their work because in your hopelessly clueless state you imagine it should have been done differently. And you say THEY are the ones saying "my way or the highway?" Gratitude does not work that way.

Modding is about whatever the modder wants it to be about. Already the modder has doubled your choices: you can play with their mod or without, where previously you could only play without. Instead of being grateful for the new choices you have you do nothing but whine about how the modder should have given you three or four or more new choices, new choices they are probably not interested in and probably not very motivated to spend another 60 hours of their life implementing just for you. And with an attitude like yours I can understand why pleasing you is not very high on their list of priorities.

Modders include those DLCs they deem sufficiently important to their mod's functionality or as required by the Nexus TOS. They do not answer to you and they have obligation to cater to your whims. Don't like the mod's requirements? Don't use download it. Your problem is now solved.

Or here's an idea. If you are e so certain that Dragonborn isn't necessary for this mod to work, create your own version. Then you never have to come back here and we'll both be much happier.

mods require DLCs if they use assets (textures, models and so on) that are part of the DLC or have quests in an area that is part of the DLC or were changed by the DLC. There can be many reasons why you would need a DLC. If the mod really needs a DLC you wont be able to use it properly without the DLC (either you cant play a quest or textures are missing, NPCs are stuck in positions they are not supposed in... or your game just crashes).

I understand all this

next: you are not "forced"! the mod author does not force you to install his mod and therefore buy both DLCs!

Its his damn right to not provide a version that doesnt require DLCs

Oh? How do you like having to deal with all the extra...and spurious...foreign language fonts (such as Tunga and Utsaah and @NSimSun and @MingLiU and @PMingLiu, to name but a few) that Microsoft "forces" to you load up with Windows and that you cannot get rid of? It's the same sort of situation...you can either bend over and grin & bear it... or you can stop using Windows altogether. What have you done in that regard? I don't think Skyrim plays on a Mac too well.

If you can tell us what mod you are talking about i can have a look at it and maybe ther is a another mod that does almost the same but doesn't require DLCs?

If you really want the Mod and it really requires both DLCs then your only way is to buy them.

I am not interested in singling out...or dissing...any particular author or any particular mod. I know that there are alternatives...just as Linux and/or OS10 are alternatives...and I will probably go with one of them.

That said, I don't know about anyone else but I consider Microsoft's attitude about the extra fonts arrogant in the extreme. How about you?

Edited by MacSuibhne

"Arrogant?" Really? That is a truly impressive level of ironic lack of self-awareness you've got going there. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. The modder offers you an expansion on the game that he or she has likely invested hours into. Your response is to go the forum and groan about their work because in your hopelessly clueless state you imagine it should have been done differently. And you say THEY are the ones saying "my way or the highway?" Gratitude does not work that way.

Modding is about whatever the modder wants it to be about. Already the modder has doubled your choices: you can play with their mod or without, where previously you could only play without. Instead of being grateful for the new choices you have you do nothing but whine about how the modder should have given you three or four or more new choices, new choices they are probably not interested in and probably not very motivated to spend another 60 hours of their life implementing just for you. And with an attitude like yours I can understand why pleasing you is not very high on their list of priorities.

Modders include those DLCs they deem sufficiently important to their mod's functionality or as required by the Nexus TOS. They do not answer to you and they have obligation to cater to your whims. Don't like the mod's requirements? Don't use download it. Your problem is now solved.

Or here's an idea. If you are e so certain that Dragonborn isn't necessary for this mod to work, create your own version. Then you never have to come back here and we'll both be much happier.

See above post....

I suspect that in order to not be clueless you've written your own operating system and don't need to use Windows. Or perhaps you've just decided that your particular version of bending over is righteous and noble and not really bending over...and everyone else should follow suit. I mean Microsoft doesn't have to answer to you and if you stopped using Windows we'd all be happier.

Edited by MacSuibhne

Holy hell.

I pay Microsoft for a service. That alone is a sufficiently different situation from modders that it totally invalidates your asinine comparison. If you have a problem with Microsoft's font package, install Ubuntu and shut the hell up. I'm not bending over for anybody. I just don't care in the slightest about a handful of extra fonts on my system, not when I have literally thousands of fonts for my job as a graphic designer.

I recommend this thread be closed. There's no reasoning with somebody this self righteously stupid. Frankly if it were my choice to make I would outright ban you.

Holy hell.

I pay Microsoft for a service. That alone is a sufficiently different situation from modders that it totally invalidates your asinine comparison. If you have a problem with Microsoft's font package, install Ubuntu and shut the hell up. I'm not bending over for anybody. I just don't care in the slightest about a handful of extra fonts on my system, not when I have literally thousands of fonts for my job as a graphic designer.

I recommend this thread be closed. There's no reasoning with somebody this self righteously stupid. Frankly if it were my choice to make I would outright ban you.

In my experience trolls never become moderators and never have the authority to ban anyone.

I started this thread looking for answers. In the first sentence I said I was new to modding. What part of "new to modding' don't you understand? I was assuming that anyone who responded could read, would read and understood basic English.

Your response was to call me "clueless." Well, duh! I'm fine with being clueless--it's an indication that I recognize my ignorance and am looking to become less ignorant. It's a badge of honour if only because it indicates that i can recognize where I need to improve. People who call others clueless usually do so because they are already perfect and see everybody else as beneath them.

I stated that Microsoft was arrogant because they presume to think they know what is best for the people who use their product. the issue of the fonts has been a fairly major annoyance and issue on the Internet for at least three years. Microsoft could have fixed it. Microsoft could have released a version of windows that wasn't so bloated. They have chosen not to...they have chosen to impose their judgement on everybody else. whether you pay for it or not Microsoft is not responsive and that's arrogance in my book.

Similarly....I suggested that any piece of software, free or not, that presumes I can afford to buy another piece of software that I don't want...esp. when so many other modders are more than capable of making versions of their mods specifically for DawnGuard and another one specifically for Dragonborn (instead of assuming that I ...or anyone else wants both) is a flawed piece of software. I did ask if there was a reason why such assumptions were being made...a real reason and not just laziness or indifference.

You, on the other hand came to this thread looking for trouble--that's trolling at its finest. You didn't read or understand either my question or my follow-up remarks. I doubt you even tried--too much bother for you, I suppose.

If you think banning me is the answer and would make you happy...get rid of that rat chewing at your innards...why don't you just put me on your ignore list? You're already blind, deaf and dumb to any opinion other than your own, so nothing significant will change. Except you won't be frothing at the mouth.

Edited by MacSuibhne

To answer the original question...

Mods sometimes require DG or DB or both because they use assests from those DLCs - this means that the mod will have a masterfile dependency on the DLC(s), and your game will crash if you don't have them.

A mod can sometimes have a "Non-DB" version, depending on how deeply ingrained the DLC content is in the mod. Some mods CAN'T have a non-DLC version - trying to make one would tear the mod to shreds.

I hope that answers your question.