Sound replacement possible?

TRekNexus

<slides in from the shadows> I know this isn't a priority, but I was wondering if the unused speech files can be brought back to life with mutator magic. Like instead of playing "contact" when a pod patrols in during the enemy's turn, play "they are sending in reinforcements".

Edited by LiQuiD911

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what unused speech files you mean, but something like that is probably possible either with mutators or through a custom sound bank. Since mutators aren't really supported in xcom the appropriate hooks would need to be added in the right place to do it that way, and could probably only swap sounds with other already existing sounds. The custom voice banks would give you full control over what sound is played for each event, assuming you have the sound assets to use.

@ Liquid. We know there are at least some clips were recorded but aren't utilized in game -- in particular danger zone suppression. But others we haven't tested whether they point to any actual audio or not.

@ tracktwo -- Thanks for looking it over. Making this up as I go along, but hopefully it will get a response :)

Fantastic! Most helpful at first would be the sounds for common and easily triggerable events. Moving, overwatch, shot missed, killing or failing to kill an alien, reloading, to name a few.

I'll re-listen to some of the extracted individual sounds to see if I can hear anything, but I didn't really notice any obvious post processing on humans. They are fairly highly compressed and low sample rate to begin with, though, so it might just be a quality issue. Most of the time the sounds are playing over music or other effects so it's probably often not that noticeable.

Roger that.

Would you like to come up with a filenames convention for the waves that includes all the variables in play here (echaracterspeech, index, speaker, language, accent, maybe some others? We're getting lots of interest.

If it's OK with you we'll set up a google drive for submissions.

I'm going to go through XComGame.upk and try to suss out which speech segments are actually called by the game.

The existing sounds use the convention like this: SM01HunkerDown01. "SM" or "SF" is soldier male/female. Then the name of the event, and a two digit counter starting at 01 for each variant. The packages themselves are named "MaleVoice1_English_bank0", for the first (0th) bank of the english male voice #1. So a similar convention would be useful. E.g. a folder named as the package, and inside files with the convention of the sound node names.

I've also gone through the existing sound banks, and it looks like human soldiers have 61 sounds per bank, and each bank has all 61 sounds. But not all sounds are unique throughout the banks, as you suspected many of the less-common ones are repeated in multiple banks.

Here's a full list of all the voices present for human soldiers:

HunkerDown
Reload
Overwatching
Moving
Dashing
JetPackMove
LowAmmo
OutOfAmmo
Suppressing
AreaSuppressing
FlushingTarget