Multiplayer Games

antonkr

Flying all night across the ocean on your Boeing 747. (Flight Simulator X)

Taking a year and many nights to build a Titan to only have it destroyed and then sue the person who attacked you.(EVE online)

Leaving your job and starting a virtual buisness. (second life)

Is it too much?

Are we going to be soon have half of population staying at their houses and doing nothing else but playing WOW or Second Life??

Almost everyone who plays EVE online remembers where a guy was sued for attacking a Titan (10k$ of real money)

Is it too much??

The problem with multiplayer games is when it gets to be more than a hobby done for entertainment. The game should be a game and nothing more than that. Unfortunately, the genre has always had this sort of problem due simply to how the game is usually setup to both demand constant play-time to get anywhere and stay there, and to suck as much cash out of you as humanly possible. Free-to-play games are no different. Flash/web games, like farmville and mafiawars are no different since these also require either constantly coming back to check on things, or purchasing things with real money to reduce the need of constantly coming back. The problem is not the game, since MUDS never had anywhere near this much of a problem, but instead that the game is designed to do little more than turn players into level grinding zombies who drop several hundred dollars a week to maintain their equipment or buy the latest premium item.

The more successful the business model, the more harmful the game becomes to the player, and vise versa.

Im a WoW player, and as much as i like it, im in no way whatso ever addicted to it.

having personally gone through eve and all that - yes, for specific peopel it can turn into to much, but then it also can be like a reflector.

second life? is that not like a virtuality in the virtuality?

i dont see the reason.

fsx? well. sometimes you are just driven arent you.

the thing is wanna look deeper or not.

i dont know.

alot depends on the person.

so to realise that is to step out of wheels.

you got the power.

I never did like competing against other people on gaming, or found any fun at it. Even less so if I am not any good at the particular game. And MMOs are all about competing with other people. And I also noticed other players tend to get in your way more than anything else, like if you are trying to hunt for some XP or items, all the sudden 3 other people or another team moves in and starts stealing your kills and ninja looting drops, etc. When you take something like a game, but include the addition of real life A holes, you get an MMO. I play games to relax and pass some time, and MMOs do nothing but test my patience to its limits, and they expect me to pay a monthly fee for this? They must be completely out of their minds.

Every MMO I tried playing, within under 2 weeks I was disgusted to the point that I quit playing, for one reason or another. And usually when I did play, I would solo if it was possible.

I never did like competing against other people on gaming, or found any fun at it. Even less so if I am not any good at the particular game. And MMOs are all about competing with other people. And I also noticed other players tend to get in your way more than anything else, like if you are trying to hunt for some XP or items, all the sudden 3 other people or another team moves in and starts stealing your kills and ninja looting drops, etc. When you take something like a game, but include the addition of real life A holes, you get an MMO. I play games to relax and pass some time, and MMOs do nothing but test my patience to its limits, and they expect me to pay a monthly fee for this? They must be completely out of their minds.

Every MMO I tried playing, within under 2 weeks I was disgusted to the point that I quit playing, for one reason or another. And usually when I did play, I would solo if it was possible.

I could not express it better my self. :thumbsup: kudos

I never did like competing against other people on gaming, or found any fun at it. Even less so if I am not any good at the particular game.

I dont know. I find the occasional round of TF2 fun. For me it is more like you are having a virtual pillow fight.

I play UT3 and TF2 sometimes online, but only when my friends get together, otherwise i leave them alone.

What Chaosblade02 says about MMO is true, i played LOTRO for 1 month then quit, just because i play a female char does not mean to say i am one, you wont believe how many times people tried to 'chat' me up, or openly flirted with me on that game.