Thinking about starting playing.

antonkr

My dad has been playing Eve Online for a pretty long time. When looking over whats going on and politics this game sounds like a game for me. I tried the demo, and I really liked it. About how hard will it be for the beginner? If I do start playing it, what career is most rewarding when I really don't want to play this game for 5 hours a day. Are there any good rookie help alliances?

Rookie help alliance: Eve University. They teach you the ropes, do daily roams, PVP, PVE, etc. and you can join and leave whenever you want

Eve politics: If you're looking to get in to the really big stuff going on like the big 19,000 North members vs. 19,000 South members fight going on right now then you'll need to get atleast a few million SP under your belt and be prepared for boring-ville 90% of the time. Eve politics is one of those things that is more fun to read than it is to be involved in at a grunt level. The game just can't handle the big 1,000 vs 1,000 fleet fights going on and you always end up disappointed with the game mechanics.

Having said that if you can join a nice active corp or alliance that go on daily roams and partake in "small" fleet warfare (50 v 50 or less) then you'll have a great time most of the time.

Time: Eve Online is not like FPS games or online RPGs; you can't pick it up for 10 - 60 mins and have a substantial PVP experience. It takes time for everyone to form up and fleet up, time to get to where you want to go and more time trying to pick a fight. Then the fight takes a while and then you've got to get back home....it all adds up in the end.

Having said that Eve Online is made for (lol) more mature gamers that have to work during the day. You can still train your skills at work or out of the game so your character is always improving despite the fact you're not playing, which is great in a way.

My recommendation would be to try the game for a few months and see how you like it. If your dad is in a corp then play with him and join his corp and get them to show you the ropes.

Don't get pulled in by the major Eve politics happening though. They're great to read about but actually being there on the front-line as a simple grunt/peon is utterly dull due to the massive lag and game destroying mechanics.

This may be unusual that I am going to play this game, because I would say the medium age for people who play it is around 30-36 I am only 13. You may probably say that I will quit pretty soon but I really loved the demo. I was also lucky enough that my dad is going to start me an account and explain stuff. So thanks, Dark0ne for clearing stuff out.

Average player age is mid-to-late 20s, I believe.

Anyway, like Dark0ne said, Eve University is a great place to get help - and if you don't want to join the corp, then people are always happy to answer questions in their public chat channel, EUNI Public. Feel free to ask any of us, if you see us online too. I'm Jonan Amraphenson ingame. The learning curve of Eve, compared to other games, can be summarized well with the following graph:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/2335016192_6003c39c4c.jpg

However, if you're not afraid to ask people for help, and you manage to find a few friendly players to hang out with, its not too bad, and its great fun. :)

My dad has been playing Eve Online for a pretty long time. When looking over whats going on and politics this game sounds like a game for me. I tried the demo, and I really liked it. About how hard will it be for the beginner? If I do start playing it, what career is most rewarding when I really don't want to play this game for 5 hours a day. Are there any good rookie help alliances?

The question you ask: what career is most rewarding, is most difficult to answer. Your mention of politics leads one to believe you may find PvP rewarding- and Dark One's and Terminator's replies summarize the situation.

There are many other careers in eve, though- and a lot of people find them rewarding.

Mining is the most boring thing possible- but huge number of people do it. Useful if you are going to be afk much of the time. There is a limit to the amount of money you will make. Possibly up to 50 million an hour- probably like 20-30m/hr.

Missions are done by many. They can be fun when done with friends. ISK/hr is twice that of mining (thus more rewarding in this way)

The most financially rewarding profession is trade. There is no limit to what you will make. Daily income of 200-300 million is achievable within a few months. Successful traders may make 2 or many times that much in a day. Trade is great as your trade items continue to sell even when you are not online. Thus even with a few hours online in a month you have brilliant financial rewards. The market in Eve is amazing and mimics real life. I find this a most rewarding profession.

Industry and research is also a pretty good career- especially if you combine it with trade and decide to sell the items you manufacture. Your profit margins are much better, and industry can also be done with minimal time online.

Piracy is rewarding for many. You can work in small groups and kill innocent haulers etc. Comes under PvP.

Hopefully that helps. Eve is a way of life. Once you get into it you will find your niche and the career that suits you. As I am addicted, I strongly recommend the experience :)

Edit:

Term: that graph is the funniest thing I have seen in some time :)

• 1 month later...

Eve is a lot of fun. But the learning curve is pretty steep. That graph is about accurate, but from the new updates they've done, I don't think it is as bad as it used to be. I remember seeing that chart when I first started playing and thought, "Yep, I'm one of those bodies being bulldozed there."

I saw that pirating was put in. Don't forget the Anti-pirating too.

• 3 months later...

Best advice i can give you. Do the tutorials, find a decent corp and ask them lots of questions and fly missions with them. Some guys will even do level 4 missions and let you salvage the rooms after them, or go in get agro and let you fly in to kill the smaller frigates.

Do not expect to be ubber within a few months though. Have fun instead and fly safe.

Biggest advice I can give you here is never fly anything you can not afford to loose. And High Sec ( Empire space ) can be more dangerous than 0.0 space. or (nul sec). :thumbsup:

If your dad plays it, thats good because starting off with a fresh toon is a pain and he can give you some financial aid and also give tips etc on best way to move ISK.

Guranteed 2-3 minutes of his work can fund your first 3 days of eve, its worth trying the trial anyways. Ask him to send you a buddy invite so if you do sign up he gets a nice 30 days free :D

• 9 months later...