A question by a fellow hearing-disabled TESV gamer.

SilentResident

I like the lockpicking mini-game. It is funny although it can get tiring sometimes.

However, I am puzzled how comes most people are better at Lockpicking than me, as demonstrated in the youtube videos.

Lockpicking has been so much of a trouble for me. Most of the times, I keep breaking many lockpicks in search of a lock's soft spot.

I wonder, is there some sort of a sound that plays if your lockpick is in the right soft spot of a lock? Is there any audio that helps you know where the soft spot is? Or does the Lockpicking skill relies solely on your eyes?

I ask as I don't know if there are any sounds in the minigame, since I am deaf in real life.

There is sound that plays but I've never been able to notice it as matching up with the sweet spot. I break just as many picks as you probably do. I have no idea how some people are able to do locks in one go especially the master level locks. Novice locks I can understand. I've been lucky several times with those even the apprentice locks on occasion but anything higher I break picks often.

I use Lockpick Pro. It is a "cheat" mod because it shows a bar with an arrow and the sweet spot so that you can get the lock picked in one go. It does have an option to delay all that from showing. I put it off by 10 seconds as a fail safe in case I can't figure it out on my own.

Many of the Let's Play videos I've seen include mods that effectively negate the lockpicking mini-game. Basically extending the "sweet spot" to such a wide area that there's no guesswork even on Master mods anymore. No one wants to sit and watch someone spend 5 minutes on a b&@*$ of a Master lock, so such mods save the creator having to edit them out.

Sound doesn't seem to be an issue because I sometimes play with the sound muted and don't have any more trouble with the locks. If you press A or D firmly and you aren't in the right place, the pick breaks. I very quickly and lightly tap the A key to see if there's any movement at all from the lock. If not, I move the pick and try again. I still break some picks, but with a light touch I can usually open a master level lock even with a lockpicking skill of around 30 with only 2-3 broken picks.

I'm literally playing with headphones and haven't ever heard that sound. I simply press "A" and "D" VERY briefly to test if I'm close to the sweet spot. If it budges, I'll try a little to the left/right and see if it moves even further before blocking. Not much more to it. Picking Master locks without perks is a little tedious and doesn't really fit roleplay-wise, so I usually refrain from that.

I'm so bad at lockpicking too.

I lack the patience and give up after breaking 5 picks.

I want so show you this mod.

Lock Overhaul

It adds magic to unlock locks and also lock bashing for melee characters.

You can adjust which skill level you need to unlock which chest.

Finally no mages and righters with fingersmith 100 :)

I believe there is a sound. It's like a softer grinding noise, unless I'm just imagining it. When I play with a mouse and keyboard, I would be able to jiggle the mouse back and forth to easily find a good starting point. I've switched to using a gamepad lately, and was having a rough time, and then read some tips saying to VERY gently try turning the lock. When it's on or close to the right position, the pick actually shouldn't really move, only the lock/tumbler will turn. Once the pick starts moving/shaking, back off and move it slightly left/right and slowly try again.

Edit: if you happen to play with a controller with rumble, you will also get some slight feedback with lockpicking as well.

Edited by ponyboy10

Actually, there are very subtle sounds that I register unconsciously. When I actually pay attention to the sound, as the lock turns there's a slight squeaking, but if the lock jams there's a grindy sound I can't quite describe, and I stop pressing the button upon hearing it. Also, the more I turn a lockpick, the more audio input I get so i know the lock is moving when I move my mouse around. This combined with visual feedback makes lockpicking easy for me.

Edited by Ceruulean