UK Election day

Dark0ne

David Cameron is now officially prime minister of the UK, in a coalition government with the Lib Dems. Nick Clegg has been made deputy prime minister, there are also going to be 4 other cabinet positions going to the Lib Dems, that have yet to be confirmed (fingers crossed Vince Cable will be made chancellor - I would give anything to see the look on George Osbourne's face when he hears that news, the smug b*stard).

So, anyone know how much flights to Canada cost? I'd quite like to get out of this country before it inevitably all goes to hell. I wonder how long it'll be until all those poor fools who voted Conservative will realise what they've let us in for?

In our country the conservatives are in, but they only have a 4 year term. unlike the states. Another reason Canada rules :thumbsup:.

So how long does the prime minister have in office, in the UK?.

So, anyone know how much flights to Canada cost? I'd quite like to get out of this country before it inevitably all goes to hell. I wonder how long it'll be until all those poor fools who voted Conservative will realise what they've let us in for?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to all the mindless riff-raff blaming the Conservatives for Labour selling everything but the crown jewels (only because they couldn't) and more than doubling the country's debt. Sort of puts them on par with the Torries privatising all our services before them.

They're all as bad as each other. Just one leader has a stupid freaky smile, is Scottish and isn't going to win any beauty prizes and one leader looks normal, acts normal and has a very beautiful wife. When all else fails go on looks, guys!

In our country the conservatives are in, but they only have a 4 year term. unlike the states. Another reason Canada rules :thumbsup:.

So how long does the prime minister have in office, in the UK?.

It tends to be every 5 years so they announced the next one wont be until may 12 2015. both the conservatives and lib dem coalition is trying to past a legistation that it stays at that date and not an earlier election.

but if thing really do go bad i guess they may have a earlier election

ive accepted david cameron now as my pm as a labour voter the only dissapointment ive had is that are local mp david drew was voted out by some tory puppet by about a 1000 votes as stated in the telegraph he was the the 4th best mp to vote for. he was the best to happen were we lived dont know what went wrong in our town. :confused:

ive alway considered moving to canada they are so friendly :biggrin:

heres a little info on it http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8675848.stm

At the moment, theres no fixed term, but generally no more than 5 years. They stay in office until either they decide to call an election, or a majority of MPs vote for the dissolution of parliament.

Although, one of the concessions the Lib Dems have managed to get out of the Conservatives is fixed-term parliaments, so all that could change in the future. That is, assuming they actually keep all their promises - which no doubt they'll be very reluctant to do. If they can hold on long enough to be able to call another election without it looking too bad, and then get a majority win in that one, then they'll be able to get away without doing half the things they've promised. So long as Nick Clegg manages to get the referendum on proportunate voting, though, things shouldn't be too bad.

I just noticed an interesting (and wholly unsurprising) thing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/election2010/liveevent/ @11:50

1150: We understand that under the new agreement for fixed-term parliaments, the only way to remove the government between elections would be a vote of no confidence with the support of 55% of MPs. At present, any no confidence vote requires only 50%, plus one MP.

The Conservatives command 47.5% of the house, which means everyone else totals 52.5%. What a happy coincidence.