Tried everything but: SKSE + Mod organizer = CTD

stamstamstam

Had the same problem here that after doing a clean install of Skyrim, MO and SKSE, after the logo CTD happened.

Solution was very simple (after 2 hours of troubleshooting) - you have to enter the directory path to start SKSE in under Modify Executables.

• 3 months later...

Had the same problem here that after doing a clean install of Skyrim, MO and SKSE, after the logo CTD happened.

Solution was very simple (after 2 hours of troubleshooting) - you have to enter the directory path to start SKSE in under Modify Executables.

You saved me alot of time and frustration, I have been at this for 3 hours and was losing it.

If anyone googles this, do as he says and in Under modify executables, in the "Start In" field put the root of the skyrim directory !

Keywods for google : Mod Organizer and SKSE crash on startup with no mods

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

having the same problem and it just started was running skse via mo fine last night then when i tried to go back in skse crashes, reinstalled skyrim from scratch, reinstaled SKSE, set the start in root folder in MO, SKSE lauches fine on its own, and MO and Skyrim are on their own freaking HDD so no where near my C Drive, and again were working fine hours previous, even shut down my pc and let it rest for a hour. Now i'm going to reinstalled MO as a last ditch effort

As for MO, I don't currently use it, but if it is like most mod managers it is not running when you start the game - It's job is finished when the mods are installed and it is not needed to either run or play the game. It may have a launcher built in, but is just for your convenience and is actually not really needed once you have the mods installed.

Not with MO, because it stores all of your mods in a folder that keeps them appart, then creates a virtual folder when you launch the game.

I installed Skse in the same folder. the thing is I had to manualy add (I mean manual add it through the binary button search option.)
the proper launcher into MO from the steam folder so you may have to modify it. If that doesn't work try uninstall and reinstall then do that step again. Also make sure both are the latest editions sorry if you said you did that already.

It may seem stupid but after I do that I load the zip file as a mod into my mod manager as well.

Then I run Skse from th launcher area in MO. Havent had it crash yet. Unless another mod made mine do it but never after that was it Skse.

I'll see if I can add anything of real value here...

If you've manually installed mods into Skyrim before using Mod Organizer I would strongly recommend Uninstalling Skyrim and deleting the Skyrim directory and starting with a fresh Vanilla install. Mod Organizer is designed to run off of a vanilla install of Skyrim in your Skyrim directory. It's purpose is to Mod your game without affecting your vanilla installation so you'll never have to reinstall again.

1. Uninstall Mod Organizer and SKSE completely and start over. This includes completely deleting your Mod Organizer folder (feel free to backup all your mods in the Mod directory of Mod Organizer somewhere else)

2. Install SKSE using the Installer method and make sure you choose your Skyrim directory

http://www.craigandchris.com/download-skyrim-script-extender/

3. Install Mod Organizer in your Skyrim Directory, it should automagically detect SKSE

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/

4. Open Mod Organizer, click the drop down next to the Run button and click Edit... Choose SKSE from the list (it will be grayed out) and verify the following.

Binary (must point to skse_loader.exe in your skyrim directory), mine is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe

5. Verify the Mods in your Mod list are only Mods from the vanilla installation of Skyrim.

6. Install LOOT into your Skyrim directory:

https://loot.github.io/

7. Once again, click the drop down next to the run button in Mod Organizer and choose Edit...

8. In the title, type LOOT, for Binary choose the ... and navigate to the Loot.exe file and select it Mine is located at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\LOOT\LOOT.exe

9. Click Add, Select Loot from the drop down and Run it. Choose Sort and then Apply. It's important to have LOOT installed separate on Mod Organizer to ensure the latest LOOT master file has been downloaded.

10. Check the Exclamation mark in the top right hand corner of Mod Organizer to see if there are any Problems detected by Mod Organizer

11. Choose SKSE from the drop down and click Run.

If it works, copy your Mods folder backup back into your Mods folder of Mod Organizer, relaunch Mod Organizer and your list of mods should appear.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by RevolverCC

• 6 months later...

I'll see if I can add anything of real value here...

If you've manually installed mods into Skyrim before using Mod Organizer I would strongly recommend Uninstalling Skyrim and deleting the Skyrim directory and starting with a fresh Vanilla install. Mod Organizer is designed to run off of a vanilla install of Skyrim in your Skyrim directory. It's purpose is to Mod your game without affecting your vanilla installation so you'll never have to reinstall again.

1. Uninstall Mod Organizer and SKSE completely and start over. This includes completely deleting your Mod Organizer folder (feel free to backup all your mods in the Mod directory of Mod Organizer somewhere else)

2. Install SKSE using the Installer method and make sure you choose your Skyrim directory

http://www.craigandchris.com/download-skyrim-script-extender/

3. Install Mod Organizer in your Skyrim Directory, it should automagically detect SKSE

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/

4. Open Mod Organizer, click the drop down next to the Run button and click Edit... Choose SKSE from the list (it will be grayed out) and verify the following.

Binary (must point to skse_loader.exe in your skyrim directory), mine is

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe

5. Verify the Mods in your Mod list are only Mods from the vanilla installation of Skyrim.

6. Install LOOT into your Skyrim directory:

https://loot.github.io/

7. Once again, click the drop down next to the run button in Mod Organizer and choose Edit...

8. In the title, type LOOT, for Binary choose the ... and navigate to the Loot.exe file and select it Mine is located at

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\LOOT\LOOT.exe

9. Click Add, Select Loot from the drop down and Run it. Choose Sort and then Apply. It's important to have LOOT installed separate on Mod Organizer to ensure the latest LOOT master file has been downloaded.

10. Check the Exclamation mark in the top right hand corner of Mod Organizer to see if there are any Problems detected by Mod Organizer

11. Choose SKSE from the drop down and click Run.

If it works, copy your Mods folder backup back into your Mods folder of Mod Organizer, relaunch Mod Organizer and your list of mods should appear.

Let me know how it goes.

Hey RevolverCC,
thank you very much!
I read a lot about this problem. It took me hours but nothing worked.
Your step by step manuel helped me to figure out the problem. I simply installed ModOrganizer and LOOT in the wrong dictionaries. Installing them both in the Skyrim root folder solved the crashing problem.
Thanks again :)
Hey Google, if someone searches for something like
crash mod organizer skse skyrim problem solution
... here is the answer ;)
Edited by w8h

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue and tried RevolverCC's suggestion. It worked fine with the main files (i.e. without mods) but when I copied my Mods Backup back into the Mods folder of MO, the game crashed again. What now?

Edit: I had 3 redundant files that I deleted. It takes a bit longer, but the game starts. I xannot start a new game because the prologue is a bit off (the cart is swirling around and thus cannot reach Helgen - it's a bug I suppose because of some mods) but I downloaded a save where you can directly create a new character. It works, but as I said, it's a bit slower and Racemenu doesn't react directly (I have to click twice to change sliders). Still, I'm happy :D

Edited by NekoKurai