Modders and "it's for private use only"

Moire

This is just my personal opinion, but I wish a moderator would close this topic.

I agree. This serves little purpose but ranting, since no matter how many people want something they can't have and want to stop others doing what those others have full right to do, this is not going to happen. Here should be a rude recommendation "to find something better to do", but I'll resist the temptation.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, this thread is ridiculous and offending, and yet laughable at the same time. Just because someone else worked hard on a mod and decides not to share doesn't give you the rights to it. Where the heck does that come off of anyways? As someone similarily stated, do you ask the guy who just drove up in a shiny brand new corvette if you can have it?

Second, also stated before, take up modding for yourself. Learn the tools and use them.

Thirdly, to those who whine about how they can't do it, I say BS. If you can learn to type and reply in a forum, then you can just as easily learn the modding tools available. There are a plethora of tutorials with step by step instructions on how to mod available both with modelling programs and scripting. When someone states that they can't do it, I call laziness. If you genuinely tried and still are having difficulties, you can always ask for help from either here or the bethsoft forums.

Your right, but from what I'm understanding from the op (unless Im somehow mistaken) is not that people necessarilly feel entitled to the works of other people, but that there must be some other way that people can show off their talent in a respectful way thats not doing the whole "ha ha I have it and you dont" aspect. Honestly I dont really care one way or another, but from a devils advocate's position I can see where people would see that kind of attitude.

Perhaps TESNexus can have its own section in their mod databases for postings related to private mods that clearly indicates that "nothing in these screenshots will be, at anytime, available to the public". That way people know hands down whats available and whats off limits in a way that doesnt mix public and private mods together. I -think- thats all their really asking for.

I do have to admit too that your comments insinuating that anyone can read a tutorial and learn to mod is kind of an unfair generalization. Just because someone can take a high-school art class does not mean they will (ever) be able to paint "Starry Night" (For those who dont know, its a Van Gogh).

Honestly how is it any different from a company like Ferrari or Bugatti releasing one of their highly exclusive cars that most of use have no hope of ever sitting in one, let alone owning and are left drooling over images of them. In both cases people can cry "its not fair", but who ever made a magical rule that everything made or released must be available to everyone, this isn't kindergarden and I'm sure everyone has heard it but. . . "Life's not fair"

Now that thats out of my system I agree that this thread is kinda pointless and should be closed for the better.

If there's one thing that irks me about so-called "private" mods, it's not that they are are absolutely private - I respect that in every way and understand if giving them out would violate laws of copyright and use - but when certain "private" mods are actually released to the public on an exclusive site, but in turn that site establishes requirements that are nigh impossible to reach unless you are of certain citizenship and/or have fluent knowledge of the language that meet those requirements. It's like killing potential fans of your works because something that's likely beyond your control is constantly getting in the way, only accomplishing a false sense of security and therefore what I would basically call outright discrimination.

In my opinion, It's probably best that if you're a modder, you keep your released works at most semi-exclusive and not at just one site - You'll get a lot more overall respect. But if you really want to keep it exclusive, just advertise where your stuff is in your signature at whatever forums you are involved in, and keep the requirements need to get them easy and possible for all those interested.

I've made (to this day) three mods for Oblivion. However, I made them specifically for my use for several reasons. The issue for me simply boils down to the fact that I am a staunch believer in "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Since I dislike having excrement rubbed in my face, I refuse to do it to others by rubbing it in that I have a mod that nobody else has.

I'm not saying I ever did anything as epic as some of Speed Buster's mod, but I still take pride in what little I scrapped together.

Like I said, I think this whole issue could be solved rather simply by (and I'm going to use a dirty word here) segregating the private mods and or screenshots of private mods completely seperate from the public. TESNexus could even take it a step further and not even allow the public to view the shots in that section and have it an exclusive for top modders who have submitted a number of public mods to the site.

But thats just me. If people decide not to go for something like that and continue to publicly post private mods on a public modding site, then they have no real right to complain when people ask them to release their private works since the modder brought it on themselves. *Shrugs*

I personally think everyone on this thread is right, lifes not fair and your not going to be able to get every mod you see, but at the same time theirs no reason to handle such mods in ways that most people would percieve as rude. There are more constructive methods for dealing with such mods, and its up to the owners of those websites to figure out how best to please both sides. Case closed.

They made the mod, they can decide whether you can use it. Suck it up and deal. The modder's lives don't revolve around YOU, do they?

On dA, many jewelry makes display their art proudly. Do I PM them saying "Hey, you displayed an awesome Cthulhu ring. Give me one. For free"? No, 'cause it's rude and stupid.

So why are you doing the equivalent?

First, this thread is ridiculous and offending, and yet laughable at the same time. Just because someone else worked hard on a mod and decides not to share doesn't give you the rights to it. Where the heck does that come off of anyways? As someone similarily stated, do you ask the guy who just drove up in a shiny brand new corvette if you can have it?

Second, also stated before, take up modding for yourself. Learn the tools and use them.

Thirdly, to those who whine about how they can't do it, I say BS. If you can learn to type and reply in a forum, then you can just as easily learn the modding tools available. There are a plethora of tutorials with step by step instructions on how to mod available both with modelling programs and scripting. When someone states that they can't do it, I call laziness. If you genuinely tried and still are having difficulties, you can always ask for help from either here or the bethsoft forums.

Your right, but from what I'm understanding from the op (unless Im somehow mistaken) is not that people necessarilly feel entitled to the works of other people, but that there must be some other way that people can show off their talent in a respectful way thats not doing the whole "ha ha I have it and you dont" aspect. Honestly I dont really care one way or another, but from a devils advocate's position I can see where people would see that kind of attitude.

Perhaps TESNexus can have its own section in their mod databases for postings related to private mods that clearly indicates that "nothing in these screenshots will be, at anytime, available to the public". That way people know hands down whats available and whats off limits in a way that doesnt mix public and private mods together. I -think- thats all their really asking for.

I do have to admit too that your comments insinuating that anyone can read a tutorial and learn to mod is kind of an unfair generalization. Just because someone can take a high-school art class does not mean they will (ever) be able to paint "Starry Night" (For those who dont know, its a Van Gogh).

I still don't agree with this. Do you tell an artist who just painted something like Starry Night "No you can't put that private painting on public display because your talent is just too good?" Heck with that type of thinking, why'd never have public libraries, museums, art exhibits, etc, all of which have things that are privately owned.... more or less.

And I still stand by my original statement. The modding tools out there are very powerful and very easy to use once learned. Still no excuse.

I still don't agree with this. Do you tell an artist who just painted something like Starry Night "No you can't put that private painting on public display because your talent is just too good?" Heck with that type of thinking, why'd never have public libraries, museums, art exhibits, etc, all of which have things that are privately owned.... more or less.

And I still stand by my original statement. The modding tools out there are very powerful and very easy to use once learned. Still no excuse.

Your precisely right, but at the same time as long as private modders are going to put stuff on display without some way of making it clear from the very beginning that "my version is off limits, if you want it make it yourself of find someone who can do their own version of it for you" then those private modders can't really complain when people come crying to them to release their private work. Having worked (and still do) in customer service, unless you have some method of blatantly and irrefutably declaring that "no means exactly that" people are still going to ask for it.

Which is precisely why I dont show off my work because I did it for myself so all that matters is that I'm proud of it.

The not having museums argument is a bit off though. Your origional argument was basically that Van Gogh painted Starry Night and that I had no right to walk into the museum and say "Give me that painting, I want it". And your right, its outright absurd no matter how you look at it. I think, if Im reading you correctly, what you meant to say was that no ones stopping these people from going into the museum, setting up an easel and duplicating the painting on their own (except maybe the museum guards....but I digress). And your exactly right, no PERSON is stopping people from attempting to duplicate other peoples work even if it is attempting to make an exact replica, only their skill. But as a modder myself I have to say that your oversimplifying the process at least a bit. Not everyone has the natural abilities that modders such as Speed Buster, or the german guys who did Nehrim, etc.

People can spend years and years trying to reach the kind of level that most personal modders have reached and never get their. I think its unfair on the public and cheapening those modders abilities to say that everyone can. True everyone can read a step by step tutorial on how to make a custom race based on the Brenton, but not everyone can throw together a historically accurate and highly detailed model of a WW1 Bi-plane with a HD quality skin and fully animate it with all custom made animations. Thats just being unrealistic.

Am I the only one that thinks this discussion is leading nowhere ?

I mean , there is actual point to it , just us ,taking sides , what we say here will not make any modder change his mind and publish his private mods , and will not stop it to share images , if not on Nexus then on other sites.

You don't like that someone is not sharing his work ,work in which he invested maybe lots of his free time and places screenshots here and there... what's your problem , may I ask ? Is it that important if you can't get that mod ? Don't play it ? Will it change your life , make you be nicer with others ? If it does , then my sincerest apologies for questioning you.

Yes , I used another color , and yes I am aware of my sarcasm in the last phrase , no offense.

But here's the catch - If people are making replicas of your private armor, and have the guts to even make pictures of or even upload the replica mesh and texture, who is the fool - You, for not realizing the vast popularity of your own private mod, or them, who undoubtedly without permission attempted to copy your own work, and is now showcasing or distributing it freely? And if it is done, what is the jurisdiction of that content - It is based on your work, and therefore a derivative, but at the same time it is actually their own creation, so should you have a say on how their own copied work should be handled and if they have permission to distribute or even show it?