I HATE this game!

happytreefri3nds

I read this thread and I see the author's points, I agree with some (get a lot of cm partner mods and wait for one of them training hits another and the whole city goes to hell) However as someone said before if you do not like something, there is a mod for that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad truth is that these critiques apply to all modern PC games and its the reason PC gaming is going extinct. Have you compared the racks of PC games to those for console in Best Buy recently? Its like comparing the species diversity of Death Valley with that of the Amazon Rain Forest.

Oblivion is great not because the base game is any good. The base game sucks balls for all the reasons listed in the article. I think I played Vanilla Oblivion for an hour b4 saying, "to hell wiht this."

My disagreement here is that you assume all modern FRPG games don't suck balls just as much. Take NWN 2. Unstable, Diluted Role play Compared to NWN 1, Overstretched Graphics Engine... sound familiar. Or FABLE. Unstable (atleast on my PC I had to uninstall the thing), Repeatative Dialogue, Oversimplified Character Skills. As for MMOs like WOW. They all have the same design plan as that rat experiment with the button and the cheese. They aren't about RP they are about hooking the player in to pay more monthly fees by connecting their ego with an artificial digital world. No comparison there.

The one thing that separates Oblivion from all the other trash that has pushed gamers toward the console, is that IT CAN BE FIXED. NWN 2 will always suck, FABLE will always look like some Brittish fantasy writer's acid trip, but Oblivion... Oblivion can be whatever you want it to be if you have the skills and the patience to deal with the CS (yes you are right it is unstable as all hell).

That's why I love this game. Because its the only game that allows the players to fix the game designer's mistakes. To enjoy it you must climb a steep learning curve but that's why these forums are here.

Oblivion is a pain, but a pain I gladly felt since it's release.

I have red that article some time ago and I agree with most of the things it mentions, but look at the bright side, you have the freedom the change it to fit your tastes. :thumbsup:

exactly :smile:

Heh, I actually played the game for a solid year vanilla before ever modding it. I actually liked it just the way it was, it's a good game modded or not. But the little things start to bug ya after awhile (stupid console HUD), but it's easily changed :smile: I love modders :biggrin:

The sad truth is that these critiques apply to all modern PC games and its the reason PC gaming is going extinct. Have you compared the racks of PC games to those for console in Best Buy recently? Its like comparing the species diversity of Death Valley with that of the Amazon Rain Forest.

Oblivion is great not because the base game is any good. The base game sucks balls for all the reasons listed in the article. I think I played Vanilla Oblivion for an hour b4 saying, "to hell wiht this."

My disagreement here is that you assume all modern FRPG games don't suck balls just as much. Take NWN 2. Unstable, Diluted Role play Compared to NWN 1, Overstretched Graphics Engine... sound familiar. Or FABLE. Unstable (atleast on my PC I had to uninstall the thing), Repeatative Dialogue, Oversimplified Character Skills. As for MMOs like WOW. They all have the same design plan as that rat experiment with the button and the cheese. They aren't about RP they are about hooking the player in to pay more monthly fees by connecting their ego with an artificial digital world. No comparison there.

The one thing that separates Oblivion from all the other trash that has pushed gamers toward the console, is that IT CAN BE FIXED. NWN 2 will always suck, FABLE will always look like some Brittish fantasy writer's acid trip, but Oblivion... Oblivion can be whatever you want it to be if you have the skills and the patience to deal with the CS (yes you are right it is unstable as all hell).

That's why I love this game. Because its the only game that allows the players to fix the game designer's mistakes. To enjoy it you must climb a steep learning curve but that's why these forums are here.

This is wery true, of all the games i played till now, including those u mentioned, i never gone back to play those, except oblivion. Even the haters of oblivion are still here whining about its system, but they feel the same as the ppl who love this game, they are just angry becouse they know this could have been done much more better, but thats why Bethesda released CS in the first place, since they were lacking time to do things right or maybe they had limited resources, i can only guess it was their plan from the begging and maybe to see how strong the comunity would be to make it continue with another TES game. Im still here and playng this game becouse of the little wish i have/ we all have...to make oblivion truly a game worth of its history. In my eyes Bethesda made the right choice making this game moddable, i think the future is in games who will be shaped not only by the creators but players aswell, making them collaborate together and finding new ways/ things that could help the game push the experience further. Im anxious to see where this will go.

I love every single game of The Elder Scrolls - even Battlespire! All, except Oblivion.

I'm open to opinion - just PLEASE TELL ME WHY U LIKE THIS GAME!

My opinion is 100% summed up by this:

http://sites.google.com/site/damicat/

BTW, this is my first post - hello everyone!

EDIT: I apologise for being unclear and sounding like a troll :sad: - I am really just curious to see why u guys love the game so much. I love a good, freindly debate WITHOUT insults :thumbsup: .

Well first off, for the PC (which is what your talking about), you can download mods to change the user interfaces, maps, EVERYTHING. You can change hotkeys, controls, anything with mods or the simple Options tab. So I believe your statement is invalid.

My answer to almost any problem someone has with Oblivion, at least for the PC, is that there's very little in the game that's not enjoyable that can't be modified and improved.

I played Oblivion for about a year, Vanilla for awhile, and then started modding. Every mod is like a new adventure, the game is never the same after a few days. I just got back into it, downloading Kyoma's journal mod for the first time, and I honestly feel like it's a new game. I didn't have to shell out more money for a new game, Oblivion gives me a new experience every time. Further, I feel very free in the world. Once you turn off borders, download the Elseweyr mod and the other provinces that are available, you're truly set free in a huge, huge world.

The criticisms posted are really nitpicky. And, as I've said, anything you don't like can easily be modified to your liking, which is why Oblivion rightly deserves its place as one of the best games on the market, despite it being several years old. The mods keep it new and exciting.

• 1 month later...

I never saw this before and i found it fascinating: I see a landmark from far away and i can walk there without any zoning with loading screens. There is no snowlevel, no desertlevel and no swamplevel, i can walk from one into the other without a loading screen sometimes even miss the subtle changes that occur when you wander the imperial reserve.

This merges with the freedom in the game. I can not only walk anywhere, i can do anything. I can train every ability by using it, i can enchant my gear to make the game ridiculously easy or not; i'm the one who chooses if i want to enchant my stuff with 100% chameleon or not and i love the game for letting me do so if i please.

In Oblivion, my Liberties in the gameworld are bigger then most other RPGs combined and that's what i love about the game.

No game should need mods just to make it playable.

Interesting statement... considering that there are hundreds of games that require patches "just to make it playable", but everyone seems to see it natural. Are mods and patches really that different from this angle? :smile: